More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 19:03:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Testers Wanted - Realistic Sickness
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Testers Wanted - Realistic Sickness  (Read 159212 times)
Avadon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Testers Wanted - Realistic Sickness
« on: 2007 April 12, 13:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've compared the BHAV from TS2 base and TS2 Seasons.  This mod should be compatible with all episodes. 
This is my first release..it's in testing..normal disclaimer as always; this may cause smoke to exit your computer, kill your Sims, nuke your neighborhoods, squish your cats, etc.
Please examine and provide feedback on my first attempt to contribute.
------
This mod is an attempt to make sicknesses more realistic, after you have caught the sickness.
Your chances to catch a sickness is not changed.
I've done multiple tests to balance it logically and realistically as best as possible.
------
+8 if the Sim is sleeping (skips other variables)
------
+2 if the Sim is sitting
+2 if the Sim's energy is >= 50 (75%)
+1 if the Sim's comfort is >= 50 (75%)
=+5 Max improvement, while awake
------
-6 if a sim is not sleeping or sitting
-4 if a sim's energy is < 0 (50%)
-2 if a sim's comfort is < 0 (50%)
=-12 Max deterioration, while awake
------

Venusy MOD EDIT: Attaching file here, because I hate going through ad-infested download sites just to download a small file.
BastDawn Mod Edit: Apparently, this version works better.  Download the attachment here at your own risk.   Tongue

* real-Sickness.package (0.75 KB - downloaded 4678 times.)
« Last Edit: 2008 September 25, 07:52:57 by BastDawn » Logged
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
Re: Testing - Realistic Sicknesses
« Reply #1 on: 2007 April 12, 17:42:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At this stage I can confirm that, left to their own devices, a sim is able to die from disease using this mod. My male adult sim passed on after two days of being pretty much left to his own devices. The pregnant adult female plant sim and the adult male vampire he lived with both got sick at the same time & are both still ill.

I am a bit concerned about what appears to be an orphaned pregnancy as a result of this though.  I will continue playing this household out until birth should happen, then if it proves to be an orphaned pregnancy, i shall test the same lot over from fresh.

Don't mind me, there's just something freaky going on with plantsim pregnancies in my game.
« Last Edit: 2007 April 12, 17:54:39 by floopyboo » Logged

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 April 12, 20:04:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So... I'm confused.  Does this mean that sims, who are just standing around and inactive are more prone to getting sick... like randomly/spontaneously?  Or do they need to be exposed to some form of disease carrying vector?

Ste

Avadon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 April 12, 20:13:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This doesn't affect how or if they get sick.
It makes it harder for them to get better.

If/when a Sim gets sick using this mod, you should put it to bed or keep it sitting as much as possible.
A sick Sim should not be running around, have it read books, play chess/piano, or eat.

Perhaps I should add in temperature checks. -4 for too cold, -2 for too hot, +2 for in between.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 April 12, 22:59:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahh. Ok, the description is somewhat confusing and vague.  So, this is assuming your sim is already sick, then your "new" checks apply.  Ok, I'll bite.

I would also suggest maybe adding aspiration checks.  If a sim is gold/plat, then maybe they have a better/easier chance of getting healthy again.

Maybe also add checks for skills.  If a sim tends to be cleaner (cleaning, duh), smarter (logic), and healthier/stronger (body) i.e. the more points they have in those skills, the better chance they have at getting healthy again. Smiley

Ste

Lana B
Dimwitted Dunce

This post not officially sanctioned

View Profile
Re: Testers Wanted - Realistic Sickness'
« Reply #5 on: 2007 April 13, 00:14:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe not so much skill points as personality. Neat, active, fit sims are more likely to recover quickly but I agree with the aspiration part. Depression makes illnesses linger, a positive outlook can do wonders.
I like the idea of this as I currently do nothing to avoid illness in my game. The only one that kills is pregnancy and that's really just starving because they're too stupid to eat when hungry. This should make the trash can more interesting. I like unplanned deaths as my sims have too many children.

"Curse that alpha turkey, rohina! She will get her comeuppance next Grammar Day-- I will make sure of it!"
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 April 13, 00:21:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh wonderful. I have been planning to do a nmod like this for a while now (sickness /should/ be serious), but as I am lazy I never got around to it.

If you plan to introduce some checks like syberspunk suggests, I do not think you should check for skills. Do a check for aspiration though (the lower the aspiration the greater the chance of bad effects happening) Smiley
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 April 13, 00:47:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe also add checks for skills.  If a sim tends to be cleaner (cleaning, duh), smarter (logic), and healthier/stronger (body) i.e. the more points they have in those skills, the better chance they have at getting healthy again. Smiley
I tihnk it should be opposite, that the lesser the neatness score of the sim, the more resistant he is to diseases. If you're filthy and rarely bathe, like me, your immune system is toughened by all those years of constant fighting, whereas the immune systems of neat freaks are like soft, cushy, rear-guard militia troops and fold at the slightest sign of resistance.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 April 13, 00:55:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing I like about skills tho... is that the chance of getting sick would, in a sense be mutable.  I think it sort of makes sense that... if your sim gets smarter, learns how to be cleaner, and develops their body and fitness, it stands to reason that the sim should be much more resistant to getting sick.  Not that they would be completely immune, but I think it should still have some kind of influence.

Another thing that might be interesting is... if there are actually different types of illness, perhaps a sim will be less prone to getting sick again from the same disease.  In this way, it sort of models the immune system in a somewhat more realistic way.  I mean, if you manage to survive the plague... then you should be less likely to suffer from the plague again, at least.

I tihnk it should be opposite, that the lesser the neatness score of the sim, the more resistant he is to diseases. If you're filthy and rarely bathe, like me, your immune system is toughened by all those years of constant fighting, whereas the immune systems of neat freaks are like soft, cushy, rear-guard militia troops and fold at the slightest sign of resistance.

Ok, I can buy that... but I think that would be more of a personality thing rather than a skills thing.  If a sim is sloppy, then sure you can say they are filthy.  But gaining skills in cleanliness, shouldn't that make you next to godliness or something i.e. less likely to get sick. Cheesy

Ste

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 April 13, 01:43:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I can buy that... but I think that would be more of a personality thing rather than a skills thing.  If a sim is sloppy, then sure you can say they are filthy.  But gaining skills in cleanliness, shouldn't that make you next to godliness or something i.e. less likely to get sick. Cheesy
I said that, yes. I mean, I'm not really very neat, or maybe I'm very deliberately and methodically not neat, but I definitely know how to clean things. There's nothing like the cleansing power of a 1500K plasma blast.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Avadon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 April 13, 01:56:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing I like about skills tho... is that the chance of getting sick would, in a sense be mutable.  I think it sort of makes sense that... if your sim gets smarter, learns how to be cleaner, and develops their body and fitness, it stands to reason that the sim should be much more resistant to getting sick.  Not that they would be completely immune, but I think it should still have some kind of influence.

Another thing that might be interesting is... if there are actually different types of illness, perhaps a sim will be less prone to getting sick again from the same disease.  In this way, it sort of models the immune system in a somewhat more realistic way.  I mean, if you manage to survive the plague... then you should be less likely to suffer from the plague again, at least.
I think doing something like this would require tokens or something.  I currently don't know enough Sims coding to attempt this.  Perhaps as time passes I'll learn more, or if someone would like to assist me; that'd be fine too.

Sounds good. (writes on todo list)
Kids these days seem to get sick a lot more often.. imo, parents are sanitizing too much.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 April 13, 02:10:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ste, I think that sickness is already freakishly hard to get.

Only if I leave garbage out will anyone get the flu.  No one gets a cold, and as such it never advances to pneumonia, and nobody ever manages to catch the deadly virus.

I would love to see a "Catch Diseases Easier" mod.  I would probably be the only one downloading it, but hey...
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 April 13, 03:13:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe make the chances of catching a bug higher in winter on community lots for example.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 April 13, 03:24:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would love to see a "Catch Diseases Easier" mod.  I would probably be the only one downloading it, but hey...

My country neighborhood needs more sickness. The sims are supposed to die in 50% of the cases if they catch any kind of "coughing" sickness, but so far no one has caught so much as a teeny cold. So much for the deadly and highly contagious consumption I was planning to have ravage the neighborhood....

Fail.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 April 13, 03:28:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lol

You could always use the "Decimate Neighborhood" option on the Lot Debugger.

I do not condone the use of such techniques ever.  If you are dumb enough to listen to me, you deserved it.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2007 April 13, 06:08:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think doing something like this would require tokens or something.  I currently don't know enough Sims coding to attempt this.  Perhaps as time passes I'll learn more, or if someone would like to assist me; that'd be fine too.

I don't think you'd need tokens at all.  Skills (well basic skills at least) and personality traits are all just regular ol' Sim persondata.  All you would have to do is use locals to represent some % chance of getting better (or... if you are so inclined, % chance of getting sick to begin with), and modify that % chance based on:

Aspiration level, personality, and skills.  All of which you can easily check by comparing persondata to literals.  It is pretty similar to comparing a sim's motives, which you are already doing in your hack.

Ste, I think that sickness is already freakishly hard to get.

Only if I leave garbage out will anyone get the flu.  No one gets a cold, and as such it never advances to pneumonia, and nobody ever manages to catch the deadly virus.

I would like a higher chance of catching diseases as well, but only if it makes sense.  Such as actually being exposed to potential disease carrying vectors - garbage, strays, children, other sick people, strangers, in particular filthy, stinky strangers who obviously don't bathe - they might not be sick themselves, but they could very well be carrying some disease they happen to be immune to, having become accustomed to it, but they should still be able to infect others... also zombies could carry disease, extreme weather should also increase the chance of getting sick.

Anyhew, as I understand it, thus far, this hack only decreases the chance of getting better once a sim is already sick.

Maybe make the chances of catching a bug higher in winter on community lots for example.

I agree... I would also like to see like sorta "hay fever" or I guess "colds" from being out in the woods during Spring.

I actually had a couple of sims get sick the other day from the garbage being out and cockroaches.  Cockroaches should also carry and spread disease.  My sims got well fairly quickly tho, on their own... so perhaps I will give this mod a try sometime... it is just too easy for sims to get better.  But I would still think there should be some sort of randomness involved as well, which is why I think the % chance of getting better... or contracting a disease in the first place, should be based on certain variables.

Ste

Avadon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 April 13, 09:38:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(Re: Tokens)  I was referring to immunity from diseases a sim already had.  I'm assuming a token is like a stamp stating something happened and can be checked to satisfy if statements.  Can a sim be checked to see if it has had a memory, that would probably be an easier way to do immunities.
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 April 13, 13:34:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Food poisoning works well. 

When I had only TS2, Mercutio in Veronaville ate bad food and seemed to walk by every house I loaded.  Invited in, he would constantly run to the toilet and vomit.   When I finally played his home, I sent him to bed. He climbed out a few seconds later, curled up and died. 

Find out what's in the code for food poisoning and unleash it :-)

happy now :-)
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2007 April 13, 14:03:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the base sims 2 game, sims could recover on other lots, iirc. This caused a bug which made sims die when their lot was loaded.

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2007 April 13, 14:07:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am quite happy for my sims to get sick and even to die.  What pees me off the most is that the *same* illness goes round and round and round the same family with no sign of any immunity developing.  IN the end it just gets boring as they do nothing but cough.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 April 13, 14:17:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My country neighborhood needs more sickness. The sims are supposed to die in 50% of the cases if they catch any kind of "coughing" sickness, but so far no one has caught so much as a teeny cold. So much for the deadly and highly contagious consumption I was planning to have ravage the neighborhood....
Eh, the game doesn't have tuberculosis. It does have vampires, though. Did you know that reports of vampire attacks typically go up in association with tuberculosis epidemics?

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2007 April 13, 16:03:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(Re: Tokens)  I was referring to immunity from diseases a sim already had.  I'm assuming a token is like a stamp stating something happened and can be checked to satisfy if statements.  Can a sim be checked to see if it has had a memory, that would probably be an easier way to do immunities.

Oh... duh me.  Yeah, that would most likely require tokens as you described.  I personally haven't worked with tokens much, but I think Inge, Crammy, and twojeffs might have some experience with that.

If there are memories of getting sick, that actually have a property specifying what type of illness it was, then yes, you should be able to check that way as well.  But I don't think there are memories for getting sick... are there?

I think there are a couple of "skills" that are token based, "hidden skills" like dancing and pool.  You could probably also look into how badges work.  I don't recall ever finding any documentation/tutorials on tokens.  It would be great if there was one, on how to create/customize tokens and how to use em.

Ste

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2007 April 13, 16:28:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From my investigations there is a token - just one - that says the sim has an illness going on.  I couldn't see anywhere a property was set upon that token to say what type of illness it is.   Though I would have expected to find one.  Nearly everything after that is done by the disease controller object.  I have never seen a "got ill" memory on a sim either.   I am not saying they don't get one, but disease control is something I have tried to do myself acouple of times and the best I could do was to suspend disease processing altogether by hacking the controller.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 April 13, 16:39:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the base sims 2 game, sims could recover on other lots, iirc. This caused a bug which made sims die when their lot was loaded.

*nods head* People never had it so good - and to think they all complained about it!  Now here we are begging for its return.

happy now :-)
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 April 13, 17:11:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh, the game doesn't have tuberculosis. It does have vampires, though. Did you know that reports of vampire attacks typically go up in association with tuberculosis epidemics?
I know. One has to roll dice for anything really good to happen in the game.

Vampires don't really fit into my "country" theme, but I think I might make some vampire zombies that carry the plague... if I can figure out a good way to actually infect sims with a virus after contact.

Fail.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: