More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 20:11:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  It's raining ghosts
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: It's raining ghosts  (Read 9832 times)
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
It's raining ghosts
« on: 2007 May 08, 21:19:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well not exactly... but the one and only ghost on my nice, new, shiny alphabet legacy lot decided to make an appearance during a heavy rainstorm in the middle of the day in summer. Is this normal ghost behaviour? Or is something borked already? I've only being playing long enough to produce generation 'B', so I'm hoping it's the former.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: It's raining ghosts
« Reply #1 on: 2007 May 08, 21:41:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If a tombstone is hit by lightning, the ghost will come out for a bit and then return to its "home". That's new with Seasons, of course.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 May 09, 06:15:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, thanks, that would explain it as the storm lasted for ages (by sim standards) and there was a fair bit of lightning. Are gravestones high up the group of items that lightning can hit? Assuming that it isn't all equal chance. There really isn't anything much else outside on this lot apart from 3 fruit trees and a car. Does that also mean the gravestone can be destroyed, given that lightning can kill sims? If so, I may need to consider mausoleums.

Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 May 09, 08:16:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

[...] Does that also mean the gravestone can be destroyed, given that lightning can kill sims? If so, I may need to consider mausoleums.

I'd say, no - because the fire will be put out by the rain before the gravestone can be destroyed. At least that's the case with trees, flamingos or anything else I have had burning because of a lightning hit so far (incl. a fridge that stood outside). Sims seem to be the only "things" that can be destroyed by lightning hits, but only if their motives are low enough, I guess.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 May 09, 14:05:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a telescope go to ashes because of a lightning strike, but that's all. Overall, in my game, lightning prefers trees and swingsets. I've not had a gravestone go up in flames, but then I rarely play with gravestones on my lots since my family moves every generation.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 May 09, 14:29:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had flamingoes and gnomes struck by lightning too-the flamingo burned but sadly got put out by the rain.

I also have a couple of good pictures of a tree being struck by lightning during a very long storm (lasted 22 sim hours). This is on my greek house lot.

I take quite a lot of pictures now to plonk in my painting folder. I love this feature Smiley

AuKestrel
Corpulent Cretin

INTJ mother of an ENTP child. Halp!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 May 09, 17:44:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd say, no - because the fire will be put out by the rain before the gravestone can be destroyed. At least that's the case with trees, flamingos or anything else I have had burning because of a lightning hit so far (incl. a fridge that stood outside). Sims seem to be the only "things" that can be destroyed by lightning hits, but only if their motives are low enough, I guess.

Apropos of Sim death, I was trying to kill off some townies last night the old fashioned way (luring them to a lot, then smiting them with lightning) and several townies escaped despite being struck 10-12 times (how is that even possible??). However, one of my Sims who wandered in from another lot, whom I smote by mistake, died after just one strike.

I think the game discriminates against player-made Sims!
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 May 09, 20:08:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the game discriminates against player-made Sims!

Definitely.

It seems very difficult to kill Maxis made sims...unfortunately.

But with sims I've created or that have been born from my created sims - one zap and here's Grimmy!

Although, I sometimes associate this with the stupidity of the now dead sim... but Maxis made sims are even more stupid than the ones I've created, so why should they live when mine die?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 May 10, 04:16:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the game may discourage townie deaths because of the respawnation.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Kasmira
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 May 10, 09:22:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read on this site somewhere that lightening rods help keep trees and things from being struck.  Since then, I have added a lightening rod to the roofs of the houses I have played and haven't seen a single burning tree.  The only thing is that the rods won't save your sims from being struck while in a hot tubs.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 May 10, 13:10:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about if you put awnings over the hot tubs? Does that stop sims being struck while in there?

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 May 10, 13:22:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You'd have to use moveobjects on to achieve that, but if it works it would be great.
I've not had very good experiences with the lightning rod, bu mostly because I've had difficulties finding good places to put them.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2007 May 10, 13:25:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I might try it. I have to make a new neighbourhood cos mine is seriously buggy, but will try with first available house Smiley

phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 May 10, 13:40:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about if you put awnings over the hot tubs? Does that stop sims being struck while in there?

There was some discussion of covering hot tubs to avoid electrocution in this thread here:  http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,8044.0.html

On the subject of townie deaths, I had one die from being zapped in the hot tub at a community lot recently -- my first.  There was a thunderstorm, but I was paying attention to my playable Sim inside the club.  As I changed camera angle, I noticed a tombstone by the hot tub.  It was a popular townie, and her ghost showed that she was definitely fried.  Really took me by surprise.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 May 10, 13:51:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks phyllis Smiley Interesting, and it looks like a covered tub will protect the sims.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 May 10, 15:29:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There was some discussion of covering hot tubs to avoid electrocution in this thread here:  http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,8044.0.html

On the subject of townie deaths, I had one die from being zapped in the hot tub at a community lot recently -- my first.  There was a thunderstorm, but I was paying attention to my playable Sim inside the club.  As I changed camera angle, I noticed a tombstone by the hot tub.  It was a popular townie, and her ghost showed that she was definitely fried.  Really took me by surprise.
My one hottub death was one of two possible husbands for a sim I was playing at the time. He was fried and she successfully pleaded for his life. However, I had her marry the other option since Shock Boy was apparently dumber than the average sim. That's bad.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 May 10, 16:30:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've put my hot tub inside a greenhouse on my legacy lot with some paving and vegetables growing around the edges. It looks pretty as well as functional and my sims seem to be safe from lightning so far.

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 May 10, 19:34:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The hot tub lightning thing is seriously evil. I was messing aorund with it for my most recent legacy chapter, and 5 of the sims who were struck once in the tub were struck again almost immediately. Lots of deaths, mostly of playables, but one dormie also got fried.

caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 May 10, 19:50:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing that's driving me crazy about the townies who get struck on community lots but don't die is that they go around forever with the burnt hair & face. They somehow manage to get their clothes repaired & cleaned before showing up later on other lots, lol, but don't get around to showering.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 May 10, 19:53:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found that the playables were still black and crispy when I went to their home lots, too.

Kasmira
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 May 10, 21:42:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The rate of sim deaths in my game sky-rocketed with Seasons.  The culprits were the hot tubs of death.  I become attached to my sims and I take good care of them, so it bothers me when I get an "accidental" death that I didn't plan.   Grin  Awnings and roofs both work to keep out the lightening and the warmth fix mod keeps them from catching fire quite so much.  I have the ACR mod and I made a brothel in my 'hood...  My one poor girl died three times from lightening strikes in the hot tub, as well as my daughter's favorite sim who was visiting one of my houses.  Since adding cover over the tubs and getting the warmth fix mod, I have a lot fewer hot tub related deaths and that suits me just fine.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2007 May 11, 11:44:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Kasmira. I have the warmth fix in too, and I will make sure I cover up hot tubs with roofing or awnings. Unless I don't like the sim Tongue

caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 May 11, 11:56:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found that the playables were still black and crispy when I went to their home lots, too.

LOL, yeah, that's a pain, too. I had a crispy Nina Caliente running around my neighborhood for awhile, lol.
Just after I posted yesterday, I went to play & found one of my crispy townies on a DT lot, getting into a hot tub (an indoor hottub, this time, lol). Getting into the water washed his hair but not his face, lol.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2007 May 11, 11:58:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can you place the vanity table on a community lot? You can 'do makeover' on the toasted townies that way if you can. If not you'd have to wait until they did a walkby or you could invite them over if your sim was friendly with them.

caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 May 11, 12:08:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I don't know if vanity tables can be placed on community lots, but it is worth a try.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: