More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 23, 09:40:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  trouble with binning hair still
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: trouble with binning hair still  (Read 6960 times)
Indiasong
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
trouble with binning hair still
« on: 2007 May 20, 13:00:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have just realised that datgen doesn't work with seasons, it gives empty packages. At least the old datgen I scrounged up after my usual got corrupted.
Since no-one answered my squeals for help, I started using simpe, which is a lot more tedious, but works. I have realised today that the new-old datgen when it worked before seasons made only adult hair and disabled the rest.
But, if you're still there, i have a new problem: when I look at the binned hair in bodyshop, it says black even though it is in the red bin. What am i doing wrong?
I open the file in the right bin, have only compress checked in options, so it keeps the same name.
Edit: I have modified this opening the files in Simpe, and realised I could do it by manually editing before saving in options. One more step to add.
Unless I'm missing something?

Edit 2: if I try to modify while binning, all the packages will have the same name(the one that appears while hovering)
« Last Edit: 2007 May 20, 13:35:49 by Indiasong » Logged
Quinctia
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
Re: trouble with binning hair still
« Reply #1 on: 2007 May 20, 17:11:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, there's another way you can do it.  You'd only be able to bin ONE hair at a time.

For instance, bin the black, go to options, copy the GUID, save the hair.

Bin the brown, go to options, paste the GUID for black, save the hair.

The GUID keeps the colors linked - if a sim's wearing the black, and you decide they should be a redhead, they'll be wearing that style if you hit the red button on the hair section.  It also lets you kill all the extra elder recolors if you want and only use one.

I don't find that I need custom descriptors for my recolors, as long as the description gives me a vague idea of what hair it is.  I can see the color for myself, I don't need to be told! Smiley  So I bin mine all together, and forget to remove anything mentioning specifically to colors half the time.  I have tons of hairs with text claiming them to be black now...I'm pretty lazy.
Indiasong
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 May 20, 17:49:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I figured I had to do that... Is this where I moan about the one click datgen?
aqualectrix
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 May 21, 01:36:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, this is where you trot off to Theo's Shack and pick up the Color Binning Tool.
Quinctia
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 May 21, 04:24:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think we're talking about the binning tool.

I was, anyway!
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 May 21, 04:46:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think we're talking about the binning tool.

I was, anyway!

From Indiasong's post it sounds like she might be binning hair manually in SimPE. Theo's tool is less complicated than DatGEN was, and takes less time, and gives you more options, so it's hard to imagine Indiasong would have said binning hair is more tedious in SimPE. Although, of course, when you are forced to do something in a new way, it can certainly seem to be slower and less simple.

Fail.
Quinctia
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 May 21, 05:27:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right, I get that.  I just thought perhaps she meant doing it recolor by recolor and changing the family GUID manually just to avoid the text being identical for all recolors of the same set would be tedious...and it would be!  But the text remaining the same thing is a bin tool thing, too, so if she's having that issue manually, the bin tool's not going to save her any time.

Unless I really really suck at the bin tool and there's another way to avoid the identical text thing if you fill all the bin colors in one go.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2007 May 21, 13:01:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uh, the color binning tool lets you manually change the text before you save the hair...

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 May 21, 13:20:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dumb Amber-type People suck. TYDT.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Indiasong
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 May 22, 19:58:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes I was talking about the binning tool which is longer than the 1st edition datgen where you just had to throw all the files in the browser, tick the right colours and save in one click. No opening each file individually, or saving individually as I have to do because if you change the text in the tool, it changes all the colours to the text you typed instead. Sigh.I hate change when it is actually regression. But I am getting used to it.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 May 22, 20:46:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the tool we have now is a huge improvement in terms of what can be done. For example, binning grey hair never worked properly in DatGen, and removing extra age groups often caused glitches. Plus now we can change lots of options besides just the bin the hair is in.

I liked DatGen and used it for ages, but Theo's tool is clearly more powerful and more accurate. Faster is not better if your files get screwed up in the process.

Fail.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 May 22, 20:48:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes I was talking about the binning tool which is longer than the 1st edition datgen where you just had to throw all the files in the browser, tick the right colours and save in one click. No opening each file individually, or saving individually as I have to do because if you change the text in the tool, it changes all the colours to the text you typed instead. Sigh.I hate change when it is actually regression. But I am getting used to it.

*Plays world's smallest violin*  So omit the hair color name and just put in the style name and you don't have to change them individually.  That's what I do.  Not like you can't see what bin you're browsing or what color the hair is, sheesh.  :p

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
PandaGirl
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 May 23, 05:05:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since the new SimPE fiddled with the binning tool I'm binning my hair colours individually and I prefer it that way. It makes it easier for the anal side of me to put those ash browns in the blonde, and fix most of peggy's colour binnings. Copying and pasting the GUID has the repetitiveness that calms a racing mind.  Smiley So I'm happy it's broke.

yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 May 23, 13:46:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been doing them individually in SimPE all along.  By the time the Theo's tool came out, I'd already done 1700+ hairs the old fashioned way.  You get a system down, I can add the file name to the mouseover, remove extra ages and textures, add the hair and the eyebrows to the right bins, and family them together in less than 5 minutes.  Unless there's more than the normal 4 colors, then the set takes a bit longer. 

Like Panda says, there is something quite soothing in the repetitiveness.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 May 23, 16:21:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've managed to prune out enough extraneous haircolors that I guess I might start using Theo's tool (since I don't have nearly so many styles with more than 4 colors anymore), but I still would like a simpler one-at-a-time tool -- I don't care about families all that much (it's nice but not strictly necessary), and even though my downloads are organized fairly well, I still don't relish the thought of trying to correctly locate all four files.

Stupid EA needs to build binning into Body Shop. Tongue Especially for things like how Peggy tends to bin brown hair as black and red hair as brown.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
PandaGirl
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 May 24, 00:25:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Peggy does have some odd choices when she colour bins. The only reason I family my hairs, is so they go grey right. Some of my elder sims look good with their grey young people hair, and it saves a trip to the mirror.

akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2007 May 24, 03:50:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure what's worse -- no red hair that actually looks natural at all, or a natural red in the brown bin AND some weird shade in the red bin.

Possibly I should start doing more recolors and then actually posting them publicly. I'm not good at texturing (at least, not for hair; I just learned how to use Object Workshop and I've been able to make some passable bedding textures from scratch), but I can recolor decently most of the time. (When I'm not being lazy. I just did a massive batch of red fixes for my own personal use and employed almost exactly the same technique on all dozen different hairs because I was impatient, and thus while they're acceptable, they're not my best work.)

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: