More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 05:42:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Being Expelled From Uni
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Being Expelled From Uni  (Read 12311 times)
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
Being Expelled From Uni
« on: 2007 June 07, 21:51:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just what does a YA have to do in order to be expelled?  I have a girl in the Greek House who has been on probation now 3 times, but she's still not been chucked-out.  She has also been to several finals with her bar in the red and not got put onto probation and at least once with it in the red when she was on probation.  I've had other sims go to their finals with the bar in the red and nothing untoward has happened to them, either.  Is it because she's in a Greek house?

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Being Expelled From Uni
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 07, 22:34:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you have to fail while on probation.
I've only done it once, and that was fully intentional.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Baronetess
vcline
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 07, 22:42:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have her skip the final.  That's how I got Mickey Dosser from LFT kicked out.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 07, 23:50:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not that I want her kicked-out, she's close to graduating anyway, I'm just puzzled as to what has to be done for it to happen.  You'd think that if they'd been on probation several times, plus taking a final they're still in the red for, that would be enough, but presumably not.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 08, 00:34:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Going to the final grants sufficient grade points to earn a passing score even if you haven't done anything, with the Fall boost in effect. Only not going at all guarantees auto-fail (It seems the fall boost also applies to negative pointage).

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 08, 00:36:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think they have to be on probation two consecutive semesters.  If the probationary semesters aren't consecutive, I don't think anything bad will happen.

At the university where I work (and also at the two where I earned degrees, and the two where my children earned degrees), if you are on academic probation for two consecutive semesters you have to leave school and go somewhere else for 2 semesters, earning decent grades, before you can be readmitted.  Not that this means that's the way it is in the game.  But I'm pretty sure I read the thing about 2 consecutive semesters somewhere.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 12, 20:48:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it's not possible to be on probation 2 semesters in a row; after being on probation (repeating a semester), either you pass and are thusly off probation and on to the next semester, or you fail and are kicked out.

INFP or something
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 June 12, 23:04:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually just did this (on purpose) for the first time
I think I let him go to a class or two first semester, but he was put on probation for the second.
Second semester (on probation) he didn't go to class, no assignments, no term paper, no exam and bang - Expelled.

Unfortunately, I hadn't realized at the time that the whole 'family' gets sent home if one gets expelled, (and less than 4 students are so boring) so 4 "4th semester on the  Dean's list" students went with him back to the main neighbourhood. (that kinda sucked, though it's easy to get them there I may send them back!?)

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 June 13, 11:48:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately, I hadn't realized at the time that the whole 'family' gets sent home if one gets expelled, (and less than 4 students are so boring) so 4 "4th semester on the  Dean's list" students went with him back to the main neighbourhood. (that kinda sucked, though it's easy to get them there I may send them back!?)
That is definitely not supposed to happen.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
DavidC
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 June 13, 12:16:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just did this with a sim who's life I'm trying to make hard... but this game is so dam easy  Roll Eyes When she got to the first semester of senior year I didn't let her go to the final exam and she got put on academic probation and had to repeat the semester and I made sure she failed again, then she was expelled with 2 want locks and 4 fear slots Smiley She had also got on academic probation twice earlier on but they were in different terms... they have to fail the same term twice to be expelled. Oh and she was living in a Greek house at the time and this didn't effect any of the other sims there.
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 June 20, 21:22:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No definitely not.  I tested it in a completely vanilla game where Mickey Dosser got expelled and left alone.  Back to my regular game and he got expelled and took the other guys with him.

ISFJ
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 June 20, 21:26:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is screwed up EAxian default families? Because I got Sim-Brynne kicked out in Awesomeland 1 and this didn't happen.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2007 June 22, 22:14:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently noticed, whilst mucking about in SimPE, that all of the premade default uni sims are flagged as family (unspecified or unknown as opposed to parent, sibling, etc) to every other premade default uni sim, even if they could not possibly be related. Perhaps this has something to with it?

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 June 23, 21:15:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have also had my own created sims get moved out together when only one should have gone. The sim that is supposed to leave gets into the taxi, the rest just walk off the lot. It has to be the work of the non-awesome.  Im thinking it could be a Monique hack bc thats the one I know deals with Uni, possibly the computer.

ISFJ
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 June 27, 16:51:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Frankly I find it pretty annoying that the consequences for uni students aren't more defined.  I have 2 YA female students at uni now, one is a knowledge sim who does all her assignments, goes to class, and is frankly having trouble making friends because her wants all concern getting her damn term paper done.  She goes to the semester final and gets on the dean's list.  Her friend from the neighbourhood is a popularity sim with wants to make lots of friends, have parties etc.  She only goes to class, but does bugger all else academically.  She went to the final and makes it onto the dean's list.  Isn't there a way to get a B or a C in uni?  From now on, I'm not sending her to class.  She'll graduate anyway.

Tribulatio proxima est
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 June 27, 17:53:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Isn't there a way to get a B or a C in uni?

If she doesn't do homework or go to class, she won't get an "A". Just watch the Class Performance bar and don't let it go much above half way. If you want her to get aspiration points for doing assignments, have her do other sims' assignments. I don't know if having another playable sim influence her to write his or her term paper will fulfill the write-term-paper want, but it's worth a try, especially if the other sim has the want to influence someone to write his or her paper.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 June 28, 11:45:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

She only goes to class, but does bugger all else academically.  She went to the final and makes it onto the dean's list.  Isn't there a way to get a B or a C in uni?

Was this in autumn, or does it happen every season?  Due to the autumn study bonus, it doesn't take much study to max out grades in autumn.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 June 28, 13:04:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Was this in autumn, or does it happen every season?  Due to the autumn study bonus, it doesn't take much study to max out grades in autumn.

Don't have Seasons installed, so I have no way of knowing what season it is.  Generally looks like high summer in my game.  Hence, the autumn study bonus is not a factor here.  All she did was go to class every day, complete one assignment, and go to the final on time.  The rest of the time, she was socializing, partying (unfortunately no woohoo yet because she has not concentrated on one single relationship that much - her wants revolve around having lots of friends).  She is generally in platinum mood, due to her activities, which might be why she also does well at the Uni.

I don't want her to get expelled or fail.  I just think she's not really academically minded and should not find it that easy to get on the honours list.  A "B" or "C" grade would be more realistic.

Tribulatio proxima est
Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 June 28, 13:36:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That shouldn't be difficult. Just don't go to class except for the final. Manage the grade bar by getting the needed skills on the first day, doing the term paper the second day, and then fill in with assignments as necessary to reach the desired level. A paper and one assignment should get you to about 1/2 full, which is a C. Only do as much group research as is necessary to fulfill the want, and do it with only one other sim. Complete other sims' assignments to fulfill the assignment want. Don't socialize with professors or discuss school with other sims.

Semester points are assigned on a per-hour basis, so your actual results may vary. Classes score 100 points per hour, assignments 90 points, and the paper 108 points.

An easier way is to not get all the skill points needed to open the entire performance bar for the semester. Your sim won't get a higher grade than the bar can go, no matter how much school work she does. If two skills are needed and she has only one, the best grade she can get is a "C". If she needs three skill points and has only two, she will probably get a "B", but will certainly not get an "A".

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 June 28, 15:15:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, bang goes the "limit skill points" strategy.  My playable student was a teen in the neighbourhood before she went to uni, so she already has quite a number of skill points, especially creativity and logic (she likes the musical instruments and playing chess with friends).  Consequently, she is high enough in skills already to have an expanded performance bar.  I'll try limiting class attendance and overall academic work, without having her fail out.

If she still graduates with high marks, I guess I'll live with it.

Tribulatio proxima est
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 June 28, 15:16:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems to me the size of the bar changes as you go thorugh uni. For instance, first semester freshman year, a term paper fills like, 2/3 of the full bar; but final semester senior year, it's closer to 1/3

INFP or something
Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 June 28, 15:42:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, bang goes the "limit skill points" strategy.  My playable student was a teen in the neighbourhood before she went to uni, so she already has quite a number of skill points, especially creativity and logic (she likes the musical instruments and playing chess with friends).  Consequently, she is high enough in skills already to have an expanded performance bar.

With testing cheats enabled, you can drag the skill bars down to where they're below what she needs for the semester (or to zero if you like), and make her earn those skill points all over again. She's already gotten the scholarship money and it's too late to for it to be taken away.   Grin 

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 June 28, 18:06:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fair enough, but she's legitimately earned those skill points (or rather, I made her legitimately earn those skill points).  I'm just looking for a way to get more realistic grades for her, given the current situation.  Not planning to "punish" her for her previous successes.  She will keep her skills and simply bag out of classes for a bit.  Should free up social time and make her very happy.

Tribulatio proxima est
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 July 01, 17:33:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately, I hadn't realized at the time that the whole 'family' gets sent home if one gets expelled, (and less than 4 students are so boring) so 4 "4th semester on the  Dean's list" students went with him back to the main neighbourhood.

Being that I'd never actually played University before, I assumed it was 'as designed' but seeing as other, likely unrelated issues have turned my game to a smouldering ball... I decided to sift through my zillion indispensible hacks to find the problem.  Is anyone surprised it's Inteen?

In a way I was relieved that it was so easy to isolate, but at the same time... boo freaking de-hoo Cry
birth control, instant delivery and the occasional knocked up teen makes my game better. 

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 July 01, 19:49:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inteen seems to be the source of alot of things that dont work right in my game.  Luckily most have a work around anyway so I leave it in.

ISFJ
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: