More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 20:05:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Missing Adventurer career?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Missing Adventurer career?  (Read 13866 times)
cwhitney
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Missing Adventurer career?
« on: 2007 May 29, 14:49:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Curious if this is just a very rare case of bad luck, or if something a little more nefarious is going on.

Since buying Seasons, I've probably checked jobs on the computer 15-20 times for my sims, and I've never had the Adventurer career offered.  I've had the other Seasons careers offered, many times, in fact, but never the Adventurer career.

Is there a bug that's preventing it from showing, or am I simply getting a weird RNG?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Missing Adventurer career?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 May 29, 14:56:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's a bug, it's a new one. I get the Adventurer career fairly commonly...although if you have all exp. packs there are 20 careers to choose from, and only 3 in the paper, so it could be an exceptionally bad case of sadorandomness. For starters, enable boolProp and shift-click on the paper. Click "Adult Jobs" and cycle through. Do you see Adventurer?

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 May 29, 15:47:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you see it on the debug newspaper, check to make sure none of your sims wants a job in that career. A job that your sim actually wants has a greatly reduced chance of appearing.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
JennyJenny
Corpulent Cretin

ISTJ? Really?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 May 29, 16:54:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you see it on the debug newspaper, check to make sure none of your sims wants a job in that career. A job that your sim actually wants has a greatly reduced chance of appearing.

Is this real or is it Murphy's Law-esque?

Inge:We judge by God's own criteria of correct punctuation and inspired fightliness.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 May 29, 17:02:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Real. Besides, is there really a difference?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 May 29, 17:09:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shows up regularly in my game and is getting as common as chief of staff.
Cat Moonshadow
Asinine Airhead

Cat in the Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 May 29, 17:13:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a sim who wanted to reach the top of the Journalism career (I believe). I had him check the paper every day, but it took 15-20 days before it finally showed up (I was determined not to cheat). I also figured that he was lazy, and if that was the only job he wanted to have, then he could putter around the house all he wanted until it became available.

Eventually he did land the job. And then after a couple of promotions he made some poor choices and got fired. C'est la vie.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 May 29, 19:15:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a sim in her 30s still waiting for a journalism career - and I'm using the computer to find jobs at the moment. Sadorandom. Mind you, she's nearly reached the top of the culinery career in the interim.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 May 29, 20:19:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like they did that backwards.  Any chance of a hack that flips it back upright, so if someone has a want they actually have a change of fulfilling it?

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 May 30, 09:58:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like they did that backwards.  Any chance of a hack that flips it back upright, so if someone has a want they actually have a change of fulfilling it?
Nope, it's hardcoded into the generator. And it so far it has remained impossible to retrieve a sim's wants in a form accessible to the game scripting, as if Maxis wanted to make it intentionally impossible for a sim to be able to act upon them.

BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 May 30, 17:44:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember one of the Maxoids saying as much in one of the chat logs.  The gist of it was something along the lines of requiring player input for better gameplay.   Roll Eyes 

BeckerCheez
Irritating Ignoramus

'cause I don't have anything else...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 May 31, 02:29:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a zombie Sim that wants to be top of the Law career.  Figures.  It's a good thing zombies don't age, because she still hasn't gotten the job yet.  So it may very well be a bug.  But then again, I've had other Sims who've gotten their dream jobs on the first day upon moving in.  So I dunno what's up with that.   Cheesy

Poster Formerly Known as Chee-Z
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 May 31, 02:30:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a zombie Sim that wants to be top of the Law career.  Figures.  It's a good thing zombies don't age, because she still hasn't gotten the job yet.  So it may very well be a bug.  But then again, I've had other Sims who've gotten their dream jobs on the first day upon moving in.  So I dunno what's up with that.   Cheesy
It's random, but biased against you. You'll get just enough to lull you into a sense of complacency, but the odds are actually heavily weighted against you.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 May 31, 03:29:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's random, but biased against you. You'll get just enough to lull you into a sense of complacency, but the odds are actually heavily weighted against you.
Does taking another job have any bearing on this? I've often found that if I just have the sim take another job at random, the next day their dream career comes up. Could just be the roll, of course.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 May 31, 04:46:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does taking another job have any bearing on this? I've often found that if I just have the sim take another job at random, the next day their dream career comes up. Could just be the roll, of course.
Nope. Taking another job has no effect on waiting for your current job to appear.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2007 May 31, 07:28:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is why I took out the Life Stories careers, they seemed to pop up every day and of course, my sims never actually wanted to get a job or reach the top of the LS careers. Just took up valuable 'real' job space.

Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2007 May 31, 07:54:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was doing the asylum challenge, and my sane sim wanted the adventurer career. Took eight days, but luckily she finally got it. Unfortunately, she also got fired on a chance card on her first day. Cheesy Fortunately, her first day of work was the day she got the job, so the job was still in the paper for her to take up again. Tongue

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 May 31, 08:00:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL I've learnt that the hard way-never throw the paper out if you get the job, wait until the next day Tongue

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 May 31, 08:15:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL I've learnt that the hard way-never throw the paper out if you get the job, wait until the next day Tongue
Not only do you not have to throw the paper out, but you can ALSO stuff it in your inventory and keep that job option forever! What's more, you can hoard papers, as the newspapers will not expire if you have 3 papers on the lot, so it's possible to have 3 or more "fresh" papers simultaneously.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2007 May 31, 11:21:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

D'you know what? I'd never have thought of that. Thanks Pescado, you are useful sometimes.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 May 31, 11:23:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, yes, I know you're anxious to see Gooplets Round 2. Because Sim-Emma wants to have a bunch of little Gooplets.

caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 May 31, 12:10:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When the game decides what jobs it is going to offer on a job search, does it take into account the career wants of all Sims on the lot or just the one searching the first time that day?
I often find that when Sim A does the first job search of the day, her wanted career won't be available, but Sim B's wanted career is. That of course could just be chance....
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 May 31, 17:23:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, yes, I know you're anxious to see Gooplets Round 2. Because Sim-Emma wants to have a bunch of little Gooplets.

She should have at least 9, all in groups of 3.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 May 31, 20:41:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See, there's that gold standard of evilness cubed - I was going to suggest one set of triplets.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Jack Rudd
Grammar Police

Grammar Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2007 June 05, 00:45:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the subject of sadorandomness, I notice that the three career tracks available in the newspaper seem always to be a subset of the five career tracks available on the computer for any given day. Is this just sadorandomness, or is it the way it is meant to work?

Twice West of England chess champion
FIDE rating 2328
Official MATY Predictable Puellile Poser
In Memoriam: WFM Jessie Gilbert, 1987-2006
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: