More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 21:14:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Tutorial: Easiest Way to Make Default Replacement Eyes.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Tutorial: Easiest Way to Make Default Replacement Eyes.  (Read 30184 times)
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
Tutorial: Easiest Way to Make Default Replacement Eyes.
« on: 2007 April 08, 02:39:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because people keep asking. And because I can't remember where I posted this tutorial before. I know I posted it somewhere. Too many forums....

EASIEST Way to Make Default Replacement Eyes

1. Download and install the DDS Utilities if you haven't already: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/dds_utilities.html

Follow this link to find out how to install: http://sims.ambertation.de/tut_ps.shtml

2. Download the eyes that you want to make into default replacements.

3. Download a complete default replacement set. Try this one: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=88441

4. Open your downloaded eyes (from step 2) one by one in SimPE and navigate to the big texture image. Right-click on the texture and choose Export. Save the texture to the Desktop or into a folder where you will be able to find it easily.

This is what a normal eye recolor looks like in SimPE (just the top panel):

And here's how you export the texture:

When you finish this step you should have 5 textures saved, since there are 5 eye colors in the game.

5. Open the default replacement package that you downloaded (step 3). This is what it will look like in SimPE:

6. Choose one of the textures. Right-click on it and choose Build DXT:

7. A little box will pop up. Click the blue text that says open. Find the texture you exported earlier and open it. Then click the button in the lower-right corner of the little box that says Build.

8. You will see the texture change. Now click the Commit button.

9. Repeat steps 6, 7, and 8 for the other textures.

10. Now do File ---> Save.

« Last Edit: 2007 April 10, 06:25:31 by SaraMK » Logged

Fail.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
Re: Tutorial: Easiest Way to Make Default Replacement Eyes.
« Reply #1 on: 2007 April 08, 17:23:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The version of SimPE I have seems to be different than the one you're referencing. I didn't have an 'export' option, only an 'extract' option. Also, when I opened the default replacement set, I didn't have a Build DXT option. I *think* I got everything set up properly for DDS Utilities, but I'm honestly not sure since the menu options were a little bit different.

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 April 08, 18:54:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The version of SimPE I have seems to be different than the one you're referencing. I didn't have an 'export' option, only an 'extract' option. Also, when I opened the default replacement set, I didn't have a Build DXT option. I *think* I got everything set up properly for DDS Utilities, but I'm honestly not sure since the menu options were a little bit different.

You really need to update SimPE. "Extract" was at least three versions ago. However, it's still the same option as Export, so I think that part should still work.

Build DXT, however, should still show up if it's installed, so something is wrong there.

Fail.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 April 08, 18:58:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I should have the most recent version of it. I updated when they updated for Pets, and I've been able to use it up to Seasons without getting the 'you should update' message. :/

This is weird. I have version 0.60.2.20832, so there must be something I'm doing wrong.
« Last Edit: 2007 April 08, 19:06:13 by Orikes » Logged

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 April 08, 19:12:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, you might not be in Advanced mode. I always forget that part. Maybe that's your problem.

Open SimPE, go to Extra ---> Preferences, select the SimPE Settings button on the left, and check the box for Advanced Mode. You will need to close SimPE before the changes happen.

Fail.
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 April 08, 19:29:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In case it helps, also make sure that in Options, your path to the Nvidia DDS Utils is set correctly:

I remember that I had this problem too, when I hadn't pointed SimPE to the correct folder.
Sara, this tutorial worked brilliantly for me. Thankyou!
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 April 08, 20:46:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm pretty sure I've got it pointing to the right directory for that part at least.

I must be brilliant, because I've got SimPE's windows and view all screwed up at this point. Before I screwed everything up, I could get to the part in step 4, where you have the item open and can see the piece listed in the Resource List, but I couldn't figure out how to get to the next step where you can see the eye. I'm thinking that's the piece I'm missing. Of course, now I don't know how to get SimPE back to a normal view. :}

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 April 08, 21:22:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SimPE has a Reset Layout option. This is what it looks like (the one with the cursor pointing to it):

Or you can go to Extra --> Preferences --> SimPE Settings --> there's a button that says Reset Layout.

Also, make sure you are in Plugin view. That's the little tabs on the bottom of the screen:

ETA:It occurred to me that I may be overanalyzing the problem.

but I couldn't figure out how to get to the next step where you can see the eye

Are you sure you are selecting the texture from the list?

When you open the eye recolor, you may need to select the texture from the list on the left and then select it again when it shows up on the right side. The full texture should then show up on the bottom.

« Last Edit: 2007 April 08, 21:40:11 by SaraMK » Logged

Fail.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 April 08, 23:58:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Click or double click?

I clicked on it and it highlighted it, but it didn't bring up anything else. I double clicked on it and nothing happened. Of course, this could have been because I'd already seriously mucked up my windows and the layout of SimPe. Either way, I'll poke at it again tonight when I get home from work. :}

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 April 08, 23:59:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just one click.

It really sounds like you are not in Plugin view.

Do reset the layout first. It can't hurt anything.

Fail.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 April 09, 07:41:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That did it! I reset the layout, made sure I was in plug-in view, and it all made sense. Sorry I was such a bonehead about it. Smiley

Do you know much about custom content eyes? I'm curious why they add fake eyelids around them when it obviously ends up making the eye animations weird. Overall I'm loving custom eyes now, but I'm pondering how this is going to affect my future smustlers.

Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 April 09, 08:49:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Errr, stupid question time. Is it possible to replace only one of Maxis eye colors with a custom color (not in a set)?

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 April 09, 16:29:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Errr, stupid question time. Is it possible to replace only one of Maxis eye colors with a custom color (not in a set)?

Yup.

First of all, you can download a default eye set (step 3 of my tutorial) that has each eye in a separate file, instead of all of them in one file. Then you can just choose the one you want to replace. Here's one set you can use: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=181909

Or you can delete some of the textures  from the default replacement set. Right click on any of the textures and choose Delete, at which point it will be crossed out, then do File ---> Save and it will vanish completely. The textures are all named, so you know which Maxis eye color they are replacing.

Fail.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 April 10, 06:13:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, SaraMK!

Err, could I make a little request of you? On step 4 where you say, 'Open your downloaded eyes one by one...' could you please specify which downloaded eyes you need to open (the ones you downloaded to replace the defaults in step 2 or the default replacements you just got in step 3)? I'd really appreciate it.  Kiss

"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 April 10, 06:24:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The ones you want to make into defaults (step 2). Those are the textures you need to extract to the Desktop (or wherever), since you will then use them to replace the ones in the default set.

Fail.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 April 10, 07:44:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks. I wasn't sure which downloaded eyes you were referring to. I'll remember that from now on. Smiley

Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 October 02, 21:12:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For the record: I downloaded the utility that was suggested, but I didn't have it as an option with Ye New Fangled SimPE QA; however,  I found that using this method using only 'Extract. . . ' and 'Replace . . .' worked just fine.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: