More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 07:39:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Glass Ceiling Hack?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Glass Ceiling Hack?  (Read 9729 times)
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Glass Ceiling Hack?
« on: 2007 May 23, 14:40:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it possible to do a hack that would allow the player to set, per individual Sim, the highest career level possible for that Sim? In other words, if I have a Sim in the Science career and I only want him to get as far as science teacher and then, despite skills and friends, not be promoted further, is such a thing doable? I know Pescado has harder jobs, but I'd like more control on a per-Sim basis. Once I know if it's possible, then I can see if there is a hacker (awesome or otherwise  Wink) who might be willing to make such a thing.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Glass Ceiling Hack?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 May 23, 15:00:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...possibly. I'd have to merge it with harder jobs to deny promotion, though.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 May 23, 15:15:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ooohhh...that would be very shiney!!!

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 May 23, 15:32:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah... harder jobs really doesn't seem all that hard.  Especially with the advantages of Uni.  Heck, the advantages of being born or growing up from toddler is plenty sufficient.  Pes has already shown how easy it is to max skills like by the Teen years.  And making friends is pretty easy.  There really needs to be like a harderharderjobs hack!

On the one hand, it's kinda fun to see how fast you can get your sim to the top, and like how many consecutive promotions you can manage to get.  On the other hand... I think some sims should really have to work for it.  Some sims shouldn't even make it to the top of their career unless they're almost well into the later stages of adulthood, if not already in their twilight years as an elder.  For some sims, I'd like it to be an actual struggle whether or not they get promoted.  Those career LTWs are just too easy.

Ste

Kaliban
Blathering Buffoon

I have horrible grammar, and a french accent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 May 23, 15:51:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I already said a looooong time ago in a similar thread: what I'd like to have is a mod where the higher you are in your job, the lowest the chance to get promoted - even if you meet all requirements.
Having an adequate diploma could give some bonus (depending on the diploma level?), and having highers skill thant required, and more friend, would help too - but the chance would still stay low.
Add an "old timer effect" (the chance to promote grows slightly each day you are not promoted), and I would be happy. Tongue

Any view of things that is not strange, is false.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 May 23, 18:38:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...and if you have poor personality qualities, specifically being mean or lazy.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 May 23, 18:50:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't really been bothered that much yet by my Sims getting to the top of their career.  I actually like fulfilling the career LTWs (no more worries about their aspiration meter), but I can see how I might want to limit things a bit.  I hate knowledge teens, always bloody skilling away and wasting time they could be snogging the paperboy or trying to go steady with the shop clerk, or sneaking out with someone they only met a few hours ago (all the things I never did when I was a teen because I was too busy "skilling").

I have taken to not letting the blighters study if they have more than 4 in any skill area or when they get to a career, they simply rocket through the promotions.  I do like the idea of stopping people at "Freelance Photographer" rather than advancing in the slacker stream.  I've never understood why a photographer would want to become a Professional Party Guest, especially with those dumb hours.

Tribulatio proxima est
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 May 23, 19:01:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lazy is never good, but being mean should get you faster promotions, especially in some jobs.  This should appeal to Pescado. Smiley

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 May 23, 21:12:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use harder jobs, I make my sims get jobs from the paper to start at a lower level, I give them random diplomas from the Uni sims upgrader - I don't play Uni, terminally boring - my sims still keep getting promotions every second or third day. I'd go for a harder harder jobs hack.

I like the personality influence on jobs idea.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 May 23, 22:13:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my experience, mean and lazy people have little difficulty getting promoted,
and in the Sims, lazy just means more apt to skill (read, play chess etc...)

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 May 23, 22:14:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I might like harder harder jobs also, but I'd really like the option from the original post to decide where you want a sim to stop on an individual basis. Here's a sim that's 'ok you're a science teacher' or hey, he's a sculpter and I don't want them to go on and be something else - that's their 'career'.

I do love harder jobs (tho I forget I'm even using that) and really really like the 'there can be only one' to certain careers. Would even like some limits to some of the others as well, maybe not one but just a few in any area. How many mad scientists does a place really need?

Unsouper
Horanda
Knuckleheaded Knob

I used to have to be nice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 May 23, 23:51:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is room for more mad scientists, I'm more concerned about the types of jobs where there really IS only one (like Mayor), or a small, finite number (like Chief of Staff).

I'm not doing too bad, considering my age and personality
Pro-freedom
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2007 May 24, 00:39:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps, rather than having the promotion foisted upon you, you get to choose whether to accept it? That way, your happy-being-a-DJ slacker sim can stay a DJ.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
Tamha
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 May 24, 01:10:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now that I like! "Promotions Optional" is a decent way to go, but then I'd worry about people who want to put off promotion (rather than preventing it forever) wanting to use the option so it needs to come up every couple of Sim days, and those who want to stop progress completely. It would make it more difficult to try accommodating both.

A mean person laughs with you because they don't really mean it. A really mean person just laughs at you.
ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 May 24, 01:40:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To bad you can't do a pay increase while staying at the same job level.  That way you can stay as a DJ but get better pay.  I suppose you could turn them into seperate careers.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 May 24, 03:01:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is room for more mad scientists, I'm more concerned about the types of jobs where there really IS only one (like Mayor), or a small, finite number (like Chief of Staff).
Harder jobs already does that. Or one of Pes's hacks limits to only one mayor, and only one crimefighter superhero, but I might have forgotten which one. I have all of his hacks like these.

Unsouper
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 May 24, 04:34:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've wanted a hack that would allow me to lock a sim into a certain career level for a very long time. I've had to resort to taking away skill points/not allowing skilling.

whenever I asked about a hack like this I was always told "just don't let them get the right skill points" or "take away their skill points" so I gave up asking  Tongue  I just want my poor lower class sims to stay poor lower class sims!
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 May 24, 04:55:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps, rather than having the promotion foisted upon you, you get to choose whether to accept it? That way, your happy-being-a-DJ slacker sim can stay a DJ.

If this option is easier to hack, I'm all for it!
PandaGirl
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 May 24, 06:07:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had a few sims that I want to stay at certain levels, so the idea(s) in this thread sound good to me. I just hope it's possible...

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2007 May 24, 06:32:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I too would like a hack for this, since so many random things can cause your sims to gain skills and make friends, whether you want them to or not.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
julialenn
Blathering Buffoon

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 May 24, 13:41:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now that I like! "Promotions Optional" is a decent way to go, but then I'd worry about people who want to put off promotion (rather than preventing it forever) wanting to use the option so it needs to come up every couple of Sim days, and those who want to stop progress completely. It would make it more difficult to try accommodating both.

Would it be possible to make it necessary to 'apply' for a promotion?
As in, make a Sim call/use computer to call his boss and ask for a promotion? That way we wouldn't be pestered by daily "Do you want a promotion" boxes.
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2007 May 24, 14:24:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, THAT is nice.

Use all the same 'qualitifications' for promotions, but also add a random bit to it? So...the boss might be in a good mood and says yes, or he might be a royal prick and say no.

Heh...of course, now I want a Suck up/Brown nose/Kiss ass option on that phone call...

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2007 May 25, 02:02:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This sounds wonderful! Now to get some Awesome One to do it ...  Grin

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
AuKestrel
Corpulent Cretin

INTJ mother of an ENTP child. Halp!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 May 25, 18:06:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lazy is never good, but being mean should get you faster promotions, especially in some jobs.  This should appeal to Pescado. Smiley

Too bad there isn't a way to display "Narcissistic Personality Disorder." That ought to rocket people to the top of certain career paths, esp. the higher leves of the Education one. *koffkoff*

However, being lazy ought to actually give one an advantage in the Gamer career... since innovations are often created by lazy people so they have less work to do. It seems to be a natural fit.  Wink
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 May 25, 20:16:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Too bad there isn't a way to display "Narcissistic Personality Disorder." That ought to rocket people to the top of certain career paths, esp. the higher leves of the Education one. *koffkoff*

I'm missing an allusion here, please elucidate...  Wink

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: