More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 11:40:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Help, one of my sims isn't aging
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Help, one of my sims isn't aging  (Read 25715 times)
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
Re: Help, one of my sims isn't aging
« Reply #25 on: 2007 June 04, 03:45:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Drivers wear the ugly brown jumpsuits, and cannot be interacted with. Occasionally they walk by downtown, or get gypsy- or well-summoned apparently.
They're the Sims driving the taxis and carpools.

I guess that I've been lucky, none of my sims have ever seen a driver.  I rarely use the gypsy because I am sort of a control freak about which sims I allow my sims to get intimate with (plus, I get angry when my knowledge sim's turn ons are vamps and blondes and instead of getting the contessa I get Meadow Thayer...And I had to pay 4600 simoleans for a sim that walks by all of my houses like 30 times a day...woo).  Even my romance sims mostly just find their woohoo-buddies from the walk by parade.  And my community lots seem to be cursed by sadorandom.  I'll take my single romance sim out for a night of dancing and the club will be filled with 300 cats, 200 dogs, and exactly 2 non-NPC sims.  But I digress.

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 June 04, 04:01:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use TJ's crystal ball instead of the gypsy.  Gives you a choice of sims to pick, and can be configured to ignore specific age groups, committed status, gender preferences, townies, npcs or playables.  Actually, I use it more to find people that my sims will make friends with easily.  But also to find spouses.  Combined with ACR it makes the game interesting further down the track, when they meet their two- or three-bolt best friends on community lots Wink

I use TJ's visitor controller (original version here, new beta version here) to stop the pets appearing on community lots in the neighbourhoods where I have strays.  Since I also use clean templates from the Peasanty section of the board, most of my neighbourhoods don't have strays anyway.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
fff
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 June 04, 04:12:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about the psychiatrist/psychologist/guy who appears when your Sim spazzes out? I've heard he produces hideous offspring, but is that the only reason I should prevent him from bumping uglies with any of my Sims?
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 June 04, 04:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

bumping uglies

tee hee

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 June 04, 05:27:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use TJ's crystal ball instead of the gypsy.  Gives you a choice of sims to pick, and can be configured to ignore specific age groups, committed status, gender preferences, townies, npcs or playables.  Actually, I use it more to find people that my sims will make friends with easily.  But also to find spouses.  Combined with ACR it makes the game interesting further down the track, when they meet their two- or three-bolt best friends on community lots Wink

I use TJ's visitor controller (original version here, new beta version here) to stop the pets appearing on community lots in the neighbourhoods where I have strays.  Since I also use clean templates from the Peasanty section of the board, most of my neighbourhoods don't have strays anyway.

Thank you thank you thank you!!  I'm already using ACR and I am enjoying the terrible situations it can create for some of my sims.  I always make sibs go to college all together, so I had an older sister, her boyfriend, and her twin younger sisters.  The twins were romance/knowledge.  The romance sim was constantly picking up random visitors and taking them to bed with her, but at least she left the boyfriend alone.  The KNOWLEDGE sim was the bad one!  If I didn't watch her every minute she would try to kiss or flirt with him!  Lucky for her she never did it while the sister was in the room.  That usually would have just amused me, but I want this sim to become an old spinster, possibly with an alien child.  But then I found macrotastics and made sure that she was in power idle anytime I wasn't paying attention to her.  Wow, I kind of got off the point there...

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 June 04, 10:18:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about the psychiatrist/psychologist/guy who appears when your Sim spazzes out? I've heard he produces hideous offspring, but is that the only reason I should prevent him from bumping uglies with any of my Sims?
It's already impossible to interact with the Shrink.  The only way to breed him is with copious amounds of cheating, and the offspring doesn't actually suffer any ill effects, aside from the trauma of not having a relationship with their father.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 June 04, 10:27:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The shrink is one of the unique objects.package NPCs without a character file, so he's not a real Sim. You might be able to lift his DNA if he has it, but not with normal gameplay methods.

I think I read on Varioussimmers once in a post by MaxoidTom that most of these don't really have DNA, but use a generic "fallback" DNA, which is essentially random. The Grim Reaper for example completely lacks facial data.
« Last Edit: 2007 June 04, 10:35:17 by Jordi » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 June 04, 11:12:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also... I like Kyna's idea of setting those "bad" sims as having negative gender pref towards both.  Perhaps this should be done with a patch automatically... or maybe something that twojeffs' ACR hack can include when running the randomizer.  Maybe all NPCs that are considered "bad" should be set to negative pref?
Uncertain this works. There is some evidence to suggest the preferences of townies and other nonplayables are specifically ignored.

Also... is there anyway to hack that phonecall thing from OFB to exclude all "bad" sims from showing up?  I think it would be a good idea if there was a hack/fix/patch for this, since a lot of people won't know any better and don't realize they should avoid interacting with these sims.
People who don't know any better wouldn't be using fixes from here anyway. It is therefore not considered a high priority.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 June 04, 11:29:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I sometimes wish the sims community had a clearer set of definition.  We tend to refer to Townies (regular non playable sims) and NPCs (maids and gardeners), but the only true NPCs, in the way most RPGs (which is where the term comes from) use it, are the Grim Reaper, the Hula Zombies, the Shrink, the Pollination Technitian, Mrs. Crumplebottom, Ideal plant sim, and if you have the holiday packs; Santa, Father Time and Toddler New Year.  The Social Bunnies are somewhere inbetween NPC and Worker, and so are the Social Worker, Drivers and Repo Man, I think.
I accidentally generated a Social Bunny with the townie tree once (it said shop worker or something like that on the label) and found that the bunny has a normal face and even a set of casual clothes underneath.  I deleted him (the safe way) to avoid very bad things.

Simpe does differentiate between working townies and true NPCs.  I guess I should be more careful in my wording too.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 June 04, 12:09:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Service NPCs to refer to townies-with-jobs such as the mailman, garderner, teachers etc.. The non-interactables could be called unique NPCs I guess.

Simpe's sorting is useless, since it includes unique NPCs without character data (Grimmy etc.) in its listing.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 June 04, 12:24:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess a golden rule of thumb is; never touch anyone in the default household.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 June 04, 17:21:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...or don't touch anyone you don't see on your screen/can't naturally flirt with. IIRC, you can't flirt with the Social Worker or the Repo Man. I know you can't with Grimmie, Crumplebum, hulas, drivers.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 June 04, 17:29:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed that if I "cheat" to make a townie selectable and move him/her into a household, that newly playable sim does not age, although everyone else in the house ages normally.  I got around this by adding or subtracting a day from the age of the sim (using InSim), and then resetting age (back to day one of the adult stage, for example).  After doing this, the sim aged normally with everyone else.  Hope this helps.

In my experience, the "newly selectable sim does not age" thing happens consistently and I always have to fix their aging as described above.

Tribulatio proxima est
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 June 04, 18:16:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...or don't touch anyone you don't see on your screen/can't naturally flirt with. IIRC, you can't flirt with the Social Worker or the Repo Man. I know you can't with Grimmie, Crumplebum, hulas, drivers.

One of my Sims got a Social Worker as a blind date once (this was several expansions ago -- may not be possible anymore, don't know).  They hit it off great, so I went into SimPE and gave her a real name (it was just "Social Worker").  They married and had several highly attractive Simlings. 

Sorry, I'm procrastinating at work and just felt like sharing that  Cheesy

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 2007 June 04, 19:01:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I sometimes wish the sims community had a clearer set of definition.  We tend to refer to Townies (regular non playable sims) and NPCs (maids and gardeners), but the only true NPCs, in the way most RPGs (which is where the term comes from) use it, are the Grim Reaper, the Hula Zombies, the Shrink, the Pollination Technitian, Mrs. Crumplebottom, Ideal plant sim, and if you have the holiday packs; Santa, Father Time and Toddler New Year.  The Social Bunnies are somewhere inbetween NPC and Worker, and so are the Social Worker, Drivers and Repo Man, I think.

Well, I think the only "definition" that matters is what the game considers an NPC.  PCs are basically sims that were created in CAS, born in-game from families that originated from CAS sims, or other sims that were made playable via marriage or moving in.  Townies are potentially playable sims.  Auto generated by the game and mostly fully functional as PC sims, except they are "immortal" or at least ageless (until they are married or moved in).  NPCs are similar to townies, but many of them have some kind of "special" job that they perform, and they have "special" uniforms and "special" additional programming to do whatever jobs they are assigned.  In some cases, there are NPCs that you can't interact with unless you cheat or there is some loophole (like the OFB business perks or using hacks to summon/teleport sims in).  Then there are the "special" and "unique" sim types like the Grim Reaper, Hula Dancer, etc. which you shouldn't be able to meet and don't have "full" sim character data.

As jordi points out, there are NPCs that are probably "safe" to move in or marry, but due to additional programming, they are kind of annoying and appear to be buggy, since they have a tendency to revert back to their NPC behaviour in often unpredictable ways.  This may not necessarily break your game or turn it into a BFBVFS, but it is probably best to avoid them anyways, unless you don't mind the weirdness. Tongue

Simpe does differentiate between working townies and true NPCs.  I guess I should be more careful in my wording too.

I thought SimPE does kind of differentiate between them.  If you list sims, townies are kinda grouped separately, no? 

I'm looking at Family Ties and Service NPCs have their own group.  I think townies are grouped by whatever townie names they are (I can't remember off the top of my head), or maybe they are alumped all togehter as Default?

I have noticed that if I "cheat" to make a townie selectable and move him/her into a household, that newly playable sim does not age, although everyone else in the house ages normally.  I got around this by adding or subtracting a day from the age of the sim (using InSim), and then resetting age (back to day one of the adult stage, for example).  After doing this, the sim aged normally with everyone else.  Hope this helps.

In my experience, the "newly selectable sim does not age" thing happens consistently and I always have to fix their aging as described above.

That's the thing is... if you "cheat' and make them selectable, the townie is still a townie.  The "true" way to make a sim playble is by using the Propose.../Move-In or Propose.../Marry options.   Making a sim selectable might not properly set all the sim data that allows the game to properly identify the sim as playable (so Age Controllers can recognize them and make them grow up properly).

Ste

Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2007 June 05, 04:53:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed that if I "cheat" to make a townie selectable and move him/her into a household, that newly playable sim does not age...

Good heavens!  People actually DO this??

i noticed than when one of my playable sims "married" an npc (the maid from strangetown).  he aged, she didn't. 

Apparently they do.  Oy.

Making a Sim selectable is not the same as moving them in.  No wonder people have problems.  Do like syberspunk says and use Propose/Move in instead.

I was messing around not long ago with making dormies selectable in Uni.  I noticed that there was a lot of weirdness, including the fact that they didn't get aspiration increases for fulfilling wants.  Even if you cheated them to platinum, it would go back to zero at the top of the next hour.  I suggest quitting without saving if you mess around like this. 

If you want to move someone in who can't normally be invited to move in, like a townie teen (do all male teens fall in love with Meadow?) then invite her over, spawn the Tombstone of L and D and use it to add her to the family.  At this point she can be grown up, either normally or with cheats, and your poor lovestruck Sim can marry her.  I can't guarantee that this is totally safe, but at least she ages normally, or did in the base game when I tried it.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 June 05, 07:21:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or use Inge's teleporters to add to family, that's also safe.
Making Sims selectable does not change their family ID, so essentially you turn them in greeted, controllable visitors. And visitors do not age, or count as babysitters.
MyPrecious
Blathering Buffoon

"And we don't want any of that nonsense, do we?"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 June 05, 08:37:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The driver in my game is gorgeous, and I have often wondered how I could get one of my females to meet him as I have a real lack of decent male DNA (lookswise anyway); but now I know this is bad, so thanks.

I have also always wondered if the Sims with hardcoded behaviour traits (like the streaker) pass the traits on if they do get the chance to produce offspring? Although I have no interest in most of the behaviours (such as the type of insanity the nannies show and the just plain weird jumping about by the cheerleaders, and the cow? I can't go there…) it has occurred to me that random streaking would be amusing.

A definition of loafing is; when you can't be bothered to open the curtains so you click the Glastonbury festival web cam to check the weather…

O môr henion i dhû:
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2007 June 05, 08:52:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not just hack a pregnancy with him as the donor? That way your sim doesn't even have to know him & you get all those precious hunky genetics.

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2007 June 05, 09:24:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Insane behaviour is not passed on, it's controlled by the sim's character file. Only personality and DNA is passed on to future generations.
MyPrecious
Blathering Buffoon

"And we don't want any of that nonsense, do we?"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2007 June 05, 09:36:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Floopyboo, thank you hadn't thought about that, pretty maxis males are very rare Grin

Jordi, thanks for the info, its a shame really as behaviour can be coded into DNA in real life, (Evolution; survival of those who learn adapt and all that…not that streaking has any survival value whatsoever) Grin

Never mind I'm sure I would be fed-up with it inside a couple of days anyway.

A definition of loafing is; when you can't be bothered to open the curtains so you click the Glastonbury festival web cam to check the weather…

O môr henion i dhû:
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: 2007 June 05, 14:37:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want to move someone in who can't normally be invited to move in, like a townie teen (do all male teens fall in love with Meadow?) then invite her over, spawn the Tombstone of L and D and use it to add her to the family.  At this point she can be grown up, either normally or with cheats, and your poor lovestruck Sim can marry her.  I can't guarantee that this is totally safe, but at least she ages normally, or did in the base game when I tried it.

Hook

Or use Inge's teleporters to add to family, that's also safe.

Alternatively, you can use a hack that allows you to move in all (or well... most really) sims that you might not otherwise be able to, such as children and teens.  Or... you could try using a hack that allows you to grow up townies, including children, teens, young adults (who can graduate, drop out, or get expelled), adults, and even elders (making them die of old age).[/selfpimp]

You'd probably have to look for these hacks somewhere, but I'm sure you could find them if you tried hard enough. Roll Eyes

Ste

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2007 June 05, 14:47:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And of course, if you really want to age and play a townie teen, you could  just send them off to Uni from the neighborhood screen.  That's what happened to Meadow in my game -- she and Dustin Broke had 3 bolts, so she went to college with him, and now they're elders, with three gorgeous kids and I lost track of how many grandkids.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
AnnaM
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2007 June 05, 15:20:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Syberspunk: When I want to grow up a townie, I make him/her selectable with the controlcheat menu, age them with the same menu, then make them unselectable again and send them on their way. Is there some advantage that I'm missing in using your hack?

(I have moveinall, which I mostly use for simulating adoption of children or teen, and thanks for making it :-). I'm not slamming your mod, just genuinely wondering if there's something I'm missing.)
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: 2007 June 05, 17:46:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The advantage is... do it all in one interaction: technically one click (I think I made it so the sim should always accept even though it is considered a social interaction).

In one of my older hoods, I was using pretty much the same method you did.  Using whatever (hack or debug cheat) to make a sim selectable, age them up, and then de-select them.  Except... in some cases, I found that making a sim selectable with the InSim did funky things.  Also... the original "make selectable" menu option from the debug cheats was kind of... ironically Tongue buggy.  It's fixed now, but I don't know since when (OFB? Pets?).  Also... I think (although I'm not totally sure now, since it has been awhiles) that using the "Set Age" option does not give the townie any memories of growing up.  With my hack, the townies get the proper "Grew Up Well" (Or Bad, depending on aspiration) memories, and if they actually have those wants (or fears), they should be satisfied too.

I made the hack as an alternative to moving in townies and having to make them playable just to age them up.  I wanted to still have my sims' childhood, teen, etc. friends age up with them, without me necessarily having to "play" them out.  In this way, I can age them up without having to enable debug mode (although now, I keep debug mode on all the time, but before, I only turned it on when I felt like it) and going through the whole select, age up, deselect process.  Sure, it's not all that hard or necessarily time consuming to do in the first place, but for me, it saves time.  Smiley

Oh... also... depending on what controller type you pick, you could use the hack to grow up other playable sims pretty much any time you wanted, instead of having to wait for their actual birthdays.  Of course you can do this with the debug menu by setting the sim to their birthday, but it's still one less button to click (i.e. you wouldn't have to shift+click). Tongue

Ste
« Last Edit: 2007 June 05, 18:05:31 by syberspunk » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: