More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 08:52:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Default genetic & custom skins query
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Default genetic & custom skins query  (Read 8621 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Default genetic & custom skins query
« on: 2007 April 21, 02:28:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just made some of my skins fit into the Maxian default genetic range. Because I wanted my alien skins to be outside the Maxian range, I have four skins at less than .10 (one at .09, one at .08, then .07 and .06)

I tried out some mix and matches in CAS. With a parent's skin at .06 and the other parent on the Maxian default light skin, I get my alien skins, plus the very pale ones, plus also the default green Maxis alien skin.

So, two questions.
Do you know what number the Maxian default alien skin is set at?
Can you go to 3 decimal places for a setting e.g. .099?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Default genetic & custom skins query
« Reply #1 on: 2007 April 21, 02:37:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The alien skin is not part of the continuum. It is GREEN!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 April 21, 02:43:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, well my furthest out skin is purple with spots.  Tongue Seriously. Then blue, then the ghostly whites, then Maxis default pale.

I wanted to find out if I could stop my range before it got to the green if I used 3 decimal places. But I don't want to blow up my game finding out, so that's why I'm asking.

aqualectrix
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 April 21, 03:48:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Maxian alien skin ought to have value 0 just like any other custom skin.  I.e. what happened to you shouldn't happen.  I'm sure you've thought of the possibility, but perhaps you have something -- a mod or default replacement -- that changes it somehow?

I seem to remember that when I was first messing around with geneticizing skins I had no success with three decimal places -- but that was a long time ago.  My memory may be false or things may have changed.  I doubt you'll mess anything up very much if you try it.  It probably won't have any effect on your green problem, because that shouldn't be happening in the first place.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 April 21, 04:41:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It SHOULDN'T have 0.  That makes it completely dominant of all.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 April 21, 04:56:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm. I do have Laverwinkle's default lilac for aliens - and paste for vamps, I wonder if that would make the green show up in my range for some reason?

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 April 21, 06:26:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay. D'oh. One of my ghostly pale skins has a distinct greenish cast in toddlers and children. When I made a child between the two sims, I didn't age it up. This time I checked all ages and saw it wasn't the alien skin.

AnnaM
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 April 21, 07:03:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think there are explanations of how this works on  Genensims: http://genensims.com/new.htm. Or you can just copy what they do for their "special" skins. (Me, I don't know nothing, but I saw the page the other day so I'm passing it on...)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 April 21, 09:59:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, that's where I started last night. Madame Mim didn't know the answers to my questions, so she suggested I ask here.

Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 April 21, 10:58:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You feeling dizzy yet Witch? The suggestion to come and read my web (which is really only a link to BogSims Institute and the same information fleshed out) made me laugh.

I suppose that was mean of me, as AnnaM suggesting had no idea you'd already tried to pick my empty mind, but I couldn't help it.

I must admit your suggestion that you'd got the alien skin by using less than 0.10 was what confused me most - I thought I must have missed something fundamental. But if that was a mistaken identity at least you got half your answers when aqualectrix relealled testing 3 decimal places with no success.

I had another thought on who you could ask - Theo. He might know about the exact way alien skins fit into the scheme of things (because even if they are outside/removed from the skin numbering range they definately aren't straight custom '0' skins either). He finally managed to get me to understand that I couldn't make a genetic and npcAvailable version of the 'same' skin without first making one of them into a completely different skin or they'd conflict.
« Last Edit: 2007 April 21, 11:07:25 by Madame Mim » Logged

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 April 21, 11:59:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually what makes me dizzy is the realisation of how easy it is to genetisise skins and how I waited so long before trying.  Grin

I have both my answers now - I'm not seeing the alien skin at less than .10. That's fine, I didn't want it as a skin, I just thought I was seeing it in error.

I can't use 3 decimal places - so I'll have to pick and choose skins carefully for the range 'a whiter shade of pale' as there are limited slots I can use.

Sim breeding was the thing I looked forward to the most before sims 2 came out and I was so disappointed that custom skins just overrode default ones. I'm much happier now.

aqualectrix
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 April 21, 15:10:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Li'l Brudder: You're right, apparently the Maxian alien skin is a little wonky in the way its dominance behaves.  IgnorantBliss explained it pretty well starting about here in the old Changing Dominant/Recessive Values on Skin and Eyes thread.
Tamha
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 April 21, 22:43:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Witch, do keep in mind that you can set multiple skins to the same value. That should help the limiting problem a little, at least. Wink

A mean person laughs with you because they don't really mean it. A really mean person just laughs at you.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 April 21, 23:02:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, I do remember now you mention it. I saw it in a text file and mentally thought, I'll worry about that later if I get this thing going. But then I forgot.  Cheesy

ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 April 21, 23:15:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Erm...

Mine are set to three decimal places (I have a shitload of skins from 0.010 to 0.999. They work just fine for me.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 April 21, 23:36:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WICKED! Thanks. So I'm all sweet then.

I can keep the alien skins at either end of the range, so if I don't want to interbreed the aliens with ordinary sims, I won't pollute the gene pool with weird skins. Cheesy

Now I just have to find more interesting skins. Unfortunately I don't like Enayla's skins, the shine makes them look like reverse racoon masks and the pixie series just makes them look ill. Not talented enough to make my own. Yesterday I picked up about three skins off TSR free section - out of about 518 I think.  Roll Eyes

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 April 22, 00:05:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can go higher than 0.99. You can do 1.99, for example. I have several like that and they work.

Fail.
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 April 22, 02:17:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have skins by Sandy at Around the Sims, almost all of Enayla's, almost all of Genensim's "normal" tones, and some random ones from MTS2...mostly from Self-Sims. Oh, and I LOVE Lyran's.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 April 24, 08:51:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Witch - no, it's definately not difficult, but I still find it mind numbing when I have a pile to do. It's so repititious that I can only do a few before I have to start going back over what I have done to see that I actually did it - if that makes any sence at all.

In some ways it would be easier if it was harder . . . feh, you know what I mean (at least I hope you do).

As an aside I now have NPC Available versions (which don't overwrite their companion genetic versions) for my Enayla normals and Dewshine's one series. http://www.genensims.com/guest/MadameMim/skins.htm

NPC furries and Genensim normals will follow soonish.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 April 24, 10:53:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Witch - no, it's definately not difficult, but I still find it mind numbing when I have a pile to do. It's so repititious that I can only do a few before I have to start going back over what I have done to see that I actually did it - if that makes any sence at all.

I agree, after you've done two or three, it's like, 'oh, did I type .8 or .9 for that last one?' (Or did I type anything at all!) It's a bit routine and easy to forget bits - like driving on autopilot.

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2007 April 24, 11:29:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, what exactly is it that makes a skin available or not available to NPC's?

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 April 24, 14:22:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To make a skin npc Available you have to completely decustomise it. You need to go into the XML of the skin and make the flag setting all 0's and the creator setting as well. Then delete the version and product line. All the one's I have done have also been geneticised, so I make the assumption that that is necessary too - but I don't know for sure.

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 April 25, 05:05:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Keep in mind that you will no longer be able to select that skin in CAS.

Fail.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2007 April 25, 05:11:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Keep in mind that you will no longer be able to select that skin in CAS.

Huh, that's also need-to-know information, thanks!

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: