More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 22:21:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  The Compressorizer! Mass DBPF Compressing Program
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Compressorizer! Mass DBPF Compressing Program  (Read 131591 times)
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
Re: The Compressorizer! Mass DBPF Compressing Program
« Reply #75 on: 2007 May 19, 21:57:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, that was quite a large 'duh' on my part. Is there a way to have the Recursive box ticked by default? That would certainly save a step or two (or 200 Wink).

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: 2007 May 19, 23:23:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, that was quite a large 'duh' on my part. Is there a way to have the Recursive box ticked by default? That would certainly save a step or two (or 200 Wink).
Yup. And I'll fix the having to quit bug too while I'm at it. Tongue

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
Scratch
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2007 May 20, 00:03:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would it be possible to have the ability to add more than one directory to the list... I was going out for a while the other night and decided to do a few dir's at once but couldn't add another separate dir to the list after i added the first dir...

Ta for the shiney!!   Grin
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2007 May 20, 05:08:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found something that people would probably want to know.

When I go on my little download binges, I usually create folders for everything, then collection files using the Collection Creator. Since I've been using this tool, I started compressing them first. Well, I couldn't figure out why the Collection Creator wasn't working, but then it dawned on me...try it uncompressed. Needless to say, it worked when the files were uncompressed. So, if you are planning on making collections, do it before you use this tool.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: 2007 May 20, 13:29:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found something that people would probably want to know.

When I go on my little download binges, I usually create folders for everything, then collection files using the Collection Creator. Since I've been using this tool, I started compressing them first. Well, I couldn't figure out why the Collection Creator wasn't working, but then it dawned on me...try it uncompressed. Needless to say, it worked when the files were uncompressed. So, if you are planning on making collections, do it before you use this tool.
Are you sure you have the latest version of the collection creator? Version 2 (Electric Boogaloo!) fixes this problem. Smiley

MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2007 May 20, 16:35:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hadn't noticed that it had been updated so "baaaa" for pointing that out.  Grin
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2007 May 20, 17:45:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After running this on my folder for downloads, my startup time seemed to increase a bit, but after running it on both of my EA Games folder, the game seems to be loading much faster. Admittedly, it did take a good chunk of time, but it was definitely worth it.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2007 May 20, 21:02:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks like I shaved over a Gig off my downloads.  From 2,5 to 1,4 (those 2,5G includes pictures of all downloads).  Haven't tested to see if it's blown up my game yet, but I'm optimistic.
Edit: Remind me to never openly express optimism.  Roll Eyes   Game crashed at lot loading.  Will do some selective compressing in stead, to start with.

I just want to report back.  I compressed my downloads in (large) chunks, loading the game imbetween to check that everything was working.
Everything is now compressed, and the game is running fine, all lots are loading and nothing is missing or borked.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: 2007 May 20, 23:45:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Glad to hear it's all working. I've done some final tweaks, and will upload them in a bit. Then, it's off to release once you all approve this last set of tweaks. Smiley

jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: 2007 May 21, 00:30:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Changes made. Get the new version here or in the first post:

http://temp.djssims.com/beta/CompressorizerBeta3.zip

Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: 2007 May 21, 02:13:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you broke it!

EDITED all the crap out since it fixed itself.

« Last Edit: 2007 May 22, 20:20:39 by Hecubus » Logged

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: 2007 May 21, 02:31:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you broke it!

Error: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name CCB.IOTools, or one of its dependencies, was not found.
File name: "CCB.IOTools"
   at BatchCompressor.Form1.btnAddFiles_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = CCB.IOTools, Version=1.0.2649.34291, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
 (Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = C:\DOCUME~1\KIMBER~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
Calling assembly : TheCompressorizer, Version=1.0.2696.34570, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
===

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: CCB.IOTools, Version=1.0.2649.34291, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/DOCUME~1/KIMBER~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/CCB.IOTools.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/DOCUME~1/KIMBER~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/CCB.IOTools/CCB.IOTools.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/DOCUME~1/KIMBER~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/CCB.IOTools.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/DOCUME~1/KIMBER~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/CCB.IOTools/CCB.IOTools.EXE.

Any ideas?
Seems to be working with me, and the file that's "missing" is in the zip... Try re-extracting it all into the same folder? Smiley

Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: 2007 May 21, 15:58:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well I don't know what happened....but when I clicked on it this morning (just to check), it worked fine.

User error. (shut up, Pescado.)

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2007 May 21, 18:53:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It works great, nothing to report. I'm glad that it clears everything now, too.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: 2007 May 22, 01:00:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So far, nothing seems to be borked as a result of using this programme. It didn't speed my loading time any, but gaining more space on my HDD makes using it worthwhile (and this experience has prompted me to back up my files, which I don't do as often as I should). Thanks, jfade, for all your hard work.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Quinctia
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: 2007 May 22, 03:20:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Worked fine for me (I did subfolders at a time), shaved half a gig off the downloads.  Since I had less than 2G to begin with, that's a decent proportion.

I have noticed a bit of a slowdown in the game loading.  It generally would take between 5-6 minutes to load the game, and I'd say it's around 10 minutes.  I know this for sure because I boot up the DS and play a bit while the game loads, and I've gotten more DS time since I compressed.  It's not THAT much longer, though.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: 2007 May 22, 03:23:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Worked fine for me (I did subfolders at a time), shaved half a gig off the downloads.  Since I had less than 2G to begin with, that's a decent proportion.

I have noticed a bit of a slowdown in the game loading.  It generally would take between 5-6 minutes to load the game, and I'd say it's around 10 minutes.  I know this for sure because I boot up the DS and play a bit while the game loads, and I've gotten more DS time since I compressed.  It's not THAT much longer, though.
Did you clear the groups.cache file? This has been shown to help with load times after compression if you do it. Smiley

MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2007 May 22, 13:06:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm noticing a trend. People who had relatively small downloads folders to begin with are loading slower and those with larger folders are loading faster. Interesting. My problem is the opening. It just sits there for almost 3 minutes sometimes 4 before it actually starts doing anything.
Mirablu
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2007 May 22, 18:23:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm noticing a trend. People who had relatively small downloads folders to begin with are loading slower and those with larger folders are loading faster. Interesting. My problem is the opening. It just sits there for almost 3 minutes sometimes 4 before it actually starts doing anything.

That's something that's been happening to me for a long time, and I haven't compressed anything yet.
I think you have a point in the "smaller downloads folders take more time, and larger downloads folders take less time" though.
But I can't say anything with certainty, as I am not willing to test it as a "smaller downloads folder" person. (My downloads folder is somewhere around 2GB.)

I have great expectations from this tool. For now, I'm just trying it out on my Hair folder.
And if it works: tomorrow, the clothing folder! Raaagh!
*marches away with an army on horseback*
*and by army, I mean something like three guys and a horse*
Arina
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2007 May 22, 20:03:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My downloads folder was about 550mb - does that qualify as small? It's down to 300-ish, and loading times have gone up a little (10-30 seconds - load time is now about 3mins).

Is there more than one groups.cache that I should be clearing? I deleted the one in my documents and the speed didn't improve. Still, it definitely did what it said on the box, my downloads have been almost halved Smiley

I've not compressed all my game files yet though. Will those increase the speed? Again, I'm not too bothered, what bothers me is the space this game takes up. After clearing my downloads folder down from over a gig to 550mb, it made loading so much faster that any increase from this tool really doesn't matter in comparison.
Xiomberg
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2007 May 23, 08:25:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This reduced my downloads folder from 6493MB to 3877MB a saving of 2626MB! This took a little under two and half hours to compress.

Load time before compression 8mins from desktop to active Sim and 5mins after compression (groups.cache deleted first).
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2007 May 23, 16:35:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm downloading a mess o' lots to replace those that mysteriously vanished. Once I clean install 'em, where should I look to ensquishify them with this tool...or should I avoid messing about with lot files? I assume "lot catalogue" in the relevant hood folder is the right place. If not, or there are others to look for, LMK?

Also: is it safe to compress occupied houses? I don't plan to court trouble by doing so unless someone has done so, as I have enough mystery lot issues ATM.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2007 May 23, 17:06:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, 'lot catalogue' is the place where your in-game empty lots are stored.  I compressed mine, and haven't had any problems placing new lots.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2007 May 24, 00:36:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

great tool Cheesy can I use it to compress the package files in program files? the ones under TSData? I'm sorta short on space Huh
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2007 May 24, 00:44:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, you can. It won't save you too much space, but it will speed up loading times. It really only saves about 25 MB per expansion compressed, and something like 40 MB for the original game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: