More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 19:43:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  The Compressorizer! Mass DBPF Compressing Program
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Compressorizer! Mass DBPF Compressing Program  (Read 131514 times)
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: The Compressorizer! Mass DBPF Compressing Program
« Reply #125 on: 2007 May 29, 15:54:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I started working on my Dls with Delphy's tool. My dls folder waqs at 5.5 gigs and 12000+ files. Delphy's tool IDed 1100 or so as being orphans. That wasn't exactly correct, some files were fine while others were orphans. I got tired of going thru 1100+ files and just deleted them Smiley

Then I started in with the Squisher. I squished each folder separately. It Size went to 2.8 roughly. Then tried to stat my game. Only, I had forgotten to delete the groupcache files. Soooo I quit (hard shutdown) and went back to see what it had done to the files, curious if it had decompressed them. And yes, it had! But only some -probably because I shut down in the middle of the load.

So I resquished but I got lazy and did all files at once. Squished to 1.8 this time! Deleted thecache files, added 1 or 2 minutes to load time Sad but other than that all is well in my game. ANd the files stayed squished this time.
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2007 May 29, 17:55:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps my understanding of the actual string storage is not complete, but the code for the DDO works with basically every other file you can throw at it *except* the compressorised ones. Smiley

It's not choking on every compressed file. I'm throwing approx 50 errors now that the Downloads folder has been compressed, but there are 19,353 files in there, most of them package files, which the program is handling just fine (or so I assume since they are categorized correctly when the program finishes scanning).

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
Indiasong
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2007 May 30, 18:24:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone else noticed that duplicates are not spotted by the clean installer when you check items downloaded with a house to the compressed ones in your download folder?
About half of them seem to be spotted now. Yet when I throw them in their allocated folders, I am asked to replace or not.
I'm trying the simpe scan folder now, but that takes more than an hour. And I have to boot after re-installing the normal sized fonts, or I can't see the scanfolder controls.
benrg
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2007 May 30, 20:02:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I originally posted this reply in the "New DBPF library" thread, but I'm copying it here since the original message was in both threads.

Normal compressed SHPE ref, in Hex view in SimPE: 66 42 72 61 6e 64 69... etc.  This is 1 byte for the string length (0x66 - 102 bytes) and then immediately followed by the actual string (Brandi...).
For a compressorised SHPE ref, in Hex view in SimPE: 95 01 62 72 61 6e 64 69... etc.  This is 1 byte for the string length (0x95 - 149 bytes) and then a 01 and then followed by the actual string (brandi...)

SimPE uses System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadString() and its BinaryWriter counterpart for most string serialization. These do not use a single byte for the length -- they use a weird base-128 encoding documented here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.binarywriter.write7bitencodedint.aspx. In this encoding a length of 0x95 is serialized as 0x95 0x01. I'm almost certain that this is your problem, not anything to do with compression.

I don't know whether this is a bug in SimPE or whether it actually is the encoding used by The Sims. If the former, you may have to use an ugly workaround anyway.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2007 June 09, 01:27:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Slight issue, may have been mentioned before. The Collection Creator doesn't play nice with this. In fact, when opening folders in CC, I get nothing or one gobbly-gooked named file. Ick. I really need to clean my recolors and decorative objects, too. Any short-term suggestions?

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2007 June 09, 03:33:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Slight issue, may have been mentioned before. The Collection Creator doesn't play nice with this. In fact, when opening folders in CC, I get nothing or one gobbly-gooked named file. Ick. I really need to clean my recolors and decorative objects, too. Any short-term suggestions?

If CC = Collection Creator, I think jfade has an updated version of that on his site that plays nice with this.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2007 June 09, 04:45:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks. New version reads the files fine, the program just didn't do what I wanted it to. Still useful, though.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: 2007 June 09, 18:44:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks. New version reads the files fine, the program just didn't do what I wanted it to. Still useful, though.
What do you mean by this? I'm slightly confused now. Tongue

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2007 June 09, 18:53:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had wanted something that would let me see what it was and delete the file if need be. This did half, and I couldn't see the real file name to cull them. I still use it for the intended purpose of collection creating, though.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2007 June 09, 19:00:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had wanted something that would let me see what it was and delete the file if need be.

Ah -- you want Paladin's Sims 2 Categorizer.  You can find it in the programs section over on http://www.simwardrobe.com/.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
americancindy
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2007 June 11, 12:21:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My downloads folder got squished from 7.9 gigs to  3.1 gigs. This program is awesome! I just wish it wouldn't create problems with Delphy's Download Manager which was awfully useful. Is there anything I can do, so I can still run Delphys program, plus have my squished downloads folder?
Rose Outlaw
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2007 June 11, 14:07:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what's been told so far: bothering Delphy to update his program would be, uhm, something like a waste of time, wouldn't it?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2007 June 11, 16:19:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what's been told so far: bothering Delphy to update his program would be, uhm, something like a waste of time, wouldn't it?
Delphy's posted a couple weeks ago sounding like he was going to look into it, unless I'm misreading and it was an "I give up".

And thanks, jsalemi. Too many "C" Sim programs and "-izers" on my desktop. Got confuzzled.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Eva Aisling
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2007 June 14, 19:38:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Until this program is able to work with Delphy's download organizer, it might be a good idea to take all compressed downloads out of the folder and just use the organizer for newly downloaded files before compressing.

More Awesome Than You - in bed
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: 2007 June 17, 22:37:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some more questions to add to the FAQ Grin:

Can I run the Compressorizer on folders I've already compressed to make them even smaller?

I accidentally ran the Compressorizer on a folder that I'd already compressed! Will something bad happen?

I'm pretty sure the answers to both of these questions are "Once the file is compressed, it can't be compressed any smaller. So the utility will just ignore it.", but it would be nice to have that spelled out in idiot-friendly text in the manual.

Also, a question/bug report. I've noticed the program doesn't work with the standard Windows shortcuts of holding down CTRL to select multiple individual files, and SHIFT to select a block of files. How difficult would it be to add these in? I have all my Downloads sorted in folders depending on where they came from, and even with Recursive selected, it's still requiring something like 60 individual selections to compress everything if I don't feel brave enough (or am too impatient to wait) to select my entire Downloads folder in one chunk.

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: 2007 June 17, 22:53:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also have a question about using this along with the Pets CC Updater. I noticed that, when updating my CC for Pets, the PCCU decompresses the files (which I've already compressed using the Compressorizor). Does this mean that I will have to then re-compress them once I'm done updating them for Pets?

I know I'm doing things backward, but I'd decided not to bother updating my CC and then changed my mind after I'd already compressed all my files.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: 2007 June 23, 00:59:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some more questions to add to the FAQ Grin:

Can I run the Compressorizer on folders I've already compressed to make them even smaller?

I accidentally ran the Compressorizer on a folder that I'd already compressed! Will something bad happen?

I'm pretty sure the answers to both of these questions are "Once the file is compressed, it can't be compressed any smaller. So the utility will just ignore it.", but it would be nice to have that spelled out in idiot-friendly text in the manual.

Also, a question/bug report. I've noticed the program doesn't work with the standard Windows shortcuts of holding down CTRL to select multiple individual files, and SHIFT to select a block of files. How difficult would it be to add these in? I have all my Downloads sorted in folders depending on where they came from, and even with Recursive selected, it's still requiring something like 60 individual selections to compress everything if I don't feel brave enough (or am too impatient to wait) to select my entire Downloads folder in one chunk.
Actually, the Compressorizer will just decompress and then recompress anything you throw at it, so if it's already compressed, it's just a waste of time, no harm done.

As for the multiple select, you mean with the open file dialog? Hmmm... I'm not sure you can toggle that to allow multiple selections since I've never tried. I'll have to experiment and see. Smiley

I also have a question about using this along with the Pets CC Updater. I noticed that, when updating my CC for Pets, the PCCU decompresses the files (which I've already compressed using the Compressorizor). Does this mean that I will have to then re-compress them once I'm done updating them for Pets?

I know I'm doing things backward, but I'd decided not to bother updating my CC and then changed my mind after I'd already compressed all my files.
Yeah, you will have to recompress them after updating them. I'm working on updating the updater (ha) to make it have more options for updating things for Seasons, make it faster, and add auto-recompression of things once it's saved them. This is, of course, low on my to do list at this point as I'm sort of focused on the Wardrobe Wrangler. (Yes, it's actually in alpha at this point, and I'm working on getting it to the beta stage. So far so good! Smiley )

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: 2007 June 23, 01:35:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the answer, jfade. I'd already discovered that I did need to re-compress the files but it's good to have confirmation. It definitely helps to do things in the correct order (update, THEN compressorize). I now have a system in place. Smiley

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2007 June 23, 02:30:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is, of course, low on my to do list at this point as I'm sort of focused on the Wardrobe Wrangler. (Yes, it's actually in alpha at this point, and I'm working on getting it to the beta stage. So far so good! Smiley )

Please, please don't lose focus. Don't waste your time on boring old things like eating, sleeping or having a life either. Cheesy

If, umm, you know, you want some beta testers... I have a truckload of crap to test it on.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: 2007 June 23, 15:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is, of course, low on my to do list at this point as I'm sort of focused on the Wardrobe Wrangler. (Yes, it's actually in alpha at this point, and I'm working on getting it to the beta stage. So far so good! Smiley )

Please, please don't lose focus. Don't waste your time on boring old things like eating, sleeping or having a life either. Cheesy

If, umm, you know, you want some beta testers... I have a truckload of crap to test it on.
Actually, I wouldn't mind a few more testers. You can hop over to http://forum.djssims.com/ and then register and apply to join the Beta Testers group there. To do that, just register, and then under the description of the beta testing section there's a link that you click that takes you to a page where you apply. Smiley Anyone is welcome! Smiley

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2007 June 24, 11:54:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cool, I'll check that out when I get home on Wednesday.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
crazyforwipeout
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2007 July 15, 22:43:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ran the Compressorizer on my downloads folder and went from 1.83GB to 1.15GB. I randomly checked my lots in game and everything sees to be running well.  Thanks.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2007 July 16, 02:04:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A thought occurs to me- any reason why compressed downloads wouldn't work in Stories? After all, if I'm putting in a set of default replacement skins, they ought to be compressed...

INFP or something
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: 2007 July 16, 03:32:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A thought occurs to me- any reason why compressed downloads wouldn't work in Stories? After all, if I'm putting in a set of default replacement skins, they ought to be compressed...
Should work fine, unless EA did something stupid and EA like, such as changing their own algorithm. Tongue

Try it and see. Smiley

TashaYarrr
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2007 July 18, 18:21:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Earlier in the thread, people talk about compressing their base game files or "EA GAMES" folders. I'm not sure if they're talking about the Program Files\ stuff (including going into each xpac's directory?), or the Documents and Settings stuff, or both. Would anyone be kind enough to tell me some good candidates for base game compression, or point me to a place I could find out?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: