More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 08:47:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  So, what's the best way to sort through and cull one's downloads?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: So, what's the best way to sort through and cull one's downloads?  (Read 20693 times)
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
Re: So, what's the best way to sort through and cull one's downloads?
« Reply #25 on: 2007 April 12, 16:51:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh. My plants folder is totally the biggest in my downloads.

Well, except for that scary folder called "Hairs, need sorting."

Ooooh... me too, except mine is the "WTF random numbers crap?' folder.

Meh...
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 April 13, 12:36:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I took the advise of the Wise One here and deleted everything without a name to start with.   Then I got truly organised and put all items in their creator's folders except the big global ones like ACR, Insim and InTeen. 

I download  on these principles:

1. Non-global hacks that add to gameplay.
2. Modded objects that DO something and can be sold as part of a business (OFB)
3. Beautiful hair - Because.
4. Themed clothing - I play historical lots.  But even there I had so much I took out the folders and stored them in a separate harddrive with the view that if I really needed them I'd go back and choose just enough to play with.  JM rightly pointed out that you only really need enough clothes for your sims to wear - if they're not wearing them why clog up your game?

My last big cull which was done around OFB was when I decided if an object didn't add to the game play then I shouldn't have it.  I also decided that furniture recolours just took up space and if I really, really had to have them then I would have to go back to the source to download it.  Needless to say, I don't have many recolours.  Naturally, if you are a keen builder that would not apply to you in the same way.

Now that I am sorted and organised my downloads folder is a slim 2.10GB and my game loads quickly.  An afternoon (or two days) spent sorting pays dividends.

Personally, I think it's much easier to start with an empty Downloads folder and put in new labelled folders the stuff you want to keep, than it is to start deleting stuff in Bodyshop or CAS - its too time consuming (and its bloody boring).  Plus rebuilding your Downloads folder is like going shopping - it's fun!

I just did a mini-cull with Seasons, because I had to remove hacks anyway and I put the extracted stuff (mainly historical downloads) I will need to use later in folders on a separate hard drive. I also deleted all the downloaded files that I'd already extracted stuff from - they were just taking up space and I don't know why I was hoarding anyway.

My final recommendation: go for a  brand new slimline Downloads folder - don't waste your time deleting.

happy now :-)
Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 April 13, 14:21:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had my download folder at under 1 GB and was so proud of myself.  For objects, I did some investagatory work and figured out what creators had the best quality to file size ratio and booted out the rest.  Hair and clothes I waded through in CAS.

A week or two ago I got a bug and decided I had to have a new neighbourhood for a story that spans centuries and continents.  I think I just wanted to go on a download spree, and that gave me an excuse  Cheesy My folder is now up to 2.5 GB and I'm already sick of loading times.  I think I'm going to have to go back to my basics because even with a metric assload of options, 99% of my houses are built and decorated using only objects from Holy Simoly and by Cyclonesue and Windkeeper and I never use any of Peggy's hair. I really need to come to terms with this. Is there a support group?
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 April 13, 16:47:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ha ha!  Grin

One good thing about Seasons is that toddlers are finally aging with randomised lotbinned hair.  Hooray!  Hence my *hidden number of gigs* of hairstyles.  Not to mention the fact that hair can finally be matched to outfits.  Barbie doll anyone? 

I would love to get down to 1 GB but even I accept that that isn't going to happen: downloading is now part of my DNA. Tongue

happy now :-)
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 April 14, 08:57:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My hair folder alone is one gig.  And that's after I pruned away all the bad pay hairs, bulletproof hairspray meshes and all the stuff I'd just never use.  All binned, with shared grey colour, and unused textures deleted.
But I have reduced my downloads folder from 4GB to 2.3GB, and that's quite an achievement; expecially since I didn't lose anything I'd actually miss.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 April 14, 10:10:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My downloads folder is less than one gig, and even then, I kind of need to go back and start trimming stuff. I downloaded a lot of decoration objects when I was first starting out, and now those items seem worthless. (How many bathroom clutters do I need? :P)

Perhaps I am a picky person, and also the kind that doesn't really like navigating sites unless I am looking for something specific. Right now, I am searching for decent clothes. Now THAT I actually use.
Leticron
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 April 14, 15:01:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried Delphie's Organiser....but somehow it didn't "totally convice" me, even tho the Orphans-Option is quite nice!
I always usedSims2Clean-Installer which takes care of doubles and lets me move stuff into subfolders which are created as needed.

-le
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2007 April 14, 16:51:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm finding Delphy's new organizer somewhat helpful for weeding out orphans (it still returns a lot of false positives, but it whittles the list down far enough that I can pick the actual orphans out manually.)  I'm liking its search function, too.  Between that, Clean Installer, SimPE and Categorizer, it seems I've now got most of the important download-organizing bases covered, if imperfectly.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 April 14, 17:00:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...I saw somebody said it was deleting the file one away from the one chosen, so that could muck things up...

'Twas me!  I go by many names!  Clarence may or may not be one of them.

Oh, and jfade>Delphy.
nataku
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 April 15, 00:52:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I find HomeCrafter Plus to be useful in viewing and deleting custome floors, walls and ground textures as I can go through them all, see what they look like and who made them/where they came from and then decide which ones I wont use and delete them.
wetninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 April 15, 01:20:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used the Delphys program in conjunction with the sims clean installer.  I used it for the orphaned files only when it listed them I went through the clean in staller.  I to found that a large number of my recolor cloths were coming out as orphans.  But there was a large number of other files that I knew were actually orphaned and disabled or removed them through the clean installer.

I have not started up my game today since I finished this two day project.  I am all for a program that is much more accurate if it is out there or is in the process of being available.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 April 16, 09:36:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if anyone is utilizing a better method I'd love to hear about it.
del *.*
unzip moreawesomethanyou.zip

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 April 16, 17:15:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My downloads folder is less than one gig, and even then, I kind of need to go back and start trimming stuff. I downloaded a lot of decoration objects when I was first starting out, and now those items seem worthless. (How many bathroom clutters do I need? Tongue)

Perhaps I am a picky person, and also the kind that doesn't really like navigating sites unless I am looking for something specific. Right now, I am searching for decent clothes. Now THAT I actually use.
Mangosims2 (http://mangosims2.free.fr/) is truly evil in that regard. Every set is chock full of decorative objects, and it can be next to impossible to know which are which until you find some random object six months ago (even if you do know a fair bit of French). How many empty vases do I need? Do I trully need a whole bunch of different sized sticks?

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 April 17, 00:00:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use simcat, Zazazu. You can zorch useless decor in there just fine...

...and, with babelfish, rewrite frenchy comments, too.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 April 17, 15:26:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You mean this? http://www.simcat.ca ? I hardly see how some governmental renovation project in Montreal will help me.

Oh wait...this http://148.122.173.174/pplace/Sims2cat_Main.htm Actually, that's just what I was looking for, thanks. Nothing else gives me pictures that look like much of anything.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: