More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 21:46:16

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Guess what happens when you deleteAllCharacters in downtown?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Guess what happens when you deleteAllCharacters in downtown?  (Read 7330 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Guess what happens when you deleteAllCharacters in downtown?
« on: 2005 October 01, 12:54:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought I'd like a downtown with no Maxis downtownies, so, just like in Uni, I went to the downtown n'hood and typed the fateful command. I exited the game and went smugly to count character files. One it said, just the one backup character file. Sad

So if you use deleteAllCharacters in downtown Nightlife, it will delete all characters in downtown, all characters in the main n'hood and all characters in the Uni n'hood too.

Back for the 3rd NL re-install in as many days...
Lucky I have backups.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Guess what happens when you deleteAllCharacters in downtown?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 October 01, 13:06:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very smart to have backups, especially with such a dangerous command as deleteallcharacters.
Marquis
Twain
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 October 01, 13:52:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hmmmm so deleteallcharacters.....deleted all the characters....how strange  Wink

seriously tho, I am sorry to hear about your 'loss'

I learned with the Sims 1 that it is always good to keep backups of your game, it has saved me many nervous breakdowns, lol.

Good breeding consists of concealing how much we think of ourselves and how little we think of the other person. - Mark Twain
www.thesporum.net
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 October 01, 13:59:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough. Before Nightlife, if you went to the uni n'hood & deleted all charcters, it only deleted uni ones. If you deleted all characters in the main n'hood, it only deleted characters there, none in uni. This NL thing of dealing to all 3 places at once is new.

I thought others might appreciate the warning.

Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 October 01, 14:05:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do appreciate the warning.  I'd hate to have everyone deleted from all three neighborhoods.  Thanks for finding out for us and letting us know.

I was thinking about deleting the downtownies and generating all new ones with one of the Normal Name hacks.  Looks like this should wait for a totally new neighborhood.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
MokeyHokey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 October 01, 14:26:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This NL thing of dealing to all 3 places at once is new.

Are you sure?  I swear when I was running a custom hood with notownieregen and nodormieregen that deleteall did just that--in both regular and uni neighborhoods, which is why I would connect a university before using the cheat so that I had no dormies interfering with my custom sims.  Huh 
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 October 01, 16:46:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough. Before Nightlife, if you went to the uni n'hood & deleted all charcters, it only deleted uni ones. If you deleted all characters in the main n'hood, it only deleted characters there, none in uni. This NL thing of dealing to all 3 places at once is new.

Not in my game, I made a new neighbourhood before installing NL and because I wantd a different set of townies and NPCs then the default I deleted all the characters, after adding Academie Le Tour, and it emptied BOTH the main and the Uni neighbourhoods.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 October 01, 17:01:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did a lot of testing on this in Uni, and the cheat *always* deletes all the characters whether you were at Uni or the normal neighborhood. It will even delete characters in the sim bin.

Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 October 01, 18:53:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did a lot of testing on this in Uni, and the cheat *always* deletes all the characters whether you were at Uni or the normal neighborhood. It will even delete characters in the sim bin.

This has been my experience as well. We should pester the Maxoids to add in a "current sub neighborhood only" version of "deleteallcharacters." It's the least they can do to help with the 0x85 mess.
HRH Posie
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2005 October 01, 20:34:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with you also.  I created a new neighbourhood just before Nightlife was released and added Academie Le Tour.  I used "deleteAllCharacters" in the regular neighbourhood and it deleted all characters in the neighbourhood as well as the university campus and both sim bins Sad

"Does nothing work outside of London? Hmm? Apparently not." Natasha Glenville, Bridget Jones
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 October 02, 00:32:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, very interesting. I did 'deleteallchars' in the main n'hood, pre nightlife, then when I went to the uni n'hood all the Maxis defaults were still there, green diamonds above all the occupied lots, sims in the bin etc, so I had to do the command again.

Maybe my game had a one time glitch? I only deleted all characters once, so I don't have any other experiences to compare to. I had a custom n'hood at the time for the main one and the academie one for uni.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 October 02, 00:34:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This has been my experience as well. We should pester the Maxoids to add in a "current sub neighborhood only" version of "deleteallcharacters." It's the least they can do to help with the 0x85 mess.

Excellent idea! Are you going to submit it or should I? Or both? Or lots?  Cheesy

Ruann
Dimwitted Dunce

An overactive male imagination

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2005 October 02, 04:55:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would be nice... if the game actually indicated which sims were in which part of the neighborhood in any meaningful way.  Sadly, it doesn't.  There are three "families" of Townies.  One is the NPC townie pool, which includes ALL service NPCs from all portions of a neighborhood, one is the townies and dormies, and the third is more townies that were added with Nightlife, but not all of them as some wind up in your normal townie family and NPC pool.  Mr Big and Ms Diva wind up in the new famiily, but the Grand Vampires wind up in the normal Townie family, for example.  Well, correction, that's where they've wound up in all of my games so far.
AllenABQ
Feckless Fool

Contemplator of Fuzzy Things

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 October 02, 05:18:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A safe method of deleting characters has been proposed to Quaxi for a future edition of SimPE.  Nothing has been promised about if or when it might be included, but Quaxi is thinking about it.  If implemented it should, ideally, eliminate a character file along with all family info, relationships, memory markers, etc., etc., essentially making it as though the character never existed in the game.
sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 October 02, 05:25:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A safe method of deleting characters has been proposed to Quaxi for a future edition of SimPE.  Nothing has been promised about if or when it might be included, but Quaxi is thinking about it.  If implemented it should, ideally, eliminate a character file along with all family info, relationships, memory markers, etc., etc., essentially making it as though the character never existed in the game.

I am hoping his hint that we may see it in the NL edition will come true.

Anyway, go here and add your support. Offer him cash, hookers, and the head of any BBSer he wants.

http://ambertation.de/simpeforum/viewtopic.php?t=1731

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 October 02, 06:14:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is fundamentally unreasonable, since characters are not, strictly speaking, neighborhood-specific, they're all stored in the main neighborhood's file.

So unsurprisingly, DELETE ALL CHARARACTERS deletes.....ALL CHARACTERS. Whodathunkit? Now keep this up and you buffoons will wind up in Retardo Land. Tongue

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 October 03, 12:17:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

umm - that's not my experience.  Using deleteAllCharacters did just that - everyone, everywhere.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 October 03, 23:02:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

umm - that's not my experience.  Using deleteAllCharacters did just that - everyone, everywhere.

Yes, if you'd read the thread you would see many people say the same. Oddly enough that was not my experience the one time I used the delete all characters command. My main n'hood was quite empty, I had the message box to confirm deletion even.

Then when I went to the uni n'hood - which already existed - it was still full of Maxis young adults. I was surprised at the time because I would have thought the delete all characters command would do just that, delete all.

That's why I did not expect everything to vanish when I did the same command in Nightlife.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: