More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 02:40:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Can't Install Sims 2?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can't Install Sims 2?  (Read 6193 times)
Pyromaniac
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Can't Install Sims 2?
« on: 2007 May 20, 13:37:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was trying to reinstall the Sims 2 on my new computer, but this message keeps popping up:

"A problem occured when trying to transfer the file 'TSData\Res\Sound\Voices5.package' from them media."

At first I thought it was just my CD (since it looks kind of scratched and defect), and I thought, Hey! I'm just going to download this off a torrent. But I googled this error and several other people seem to have it as well. If it's a problem with my computer, then I'm pretty sure none of the torrents would work.

I found a diagnosis/solution over here, but that seems like a lot of trouble to go through. Should I just install it off a torrent and see what happens?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Can't Install Sims 2?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 May 20, 13:41:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have one, but certainly dumping to hard drive is faster than downloading a torrent.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pyromaniac
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 May 20, 14:10:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As it turns out, just the "compressed" zip in the first disk has an error. It seems I'll have to get it replaced, then. Do you think you could upload it? The only file I'm having trouble dumping into the Disk1 folder is that zipped folder.
Indiasong
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 May 20, 17:52:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I cleaned my cd, it seemed to help, it stopped at a different place, and then to the end.
Pyromaniac
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 May 20, 19:28:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My CD isn't dirty, it's literally scratched.
prattle
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 May 20, 23:14:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My CD isn't dirty, it's literally scratched.
EA replaced two scratched Sims 1 disks for me back in the day without too much hassle, but they do charge money for it. Torrents are free, though. Smiley
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 May 21, 03:58:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It might not be a problem with the CD. I got that same error when I forgot to disable my antivirus before reinstalling. Perhaps your firewall, or something similar, is blocking the installation process.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 May 21, 17:51:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had that problem with my Uni disk, and I just solved it by copying the disk to the hard drive and installing from there. You have to make sure you name the directory 'disk1', and if it's a multi-disk set, the rest go into their own directories called 'disk2', 'disk3', etc. The directories don't have to be in the root of the drive, but they all have to be on the same level, so I create them under a directory called 'disks'.

You still need the CD in the drive to run the game, or no-CD exe or a tool like Daemon Tools to have an image of the disk available for loading.  But installing off the HD makes it go faster and usually solves any access problems.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Pyromaniac
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 May 21, 17:58:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, it finally works.  Smiley I went through with the hard drive process, and repaired the corrupted zip using winrar. Now...onto UNI installation!
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 July 10, 00:23:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was trying to reinstall the Sims 2 on my new computer, but this message keeps popping up:

"A problem occured when trying to transfer the file 'TSData\Res\Sound\Voices5.package' from them media."

At first I thought it was just my CD (since it looks kind of scratched and defect), and I thought, Hey! I'm just going to download this off a torrent. But I googled this error and several other people seem to have it as well. If it's a problem with my computer, then I'm pretty sure none of the torrents would work.

I found a diagnosis/solution over here, but that seems like a lot of trouble to go through. Should I just install it off a torrent and see what happens?

Sorry for the necromancy, but my problem is very similar, and goes on further than the OP's.

I was having problems getting the CD to install, so I am (currently) copying it to the hard drive for a manual install.  I get the error message that it can't copy the "Sims07.package" file.  I'm pretty sure that's a texture file?
Anyway, if the rest of it manages to copy successfully, could someone upload a copy of that and tell me where the heck to put it in the files?  Or perhaps tell me what the problem was in the first place?

(BTW, just got the iq770 with Vista--I'm really pissed off at it right now!)  Angry

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 July 10, 07:21:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I assume this is for the Base Game? If so, I'll get you a link shortly (I can't upload it here as it's 57 Mb in size). Put the file in the C:/Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Sim3D folder.

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 July 10, 07:28:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vista = sux0r. Nuke, reinstall with XP. And see Emma's Vista Chair for why Vista = suck.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 July 10, 07:51:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here you go. Good luck.

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 July 10, 16:37:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Baa you very much, Denimjo---success!!!   Smiley

*runs off to see Emma's Vista Chair

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 July 11, 04:22:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meshed by me, incidentally.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: