More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 04:47:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  The more I learn, the more I realize what a noob I am...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The more I learn, the more I realize what a noob I am...  (Read 40951 times)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: The more I learn, the more I realize what a noob I am...
« Reply #25 on: 2007 April 06, 16:08:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used the blank templates but did not make townies. The neighborhood is pretty bare for awhile but that is ok for my purposes.

Before my adults reach elder I use the shrub to make them townies and this has worked out nicely so far.

Just my contribution and an idea someone else may be able to use.
Hmm. Generally I wouldn't like doing that, because it would just be like a really long way to make new townies. However, it's a good idea for excess children I have no intention of playing. I hate sticking them in a house and then seeing that plumbob there reminding me of their exile. Leaving them in the bin is too much like putting them in the naughty chair.

I went ahead and did a boolProp - create all townies on my new neighborhood. I like getting my family sims married off ASAP, especially since money is tight in the beginning. I kind of wish I'd used new default face templates (my game has been in a royal squinched-eye trend and I prefer anime ones). Maybe I'll restart...again! I'm already regretting using the default downtown instead of creating one with some of my own lot creations.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 April 06, 16:34:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used DAC with a custom template and it worked fine (probably before I heard that DAC was a Bad Ideatm) as I never had any intention of generating townies (which is where this causes the most trouble). There's probably some junk files in there, but my character count is so low I'm not seriously worried about it. If it breaks, I'll start over something else - I'm too distracted by shineys to care that much anyways. I use the blank templates for all the subhoods and for adding new EPs and love 'em - but I don't want all neighborhoods on the pleasantview or whatever template and the hood changing thing is waaaay too complicated for me.

Unsouper
dragoness
Irritating Ignoramus

INTJ.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 April 06, 17:43:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks again for all the info here!!

I've been reading tutorial threads and playing with all sorts of stuff. But even after reading the thread about the blank templates, I have one major question about them:

What ARE they? From reading I think they're blank templates of the existing neighborhoods - Pleasantview, Strangetown, and Veronaville, plus the pre-built sub-neighborhoods, so you can play the maxis-created stuff without having any premade townies or families. Is that right?

In that case, I think I'd rather have my own neighborhood anyway.

I have a set of lots I got from MTS2, which combines two things I adore - very small lots and an urban city theme. I even aquired a copy of SimCity 4 (arr!) so I could make my own map with the streets very close together, to reflect the small size of my new lots. (The widest point between streets is 4 squares... so it could take one 4x4 lot which would take up the whole space, or a 1x1 and a 3x1.) Soon I'll make a similar map for my own Downtown. I decided my shopping district would be more suburban, just in case I felt like playing a lot with a big backyard now and then.

I'm getting SimPE installed right now, so I can use the binning tool to make some of my custom hair not custom anymore so the hair color can be passed down genetically.

After that, I've got notownierespawn, nodormierespawn, nossrespawn, and noredundancy installed. I'll install nostrayrespawn after I let it spawn all the strays at creation. (Speaking of which... the only way to add to the stray pool is to have a pet on a playable lot and abuse them so they run away... is that correct?  Huh)

Once I've created my neighborhood, I use CAS to make a bunch of townies, move them into a lot, and use the teleporter shrub to make them all into townies and downtownies. Then I go to the university, do some create-a-student there, and when I make them "townies" they'll become dormies 'cause they're YA, right?

Once I've done that, then I think I'm finished, and I can start building lots and families and etc and play!

Did I miss anything?  Grin
Shivani
Dimwitted Dunce

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 April 06, 18:03:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What ARE they? From reading I think they're blank templates of the existing neighborhoods - Pleasantview, Strangetown, and Veronaville, plus the pre-built sub-neighborhoods, so you can play the maxis-created stuff without having any premade townies or families. Is that right?

In that case, I think I'd rather have my own neighborhood anyway.

If you have empty templates and create a new neighborhood, you simply won't get saddled with all the Maxis garbage in the way of townies, downtownies, dormies, and residents of places like Bluewater.  The game will gen townies on its own (or you have to if you want them if you're using noregen mods).

However, I get the feeling that (with empty templates) should you rename/remove your existing game folder and let the game regen them (Pleasantview, etc.) then you'll get an empty PV, but normal Veronaville/Strangetown insofar as Maxis playables goes.

Once I've created my neighborhood, I use CAS to make a bunch of townies, move them into a lot, and use the teleporter shrub to make them all into townies and downtownies. Then I go to the university, do some create-a-student there, and when I make them "townies" they'll become dormies 'cause they're YA, right?

YA bodies removed as townies become dormies, yes.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 April 06, 18:10:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe there are also empty templates for Strangetown and Veronaville in the thread with the others.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Shivani
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 April 06, 18:14:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never bothered to check that specifically... I delete the Maxis neighborhoods immediately.

Same would apply, though.  Empty neighborhoods, just waiting to be filled with... something.
dragoness
Irritating Ignoramus

INTJ.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 April 06, 18:25:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have empty templates and create a new neighborhood, you simply won't get saddled with all the Maxis garbage in the way of townies, downtownies, dormies, and residents of places like Bluewater.  The game will gen townies on its own (or you have to if you want them if you're using noregen mods).

So if I want to create my own custom neighborhood, not use the maxis premade anything, I still need the empty templates if I don't want to have any maxis townies?

I think I'm confused now. Sad
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 April 06, 18:43:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if I want to create my own custom neighborhood, not use the maxis premade anything, I still need the empty templates if I don't want to have any maxis townies?

Yes. Even if you always choose "custom" when creating a neighborhood and attaching sub-hoods, you will get hundreds of ugly Maxis sims dumped into your custom neighborhood.

Fail.
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 April 06, 18:46:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it better to DAC or to use a template?

rosenshyne
Dimwitted Dunce

I/ENFJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2007 April 06, 18:57:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's easier to use a template. DAC is just the first step, there's more you have to do to make your neighborhood completely clean. The templates have already done all that work for you.

dragoness
Irritating Ignoramus

INTJ.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 April 06, 18:58:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes. Even if you always choose "custom" when creating a neighborhood and attaching sub-hoods, you will get hundreds of ugly Maxis sims dumped into your custom neighborhood.

Oh bleh. No more Marsha Broenig! No more Goopy! No matter what it takes!  Angry

So just to be sure, even tho it seems kinda obvious... (I've been wrong before!  Cheesy) I want the stuff and instructions under EMPTY TEMPLATES, plus the stuff immediately above it under Seasons Update, right?

Is it better to DAC or to use a template?

Judging from what I've read, if you use DAC, they're all created and then deleted - but the deletion is messy, leaves bits of info all over the place, and those bits could (and will, according to most people) eventually mess everything up. If you clean out the template they're never created in the first place.

The longer you play a neighborhood the more likely it's going to eventually explode into bizarre behavior. But the more careful you are to eliminate these "rogue information" pieces, the longer your neighborhood will be safe.

...But then again I'm a noob so someone can feel free to correct me.  Grin
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 April 06, 19:13:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, so now time for me to get things straight:
1) Don't use DAC, because even after cleaning things up in SimPE, things may screw up in the long run. (Especially if, like me, you are going to create a hood you plan to play for a long time)
2) Use the empty templates found here to save time and possible burnination.
3) The empty templates don't have Maxis families or townies and are the best way to create a clean, custom hood now and for ever more?

« Last Edit: 2007 April 06, 19:27:36 by SimulatedDork » Logged

dragoness
Irritating Ignoramus

INTJ.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 April 06, 19:17:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I think you could clean it all up in SimPE, but there's no point if you can just prevent the mess from being created in the first place. Other than that, yes. Smiley
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 April 06, 19:28:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing is, I plan to use an empty terrain for my sub-hoods. Will fugly townies/NPCs still be generated?
And on Jordi's thread here it says that deleting the Pets folder will stop Pet NPCs and Pets from being added to every 'hood. But I want strays and the NPC Pet Trainer.
Jordi also says on that post that creating subhoods without using the Maxis ones (in other words, custom subhoods) shouldn't spawn any unwanted minions.

Shivani
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 April 06, 19:35:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing is, I plan to use an empty terrain for my sub-hoods. Will fugly townies/NPCs still be generated?

Doesn't matter.  If you do NOT have the empty templates for the subhoods, the fugly Eaxis townies will get carried over.  Use the empty templates.

And any townie/NPC/whatever generated by the game will be fugly if you have not replaced the facial template files.
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2007 April 06, 19:42:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with Angelyne if you have sufficient editing tools,you don't have a prob just using maxis townies.  Goopy in my game is down right hott!  He has had a slight personality change(via InSIMinator) he has had plastic surgery that is permanent(thanx to a great and simple Sim PE tutorial--I believe it is at MATY) He has a body builder body(Insiminator site) and genetic due to the SimEnhancer(pay program) he also has cutom grey eyes and custom hair.  I was able to change his clothing and give him plastic surgery by Christianlov's clothing boutique over at Mod the sims(it isn't updated for seasons but the only limitation is that it doesn't have the outerwear option but everything else works)  The great thing about this method is that you can do it a little at a time.  Fix sims as they annoy you.
kimmyfrmtx
Asinine Airhead

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 April 06, 19:45:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm. Generally I wouldn't like doing that, because it would just be like a really long way to make new townies. However, it's a good idea for excess children I have no intention of playing. I hate sticking them in a house and then seeing that plumbob there reminding me of their exile. Leaving them in the bin is too much like putting them in the naughty chair.

I went ahead and did a boolProp - create all townies on my new neighborhood. I like getting my family sims married off ASAP, especially since money is tight in the beginning. I kind of wish I'd used new default face templates (my game has been in a royal squinched-eye trend and I prefer anime ones). Maybe I'll restart...again! I'm already regretting using the default downtown instead of creating one with some of my own lot creations.

I don't do it to make townies, I don't like townies - they are just a waste of character files IMO.

This way my sims never turn into elders (boring) and they never die (unless they piss me off). I also don't have to watch the family boohoo about them being dead which is a plus.

I start the game with 4-5 families which is enough friends to satisfy the need friends for careers and the game generates other people to make friends with if needed (paperperson, mailman, maybe a delivery person) until the toddlers grow to children to roam the neighborhood unsupervised.

I did create my own dormies so if the teenager don't hookup by that time they can have a selection of dormies to select from.

This style may not suit everyone but for those trying to keep character files at a minimum I wanted to share it.

STFU already NoobTard, you are disturbing my lurking.

Then and than are different words with different meanings; look up the correct usage.  I am running out of furniture polish.  [slams head on desk]
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 April 06, 20:07:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And any townie/NPC/whatever generated by the game will be fugly if you have not replaced the facial template files.
But I will not need to replace the facial template files because the only Maxis sims I am going to have are NPCs, which I am going to change using Sim Surgery anyway.

SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
N001
« Reply #43 on: 2007 April 06, 20:11:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have long deleted my N001 (Pleasantview). Is it still safe to change the N001 folder to N001-bak as shown in Jordi's tute (C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods) ?

Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2007 April 06, 20:12:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I have understood, the hood generation should work like this:
- In .../Programs/EA Games/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/UserData/Neighborhoods/ there are the three presetted hoods (N001 = Pleasantview, N002 = Strangetown, N003 = Veronaville). These are the templates.
When the game loads the first time, it will copy those three folders in .../MyDocuments/EA Games/The Sims 2/Neighborhoods/, and these will be the pre-made hoods at start.

- When you create a new neighborhood, the game will copy all townie resources and files from .../Programs/EA Games/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/UserData/Neighborhoods/N001/ (Pleasantview) to create townies and NPCs: that's why in every new neighborhood you make you'll have the same Marsha, Komei, Kayleen Langerak and so on.

- Every EP will add a new subneighborhood. I'm not sure about their exact location in Windows, 'cause I have a slightly different installation, in Mac, but I think somehow you can figure it out. My templates are in [.../Programs/]EA Games/The Sims 2/Expansion Packs/[name of EP]/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/.
They are:
  • U001 (Sim State University)
  • U002 (La Fiesta Tech)
  • U003 (don't remember the name - the third Uni subhood)
  • D001 (Downtown - in Nightlife)
  • B001 (Bluewater Village - in OfB)
  • P001 (in Pets)

Along with the addeed playables, U001 should contain all pre-made dormies, D001 all DownTownies, B001 I'm not sure there are new special townies and P001 all the strays.

When you add a Uni subhood, the game will copy all dormies and special NPCs from U001 template, when you add a downtown, the game will copy all downtownies and special NPCs from D001, and if you have installed Pets, also all strays from P001 (And I think also NPCs). Don't know about OfB.

- The trick of empty templates is that they are an exact copy of N001, D001, U001, B001 and P001, but without all characters and related characters data and resources. When the game will look in templates for townies/strays/etc. to copy, will found nothing and then will go ahead.

EDITED TO ADD:
I have long deleted my N001 (Pleasantview). Is it still safe to change the N001 folder to N001-bak as shown in Jordi's tute (C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods) ?
Yes, because when you create a new hood the game will perform a task such as "search for a folder named N001 with neighborhood ID 0 in that location and then copy all townie characters from there". That will fail as soon as it will not find a folder named N001  Grin.
« Last Edit: 2007 April 06, 20:23:44 by Marhis » Logged

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2007 April 06, 20:31:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But I will not need to replace the facial template files because the only Maxis sims I am going to have are NPCs, which I am going to change using Sim Surgery anyway.

In fact you will, so I was told here.  It's something like, as your sims breed, over the generations the off-spring's appearance gets closer and closer to the template faces. I didn't think that was so - I thought it was based on a combination of the parental facial characteristics - but someone here told me it works something like that.  Maybe the face templates are used as a kind of baseline model?  (Speculating)

Inteen for AL, yay!
Shivani
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2007 April 06, 20:37:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Given that each sim has facial characteristics that are considered... um... dominant, I have to wonder.  It's like me going in to edit a sim to make the elf ears more likely to pass down.

Still, I thought that given two sims having a baby, the resulting features would be a mix 'n match based on each feature, which probably results in pulling from template files.  If that is true, then sure... you'd end up with fuglies.

After all, a sim created as an adult doesn't necessarily have any data for younger ages for facial geometry, so it has to pull the data from somewhere, such as the templates.

Isn't that why a replacement file that has ONLY the adult stage in it result in bizarre changes/reversions on elder stage?
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2007 April 06, 20:41:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I, like the masses, have Pets. I, unlike the masses, want to keep the Animal Trainer NPC and the strays. Does that mean I can bypass the ~
If you have Pets, go to your Pets folder (C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 Pets\ or wherever you installed it). Browse to the Neighbourhood template folder \Pets\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\P001 and do the following:
-Back it up. I just zipped the entire folder so I can restore it if the Pets patch comes around, or if I ever want it back.
-Do further cleaning: delete now-unneeded the \Character, \Storytelling, and \Thumbnails subfolders
-Replace P001_Neighborhood.package with an empty version. This prevents the standard Pets and Pet NPCs from being added to every 'hood. It also prevents the two families from magically appearing in your new 'hood's family bin.
~ part of the tutorial? To get rid of the two families in the family bin, I think I'd just delete them manually or even use them! *gasp*

maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2007 April 06, 20:52:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Given that each sim has facial characteristics that are considered... um... dominant, I have to wonder.  It's like me going in to edit a sim to make the elf ears more likely to pass down.

Still, I thought that given two sims having a baby, the resulting features would be a mix 'n match based on each feature, which probably results in pulling from template files.  If that is true, then sure... you'd end up with fuglies.

After all, a sim created as an adult doesn't necessarily have any data for younger ages for facial geometry, so it has to pull the data from somewhere, such as the templates.

Isn't that why a replacement file that has ONLY the adult stage in it result in bizarre changes/reversions on elder stage?

If it helps, here is AmberDiceless's response to my comment and explanation.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=3804.msg212375#msg212375

SimulatedDork - if you want to keep the pets and trainer, just don't use the empty Pets neighbourhood template when you make your new hood.  Either that or do use it but don't use the no stray respawns hack. 

If you do the second, you will get new pets respawned as you play.  You don't have to worry about the trainer, as they are an NPC character (not a townie, downtownie or dormie) and the game will just spawn them as needed.  So as soon as you call one up, one will be generated - even with the no respawn hacks in.

Inteen for AL, yay!
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2007 April 06, 21:09:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do I create an empty P001_Neighborhood.package version of the file?
*please not something complicated, please not something compli...*
So if I were to create this *coughnotcomplicated* empty file and not use nostrayrespawn - I'd rid myself of the 2 mEAxis Pets families while retaining the ability to create the Animal Trainer NPC (when I generate him) and see strays?
Unrelated note: Can one adopt strays? You can tell I haven't been playing Pets for long, lol.
Related note: So I create my n'hood, create the districts (with the empty templates installed) and then do not need to use DAC because the empty templates will have covered that for me? And as for the mainland, I can just rename the "N001" to "N001-bak" to stop any townies being created?
Have I got it right yet? *desperate whine*

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: