More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 08, 13:35:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6517 Members
Latest Member: zebez
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Objects from Sims' inventory unable to cast shadows
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Objects from Sims' inventory unable to cast shadows  (Read 11575 times)
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
Re: Objects from Sims' inventory unable to cast shadows
« Reply #25 on: 2005 October 16, 13:21:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Scotbo - to take the degrees off the wall you have to select the sim and have them take the degree.  Click on it and you should have an option to view it, and if the degree is theirs, an option to take it.  I tried to place one in inventory like you do everything else, and I couldn't, then remembered you could have them take it the other way.

And, I forgot, I did have problems with some of the career rewards.  One time it was the chocolate factory and another time it was the surgical dummy.  But other houses had those same objects and placed ok, so those were inconsistent.  I never had a problem with the punching bag, and I know I moved at least two of those.

I think at the time I moved these families I didn't have any hacks in, because I don't think anything was NL "approved" yet.  And I use very few, anyway.

Thanks MaxoidTom, but I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable players who visit this board.  I just know that this is what happened when I moved these families!  Grin

Found out while playing last night that another double bed was a problem.  The three double beds I've used are the colonial, the four-poster, and the funky platform bed.  The platform bed was the one that gave me trouble with woohoo last night.

I also have a wierd thing happen occasionally (only a couple of times so far) where it looks like a sim is in the bed, but there's no one there.  The covers are heaped up like someone is in bed, and no one can use the bed (or that side of the bed, if it's a double).  When it first happened, it was a single bed and the sim was able to get in like usual, and when they got up and made the bed it made up normally.  But this just happened again in a double bed, which had already been made, I think, and that side of the bed was unusable.  I had to wake up the sleeper to buy them another bed so the spouse could go to bed!  The first time it happened was pre-NL, and I have NL and the installed the patch the first day it was available.  So that may be a glitch related to my computer.  It's only happened since I bought my new Dell XPS Gen 5 with the GeForce 6800 graphics card.

And, just for you people who are still using what I just got rid of for computer systems (was a 2.2 Ghtz, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 5500 with 256 MB RAM), even with 3.8 Ghtz, 2 GB RAM, and the faster, better graphics card, I still get lag when a car or sim enters the lot.  They just move a little faster.  Community lots are still slower when there's a lot of sims on them.  But I have great graphics!  I actually even have textures on stuff I didn't know HAD textures! LOL!  I could probably get rid of the lag by lowering my graphics settings, but I love the look more than I'm interested in speeding up the little bit of lag I get. 

So don't get in a big hurry to buy a better computer.  I really didn't notice a huge difference in speed of movement.

Edit:  I submitted the inventory placement problem on the website.
« Last Edit: 2005 October 16, 14:38:58 by ElviraGoth » Logged

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2005 October 16, 15:53:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Noticed something new:

Yesterday, I tried to place a brand new bed against a 45 degree angle wall. It acted just like a bed that I took out of inventory: I couldn't place it against the wall. I had to use moveobjects on to place it. Now, I've never placed a bed before at a 45 degree angle, so I don't know if you always have to use the moveobjects cheat (although I doubt it as I don't have to use it for other objects).

BUT - two of the three houses where I first tried to place a double bed / dresser from a sims inventory were in rooms that had a 45 degree angle wall. (Can't remember if the third one did or not.) Since this problem with the inventory doesn't happen all the time, it got me thinking that maybe the 45 degree angle walls have something to do with it?  Huh I'm not sure why that would be, but then again, I didn't understand why a maid wouldn't clean a room with a door at a 45 degree angle either.  Undecided

Has anyone else noticed whether or not their was a diagonal wall / door in the room where you had a problem placing an item from inventory?
Scotbo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005 October 16, 17:48:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: ElviraGoth
Scotbo - to take the degrees off the wall you have to select the sim and have them take the degree.  Click on it and you should have an option to view it, and if the degree is theirs, an option to take it.  I tried to place one in inventory like you do everything else, and I couldn't, then remembered you could have them take it the other way.

Thanks, Elvira.  I think I actually did try to get the sim to take it, but I only saw the option to view when I clicked on it.  It may not have been the degree owner selected, so that was likely the problem. I've tried to move the buffet in several houses now and it still won't work though. Has anyone else noticed this?

I also have a wierd thing happen occasionally (only a couple of times so far) where it looks like a sim is in the bed, but there's no one there.  The covers are heaped up like someone is in bed, and no one can use the bed (or that side of the bed, if it's a double).  When it first happened, it was a single bed and the sim was able to get in like usual, and when they got up and made the bed it made up normally.  But this just happened again in a double bed, which had already been made, I think, and that side of the bed was unusable.  I had to wake up the sleeper to buy them another bed so the spouse could go to bed!  The first time it happened was pre-NL, and I have NL and the installed the patch the first day it was available.  So that may be a glitch related to my computer.  It's only happened since I bought my new Dell XPS Gen 5 with the GeForce 6800 graphics card.

I've had this problem on occasion too with the base game, prior to installing any expansion packs.  I don't think it was ever fixed, because I still have it happen once in awhile.  I think it might be related to invisible sims on the lot.  I've had it happpen with chairs and couches too.  I also encountered an invisible sim in the Goth house the other day.  He/she was sitting at the dinner table and you could see the food being eaten, but couldn't see who was eating it. I thought this was fixed with a patch, but apparently the problem is back again if it was.

Quote from: simmiecal
Noticed something new:

Yesterday, I tried to place a brand new bed against a 45 degree angle wall. It acted just like a bed that I took out of inventory: I couldn't place it against the wall. I had to use moveobjects on to place it. Now, I've never placed a bed before at a 45 degree angle, so I don't know if you always have to use the moveobjects cheat (although I doubt it as I don't have to use it for other objects).

BUT - two of the three houses where I first tried to place a double bed / dresser from a sims inventory were in rooms that had a 45 degree angle wall. (Can't remember if the third one did or not.) Since this problem with the inventory doesn't happen all the time, it got me thinking that maybe the 45 degree angle walls have something to do with it?  Huh I'm not sure why that would be, but then again, I didn't understand why a maid wouldn't clean a room with a door at a 45 degree angle either.  Undecided

Has anyone else noticed whether or not their was a diagonal wall / door in the room where you had a problem placing an item from inventory?

simmiecal, I'm pretty sure that there were no diagonal or 45 degree walls in any of the rooms where I encountered the problem.  It's a good thought though, as doors on these walls seem to be buggy.

Btw, I am grateful to have found this forum.  I'd just like to thank JM Pescado for all his hard work and also MaxoidTom for taking the time to help us out.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005 October 16, 18:20:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the same problem but I notice this, though it is a temporary solution since it should definitely be fix.

I place objects on the lots from the inventory and for some reason could not place them against the wall, I saved the lot, reload it, place back those items in the Sim inventory, save again then reload, took them from the inventory and place them back and they were ok.  Complicated but it worked so far in my case, it is useful for people that don't want to use boolprop.

« Last Edit: 2005 October 16, 19:08:18 by Missdoh » Logged
Havelock
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005 October 16, 19:19:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the same Shadowprob in my game but not with every object i place in my sims Inventory. My error Log displays this errors for my Objects. 

ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'groundshadow' in 'chairDiningCommunityLot'
.\source\TSSGShadow.cpp(1586)
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'southwallshadow' in 'stereoModerate'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'eastwallshadow' in 'stereoModerate'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'westwallshadow' in 'stereoModerate'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'groundshadow' in 'tableEndOctagonal'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'northwallshadow' in 'tableEndOctagonal'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'southwallshadow' in 'tableEndOctagonal'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'eastwallshadow' in 'tableEndOctagonal'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'westwallshadow' in 'tableEndOctagonal'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'groundshadow' in 'chairDiningCommunityLot'

It is a verry long List if i move a complete Household. In my Game Beds could no longer placed against Walls same for Dressers, Bookcases, Rewardobjects and other Stuff. Today i have moved one Family to another lot und have seen from the same Chair 2 pieces have lost the shadows and 5 others plus the Diningtable not. It looks to me not every object placed in Inventorys looses the Shadows. And for Objects we cant get in the Inventorys the Jukebox is not placeable in it as well.
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2005 October 17, 02:34:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't use diagonal walls.  Don't like them.  They mess up my decorating schemes.

Have had a problem with a sofa once, where no one could sit on one of the cushions.  And dining chairs get "occupied" occasionally, as well.  I usually just sell them and buy new.

The first time I had an "in use" problem was with the dartboard in the Dreamer house.  This was with the base game.  No one could play darts because it supposedly was being played by someone, but there wasn't anyone there.  That was when I started going to the official board, and found out I had to use moveobjects to get rid of it, since I couldn't sell it.  Other little things got me looking around until I found VS and JM, and I followed him here because these people seem to know the most about this game.

I have had the shadow missing problem show up before (pre-moving with NL), also duplicate audio sounds and "missing hat" something or other.  Also missing animations.  Just from a few times checking my logs.  I assume it happens if there's something your system doesn't have that is available, or if you have something turned off in your game settings.  Are these things the cause of some of the glitches I get?  Right now, I have a weird glitch when sims are studying.  While they are holding the book, occassionally one hand and the book will "dip" down to their lap for a split second.  Doesn't happen all the time, and will only happen in some dorms and regular neighborhood houses.  One dorm may have it happen with everyone when they study, and another won't.  One house has it, none of the others do.  Can't pinpoint a cause - whether it's an object on the lot or something else.

Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2005 October 17, 02:35:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also have a wierd thing happen occasionally (only a couple of times so far) where it looks like a sim is in the bed, but there's no one there.  The covers are heaped up like someone is in bed, and no one can use the bed (or that side of the bed, if it's a double).
I've had this problem on occasion too with the base game, prior to installing any expansion packs.  I don't think it was ever fixed, because I still have it happen once in awhile.  I think it might be related to invisible sims on the

Mom:  "Little Johnny, it's past your bed time."

Little Johnny:  "But I can't go to bed, Mom.  My invisible friend is already sleeping there!"

The Sims 2 gets more lifelike every day. Cheesy

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005 October 17, 02:37:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good one, Hook.  I've thought that a time or two myself!  Grin

That or the darn thing's haunted.  Except I have no deaths in the hood yet, so no ghosts.

"I see dead people."

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: