More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 07:30:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  driver issues
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: driver issues  (Read 2783 times)
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
driver issues
« on: 2007 March 14, 16:25:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I knew I'd eventually discover a drawback to using a WinMac ™ Roll Eyes

My problem is this: I'm experiencing some graphical glitches in my game, so I'm thinking that I need to install a new driver. I have Windows XP installed on a separate partition from the Mac OS (I use Windoze exclusively for gaming); thus, the installer for the new driver does not recognise that there's even a graphics card because, of course, the card is installed on the Mac, not the Windows partition. I thought perhaps, since I originally had to install special versions of the Mac drivers for Windows, including one for the graphics card, I could just download the Mac version of the latest driver. Alas, there is not a Mac version, so I'm back to square one.

Feel free to point and laugh, but when you're done I'd appreciate some suggestions. I'm thinking about just emailing ATI tech support to see if somebody can send me a non-executable copy of the driver, along with manual-installation instructions, but I figured I'd check here before going that route. The graphics card in question is an ATI Radeon X1600.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: driver issues
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 15, 19:54:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You probably already know this, but there is a new update for Tiger (10.4.9) which includes new graphics drivers.  Did you get your glitches after applying the update?

If not, maybe try the game with the update first before pursuing another driver?
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 15, 20:09:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I was aware of the update, but it won't solve this particular problem, because I need a driver for the Windows side of things, not the Mac, so that my game will run properly. Thanks anyway, though.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 15, 21:07:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry for the double post, but I *think* I've figured out what I need to do. There may be a new version of Boot Camp (the software that allows a Windows partition to be installed on an iMac) that includes the updated drivers. I'll try messing with it, and see if it solves my problem.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 April 06, 07:12:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aaaaaaaaand, now I'm triple-posting. I set up a ticket with ATI's Customer 'Care' department and got a generic form letter telling me to visit their website and read how to install a driver. If the normal procedures were at all applicable to my situation, then this may have been helpful, but they aren't, and it's not, and the reply that they gave me really pissed me off. Here is my response, followed by their retarded form letter (note the misspelling of the word 'you' in their letter Roll Eyes:

From me:

Hello. You obviously did not read my message, and simply sent me a generic form letter. My problem is that I have Mac drivers for Windows, and thus the installer for the Windows driver does not acknowledge my current driver, and refuses to install the new one. This is not a matter of knowing, or not knowing, how to install a driver - it is a matter of unusual circumstances that do not allow the normal procedures to be followed. I have read the instructions on your website, many times, and none of them apply to this situation. I am running Windows XP on a Mac. The normal driver-installation procedures do not apply to this scenario. Please re-read my original message and send me a real answer. Thank you.

Sincerely,

[my name]

From them:

----- Original Message -----
To: [my email address]
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 4:31 AM
Subject: Ticket #[the ticket number they gave me] (Windows Partition on Mac OS)

Greetings!

To properly install the newest ATI display drivers and multimedia components (only necessary for All in Wonder and VIVO products), you must first download the software. Visit the Drivers and Software section of our website and navigate to the relevant downloads for your operating system and video card.

Full software and hardware installation instructions can be found at:

http://www.ati.com/install

The article will guide you through the whole process of uninstalling old drivers and installing the new ATI drivers for your video card. You will also find instructions to help you install a new video card if you are installing an ATI graphics card for the first time.

If yu are having problems finding the drivers for your card, please click on the following link:

http://www.ati.com/drivers

Driver updates for supported Mobility products are also available from our website. Supported Mobility products include laptops manufactured by:

Alienware

Arima

Clevo

Eurcom

Falcon Northwest

FIC

HyperSonic PC

Mitac

MSI

Pro-Star

RockDirect

Sager

Uniwell

Velocity Micro

VoodooPC

If these suggestions don't help to resolve your issues, please respond to the ticket and one of our qualified support representatives will assist you. To respond to this ticket you must visit http://support.ati.com and login to My Support.

Thank you forchoosing ATI!

Customer Care

ATI Technologies Inc.

http://support.ati.com

Ticket Information:
Ticket #: [my ticket number]
Date Created: 4/5/2007 5:27 AM EDT
Category: Drivers & Software

To update or check the status of this Ticket:
- Go to: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&ticketID=1212870

Customer Care
ATI Technologies Inc.
ati.com

</asshattish form letter>

Alas, I do not have the original message I sent to them, as it was sent through a form (didn't think to copy it into Notepad), but the very first sentence was 'I have an unusual situation' (which implies that the normal procedures do not apply here), and then taking the time to clearly, and with detail, explain my problem to them, yet their only response is to send a condescending form letter telling me to read their fucking website?!! *sigh* I hate being condescended to. Assholes.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: