More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 30, 16:40:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Bump Mapping works with my Gforce 6800GT & Nightlife.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Bump Mapping works with my Gforce 6800GT & Nightlife.  (Read 15181 times)
YYZdnl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Bump Mapping works with my Gforce 6800GT & Nightlife.
« on: 2005 September 29, 01:26:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but bump mapping now appears to work correctly with Gforce cards

To enable bump mapping in the game with nightlife I don't have to force my Nvidia driver shaders to 2.0.  I have a Nvidia Gforce 6800GT and I was having to force my shaders to 2.0 with Riva tuner to get bump mapping working in the game.  I recently upgraded my drivers to version 68.01.  I checked at that time and still had to force the shaders to 2.0 to get the bump mapping to work, but now with Nightlife all is well leaving them set on default.
« Last Edit: 2005 September 29, 01:38:35 by YYZdnl » Logged
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: Bump Mapping works my Gforce 6800GT & Nightlife.
« Reply #1 on: 2005 September 29, 01:28:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uh, say what?

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
YYZdnl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Bump Mapping works my Gforce 6800GT & Nightlife.
« Reply #2 on: 2005 September 29, 01:37:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Had a little clash with my anti cookie/popup software, putting the site on my white list seems to have fixed it.  Sorry about that.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: Bump Mapping works with my Gforce 6800GT & Nightlife.
« Reply #3 on: 2005 September 29, 01:42:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL Oh okay, no problem. Smiley

I always had bump mapping but I have ATI cards for what it's worth. I can't imagine why it would be disabled for a 6800 though as that's a really recent video card and quite capable of bump mapping obviously, but then again Nightlife seems to have this tendency to want to turn all the settings down by default no matter what card you have.  Angry

MokeyHokey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 September 29, 01:49:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah well I have the 6800 Ultra, and never had bumpmaps either, until I discovered the Rivatuner workaround. Evidently, it's TOO good a card and the game doesn't understand it. Tongue  Actually, before I even started up NL I had gone back into the Graphicsrules to fix what I had to change before.  Didn't even try it without--wonder if I wasted my time?  Wink  YYZdnl, have you tried it with the 77.77 driver?
YYZdnl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 September 29, 01:59:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, I was forced by Steam to upgrade my video drivers to play Halflife2 even though it was running fine with my older drivers.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 September 29, 02:33:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm curious: how is the roof detail in hood view? Are there gaps between walls and roof? Do you have shingles?
MokeyHokey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 September 29, 03:08:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Crappy as all hell.  Angry  No, I don't have shingles and yes, I have gaps.  Large ones.  Case in point:

[attachment deleted by admin]
gillies
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 September 29, 03:26:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can avoid those big gaps if you use the hipped roof instead of the shed gabled roof or whatever it's called to do pieces of roof that are half way up walls, etc., by stretching it so the other half of the hipped roof is inside the walls of the house, though you can sometimes see the hidden part of the roof in neighborhood view if the windows disappear, which seems to happen quite a lot.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 September 29, 03:56:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have 6800 Ultra, and got bump maps with Nightlife, but lost object specularity (that I had, unfortunately, already gotten used to after buying this card a couple of months ago).

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 September 29, 05:39:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I'll bite...
(hiss, bleh, etc)

1. how do you know if bump mapping is enabled?
2. Where are driver shaders and how does one force them to do anything?
3. What's a RivaTuner?
4. What's object specularity?
5. Would you expect a GeForce 5700 to show bump mapping?
6. Is this anything to do with anti-aliasing?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 September 29, 07:57:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I'll bite...
(hiss, bleh, etc)

1. how do you know if bump mapping is enabled?
2. Where are driver shaders and how does one force them to do anything?
3. What's a RivaTuner?
4. What's object specularity?
5. Would you expect a GeForce 5700 to show bump mapping?
6. Is this anything to do with anti-aliasing?

1. It may be hard to tell. For months I thought I could see bump maps, but turns out I didn't (I could see them in Bodyshop but not in the game). You can see the bump map effect on some clothing (but not all, since not all outfits have bump maps at all) where it makes the surface seem more 3D. A lot of sweaters that have a texture to them have a bump map. Also the bump map makes underwear look elevated from the skin even if the mesh itself is just flat. It may be hard to tell if you can see the bump maps or not, some comparison pictures with and without might help.

4. Object specularity gives the objects a reflective surface. Say, a table top looks shiny when the light hits it at a certain angle. The Maxis piano looks shiny when object specularity is working. Without it, most objects have a matte surface with no light reflecting off of it.

6. I don't think bump maps or object specularity have anything to do with anti-aliasing.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
kathryn.mari.
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2005 September 29, 10:23:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am so thrilled with this!

I updated my 6800 Ultra with the 77.77 drivers (thanks for the rec. MokeyHokey Wink ) just before I installed NL, and when NL loaded I found I now had bumpmaps!  Grin

I wasn't sure if it was NL, the new drivers, or a combo of both, but whatever it was that enabled the bumpmaps, I am very grateful for!

Only thing now is, I have to rework some of my clothing to fix the texture maps that are showing thru improperly  Tongue

I hadn't noticed the loss of object specularity yet..I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up on that, Ignorant Bliss  Smiley
linolino
Exasperating Eyesore

Linosim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 September 29, 12:17:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

wow, cool, i didn't know the game had bumpmpas at all. actually i did'nt know at bumpmap were.

Now, are the bumpmaps one of the image files that is contained withing a clothing file? i mean, if i export a clothing file, i will get different image files for the texture, for the alpha and for the bumpmaps?
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 September 29, 13:31:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

wow, cool, i didn't know the game had bumpmpas at all. actually i did'nt know at bumpmap were.

Now, are the bumpmaps one of the image files that is contained withing a clothing file? i mean, if i export a clothing file, i will get different image files for the texture, for the alpha and for the bumpmaps?

Yup, the bump map is the gray image file some of the clothing has. I think it's called a "normal" or something similar.

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2005 September 29, 13:54:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know what bump-mapping is either, but I did some test or other that I found on a site and it appears I don't have it.  Have no idea what anti-aliasing is either, or smooth edges (which are greyed-out in my game). 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 September 29, 16:00:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here is a nice guide to tweaking your 6800 (although it works for other cards too)

Some people have been having problems with the 6800 and 7800 and Sims 2. No hard reason why locked down though.

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 September 29, 18:03:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know what bump-mapping is either, but I did some test or other that I found on a site and it appears I don't have it.  Have no idea what anti-aliasing is either, or smooth edges (which are greyed-out in my game). 

Okay since we are exposing our ignorance to one another here....what is the more/less smooth edges option? Mine is set to low by default but so were all my other settings since installing NL (I have a Nvidea GeForceFX5200FT 128DDR, 2.167 ghz AMD Athlon, 160 GB HD and 512 mb). I tweaked all of the settings to high except the smooth edges bit (since I don't know what it does) and have been wanting to ask someone what the UI (something) setting is? Mine is off by default but I don't know what it does so I haven't touched it. Would someone mind explaining that to me?

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 September 29, 19:45:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smoothing edges makes the edges less jagged. If you have the smooth edges slider all the way in the low end, when you look at something like walls in the game, the edges look jagged, kind of like a saw. When you slide it all the way up, the edges look very smooth and straight, but it's more demanding on your computer graphics.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 September 29, 20:46:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In fact smoothing edges is what anti-aliasing does. That slider bar is anti-aliasing, just not called that in the game. My default settings pre-Nightlife with a GeForce 5700 256Mb RAM, put the slider at half way. When I turn it all the way up for taking photos, my game runs perceptibly, but bearably, slower.

It takes quite a bit more processing power to smooth edges more. I think the chip on my g card is 400Mhz, still there's a possible bottleneck. Can't remember the bus size offhand.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 September 30, 14:35:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smoothing edges makes the edges less jagged. If you have the smooth edges slider all the way in the low end, when you look at something like walls in the game, the edges look jagged, kind of like a saw. When you slide it all the way up, the edges look very smooth and straight, but it's more demanding on your computer graphics.

That's pretty much what I thought but I wasn't sure. Can anyone tell me what the UI Transparency setting is for in the options? It is set to off by default in my game.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 September 30, 15:00:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's for the blue menus where you see the sim's picture and the stats etc. With Transparency on it's partially see through, with it off it's solid blue. I'm not sure if it makes a difference in how the game runs or not, but I keep mine off.

KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 September 30, 15:06:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's for the blue menus where you see the sim's picture and the stats etc. With Transparency on it's partially see through, with it off it's solid blue. I'm not sure if it makes a difference in how the game runs or not, but I keep mine off.
Oh okay...thanks Motoki. Smiley

simposiast
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 September 30, 15:10:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And square pixels? Why would I want square pixels?  What shape are they normally?
Braveheart
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 September 30, 18:21:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could someone tell me how to enable bump mapping? Is there a cheat that works?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: