More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 21:11:59

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  RAM Issues
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: RAM Issues  (Read 4631 times)
purplebunny
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
RAM Issues
« on: 2007 April 24, 19:10:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to preface, I'm really not sure if this belongs here, or Retardoland. It's such a great topic for a first post. (Long-time lurker, though.)

Since 512 MB of RAM just wasn't cutting it anymore, and there was a sale on laptop memory, I upgrade the laptop I use for Simming to 1 GB last night. Or tried to.

Inserted the new card in the slot (and yes, it was the appropriate sort, right speed, etc.). Computer wouldn't start. Removed it. Computer wouldn't start. Put in the new card only, computer worked fine, but only at 512 MB.

Not only that, but it was crashing when we loaded the Sims (fatal error), and we determined it was either memory-related or buggy download-related as removing the Downloads folder (which is sitting at exactly 1 GB of content atm) fixed the error.

My husband poked and prodded at the laptop a bit more today and discovered the reason that the old memory card wasn't working was because when we were fiddling with it, the connections got orange juice on them from when I spilled OJ on the laptop a year and a half ago.

So yeah, when your RAM chip starts acting up... check for OJ before you do anything else.

Roll Eyes

Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: RAM Issues
« Reply #1 on: 2007 April 26, 00:14:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sound advice.  Tongue Was it at all fixable?

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 April 26, 02:16:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's how I fixed the connections on one of my sticks: I rubbed it gently with an eraser. I read it somewhere; and since I had nothing to lose, I tried it and it worked. Your milage may vary.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 April 26, 06:49:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My techie-ex always does that - in fact taught me to do it for contacts on all sorts of cards. So I have a rubber in my toolbox.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 April 26, 13:45:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I have a rubber in my toolbox.

That has a WHOLE different meaning here in the States. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 April 26, 21:41:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL, jsalemi. I'm aware of both meanings, but even so, it took a second to process what witch meant. And if it were not in context (if purplehaze's post did not exist) it would have been really puzzling, since I rarely remember which country MATY members are from. Context... makes so much difference. It's an example of how the words that are written are not all you need (or all that you mind uses) for full understanding.

Fail.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 April 27, 07:11:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, a rubber in my toolbox and a condom in my drawer. Grin Or used to have many condoms in my drawer until my son and his friends - and I - used them all up as water balloons one mad summer's day.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
purplebunny
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 April 27, 21:02:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, my husband has had to clean off more orange juice several times since then, but the system does finally appear to be stable. Just in case, we ordered some more RAM at an uber-cheap price.

I am not allowed to drink orange juice anywhere near the laptop when I'm doped up on cold medicines anymore... even almost two years later it's haunting me.

Leticron
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 April 28, 13:28:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While in times of AIDS and other STD, it's definitely a good thing to have a rubber in the tool box (what kind of tools btw?? Cheesy Cheesy)
I tend to go the chemical way meaning rubbing alcohol 70% (Isopropyl-alcohol or so...I just pick it up in the local Dollar store)
It is an excellent grease-remover plus the 30% Water content dissolves sugary residues (like in OJ) perfectly without damaging any material (careful with extremely shiny plastic surfaces, LCD Screens and optical lenses, like with all Alcohols) I use that stuff for decades since it's top choice for removing residue on the heads of VCRs and other Tape machines.

-le
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 May 04, 06:17:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My dad told me not to use isopropyl alcohol to clean things because it leaves a residue.  He worked with tape recorders and various other types of electronics and always used denatured alcohol to clean the heads.  This is before PC's were really popular, but I would assume the same would go for any type of electronics.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: