More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 07:59:16

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  The more I learn, the more I realize what a noob I am...
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The more I learn, the more I realize what a noob I am...  (Read 40984 times)
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
Re: The more I learn, the more I realize what a noob I am...
« Reply #50 on: 2007 April 06, 21:21:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So... if one merely deleted the character files from the appropriate directories under program files, is this enough?  Or is there further work that needs to be done to avoid strangeness and future hood explosion?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007 April 06, 21:30:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a set of lots I got from MTS2, which combines two things I adore - very small lots and an urban city theme. I even aquired a copy of SimCity 4 (arr!) so I could make my own map with the streets very close together, to reflect the small size of my new lots. (The widest point between streets is 4 squares... so it could take one 4x4 lot which would take up the whole space, or a 1x1 and a 3x1.)
Whoa, whoa! Wait a minute! Where in the world did you get the ability to have 1x1 lots and can I have a piece of that? I would love 1x1's and 1x2s for an urban neighborhood! If it's possible, I absolutely must create a new custom neighborhood this weekend.

I generally make my own terrains in SC4 as well. If not for Sims2, SC4 would have left my shelf long ago.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2007 April 06, 21:35:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a Marylou production over at MTS2. Search it there. It is very spiffy on my spiffy scale, and I think I'm beginning to understand this whole "custom hood thing".

Ness ~ I doubt I can help you, after all, I was lost in the mist of confusion at the start of this topic, but what are you trying to acheive by deleting the files?

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007 April 06, 21:54:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't worry.  Doing some more reading, I think I have it figured out.  I was only part way towards doing the job I wanted, I have it under control now.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2007 April 06, 22:00:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do I create an empty P001_Neighborhood.package version of the file?
*please not something complicated, please not something compli...*
So if I were to create this *coughnotcomplicated* empty file and not use nostrayrespawn - I'd rid myself of the 2 mEAxis Pets families while retaining the ability to create the Animal Trainer NPC (when I generate him) and see strays?
Unrelated note: Can one adopt strays? You can tell I haven't been playing Pets for long, lol.
Related note: So I create my n'hood, create the districts (with the empty templates installed) and then do not need to use DAC because the empty templates will have covered that for me? And as for the mainland, I can just rename the "N001" to "N001-bak" to stop any townies being created?
Have I got it right yet? *desperate whine*

If I have this right, the empty P001 is what you download from the thread linked above, you don't have to do anything to create it since it's been created.
If you do that and don't use nostrayrespawn, the game will generate strays.
The empty neighborhood does not stop the animal trainer from being generated.
One can adopt strays by building up a very good relationship with them. I've done it all of once, it was a pain because you have to get the same animal to visit you a lot.
You don't need DAC with the empty templates, that's correct, but you do need to use the N001 empty template as your N001 (the old one being renamed will preserve it as a backup in case things go wrong).

INFP or something
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2007 April 06, 22:09:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So you don't need to renamed the folder to "N001-bak" if you use Sara's empty .package?

maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2007 April 06, 22:19:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seems about right to me kuronue.

Regarding transferring SC4 hoods over to TS2.  I've posted this information before but I'll post it again.

When you make your SC4 map, the spaces between roads transfer over like so:

No of Squares SC4             No of Squares TS2
no square (i.e. surrounded by roads)
                                       1x1
1x1                                  3x3
2x2                                  5x5
3x3                                  7x7
4x4                                  9x9
5x5                                  11x11

and so on

Note - only these things transfer:

Bridges - you can only use the first one
The only roads that transfer are the darker more expensive ones (roads not streets)
Trees - watch it, a single small tree in SC4 becomes 9 trees in a clump in TS2 

Also the map flips over so right (or east) becomes left (or west)

Inteen for AL, yay!
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007 April 06, 22:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I have this right, the empty P001 is what you download from the thread linked above, you don't have to do anything to create it since it's been created.
If you do that and don't use nostrayrespawn, the game will generate strays.
The empty neighborhood does not stop the animal trainer from being generated.
One can adopt strays by building up a very good relationship with them. I've done it all of once, it was a pain because you have to get the same animal to visit you a lot.
You don't need DAC with the empty templates, that's correct, but you do need to use the N001 empty template as your N001 (the old one being renamed will preserve it as a backup in case things go wrong).
Brilliant! I think I am starting to get the hang of this! The empty .package file is the file downloaded from Sara's site here. If I place this in my P001 folder, after deleting the character files that means:
- The Animal Trainer NPC will not be spawned until I trigger it in game (e.g phone him up).
- There will be no strays until my game generates them (nostrayrespawn removed, of course)
- No Pets townies that came with the game.
- And NO stupid Cyd Roseland + that bunch. Who the hell is Cyd Roseland supposed to be, anyway?
Did Pets townies come with the game?
« Last Edit: 2007 April 08, 15:22:16 by SimulatedDork » Logged

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2007 April 06, 22:41:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sounds right Dork.  Except I used all the empty templates and the nostrayrespawn and I did get some strays.  Just not as many as I would have otherwise. You might try that.

I don't remember if some townies came with Pets, but I would assume yet.  Every expansion seems to dump some townies into the pool, like a malediction.  I know that for some reason, for me,  the two premade families still appeared with the blank templates.  However I just deleted them.  I checked in SimsPE and there doesn't seem to be character files for them (while they are in the bin).

I have a set of lots I got from MTS2, which combines two things I adore - very small lots and an urban city theme. I even aquired a copy of SimCity 4 (arr!) so I could make my own map with the streets very close together, to reflect the small size of my new lots. (The widest point between streets is 4 squares... so it could take one 4x4 lot which would take up the whole space, or a 1x1 and a 3x1.) Soon I'll make a similar map for my own Downtown. I decided my shopping district would be more suburban, just in case I felt like playing a lot with a big backyard now and then.

Hey now! You're holding out on us.  Please share! (your terrain).  I've been meaning to do that.  I even <cough> acquired Sim City IV.  But I've been too lazy to do it.  So far I have one neighbourhood created, which is rural.  But I want to create my downtown with small lots so they fit Plasticbox excellent series of urban houses.  I'll move all my families there, except for a handful of farmer types.

maxon
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2007 April 06, 22:42:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did Pets townies come with the game?

Yes, the two dogs who were a couple and Cyd Roseland and his pooch.

Inteen for AL, yay!
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: 2007 April 06, 23:28:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't really consider them to be townies, but rather playables that the game forces into your sims bin.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2007 April 06, 23:34:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just followed SaraMKs directions to get rid of the Pets + Seasons playables (that maxis/ea forced on us) for good...

dragoness
Irritating Ignoramus

INTJ.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2007 April 06, 23:35:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Didn't mean to hold out on you!  Grin

The terrain needs some icons... give me a couple of minutes to throw them together so it's not ugly in the chooser menu and I'll upload it.

It's completely naked and completely flat, which makes it look rather ugly imo... BUT when you use the concrete ground cover, huge skyrise buildings you can toss in from the neighborhood decorations and maybe stick a little grass in outlying areas... it looks pretty good! You can at least really get an idea what it'll look like when filled wall-to-wall with lots.

Edit: Added the terrain and its icons to this post as a .rar file. The 1x1 and such, like someone said above, were done by marylou - you can find it on MTS2. The awesome, awesome urban-themed stuff is the "Backdoor Lane" set by plasticbox on MTS2, which for your convenience is here: http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?f=143&u=178282

* Urban Terrain.rar (594.48 KB - downloaded 180 times.)
« Last Edit: 2007 April 07, 00:42:58 by MoonDragoness » Logged
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2007 April 07, 01:51:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have SC4, so for my custom hoods I use these Efficiency Neighbourhoods from MTS2.

I don't need a camera mod to use them.  They are all flat, which is great for building.  They are undecorated so I can decorate them as I choose (my computer is a little handicapped in the graphics department, so I have chosen not to decorate them) .  And I was pleasantly surprised by the number of lots I could fit on them.  Haven't run out of room yet in any of the neighbourhoods I've used them in.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2007 April 07, 09:30:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, thanks for the tip, Kyna.  I've been looking for something like that.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2007 April 07, 13:29:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have SC4, so for my custom hoods I use these Efficiency Neighbourhoods from MTS2.

I don't need a camera mod to use them.  They are all flat, which is great for building.  They are undecorated so I can decorate them as I choose (my computer is a little handicapped in the graphics department, so I have chosen not to decorate them) .  And I was pleasantly surprised by the number of lots I could fit on them.  Haven't run out of room yet in any of the neighbourhoods I've used them in.

How many lots does Easytown fit, if you know? I love the effiency terrains but I am using Loverat's Itty Bitty series at the moment because it fufills my tropical needs! Mwah. I only build on 2x2, 3x1, 3x2 or 1x1/2/3 lots for my hood.

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2007 April 07, 14:14:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Moon.  THis is exactly what I needed.  I didn't want a fancy terrain with al sort of decorations and mountains and bridges all done to look like a giant heart.  I just wanted something simple with a smaller grid  that I can use for plasticbox's and ngengi urban houses
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2007 April 07, 15:51:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SimulatedDork, I use the Easytown one for downtown, rather than a residential area.  I don't have any residential lots in my downtown, it's all commercial and entertainment in my game.  There is plenty of room left over, even after putting in most of Wolfsim68's commercial lots in it.

I tend to use DinkORama for the main residential area of my neighbourhoods, occasionally using EasyEstates, EasyQuad or maybe DinkBlossom for a little variety.  I mainly use 2x3, 3x2 or 3x3 residential lots, which fit nicely in the DinkORama terrain.  There's not a great deal of wasted space.  Since you have said you use smaller lots, then the Easytown one would have a lot of wasted space in it that you'd have to fill with decorations.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2007 April 07, 16:33:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I HATE wasted space in my 'hoods - things have to fit together perfectly otherwise I'm not happy. It doesn't necessarily mean the houses are back to back and ontop of each other, but plain empty space (no decoration or anything) looks wasted and terrible. Especially for creating realistic downtowns, where the lots really are glued together.
I LOVE Wolfsim's work. Her lots litter my downtown and mainland because I refuse most other things (like a whiney toddler and a plate of vegetables.). Jade was a big fan of hers too. Her residential lots are just too kick-ass for words.
I also think that Starrling, Plasticbox and Kavkid all of MTS2 deserve a mention. Their lots are urban, come with little/no CC and perfect when planning with limited space!
I never thought I'd compare myself to the toddler-and-vegetables analogy.  Huh

maxon
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2007 April 07, 17:45:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't really consider them to be townies, but rather playables that the game forces into your sims bin.

You're right NVA - brain fart.  The only additional NPCs were the pet police and the pet trainers - plus the two families in the bin - and then the strays.  All will be squashed by the empty P001 template.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2007 April 07, 18:19:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SimulatedDork, I use the Easytown one for downtown, rather than a residential area.  I don't have any residential lots in my downtown, it's all commercial and entertainment in my game.  There is plenty of room left over, even after putting in most of Wolfsim68's commercial lots in it.

I tend to use DinkORama for the main residential area of my neighbourhoods, occasionally using EasyEstates, EasyQuad or maybe DinkBlossom for a little variety.  I mainly use 2x3, 3x2 or 3x3 residential lots, which fit nicely in the DinkORama terrain.  There's not a great deal of wasted space.  Since you have said you use smaller lots, then the Easytown one would have a lot of wasted space in it that you'd have to fill with decorations.
I'm using Easy Quad as my downtown (since I only use downtown for commercial lots...mostly entertainment) and DinkORama as university (love that name!). For my new neighborhood, I actually made a custom one. I'll attach for shares later, once I take a screenshot. IMHO, it only really looks good in lush or desert. It's a large set-up that needs GunMod's camera hack to work, but the streets are set up for smaller lots.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
dragoness
Irritating Ignoramus

INTJ.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2007 April 08, 01:19:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another noobish question...

Is there any way to separate lots in the lot bin? Maybe by putting them into collections or by rearranging them so that all of one sort is together, all of another is together, etc?

Because between the maxis lots, the downloaded lots, the empty 1x1 and 1x2 and so on lots, my custom residential lots, my custom community lots, my custom businesses... it's really getting rediculous. And I still have ALL the custom comm lots and the businesses to make for my new neighborhood. And they're all jumbled together with no rhyme or reason whatsoever. Sad
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: 2007 April 08, 07:21:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been wishing for this too. I would at least like to separate residential lots from commercial lots. It sucks that you can't tell what type of lot something is without clicking on it.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2007 April 08, 08:16:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I keep all the lots I want to keep in a store neighbourhood and only pick them up (and put them straight back down again) when I want them.  It's a bit long-winded though.  The little lots are permanently in the lot bin at the moment.  I use those a lot.

Inteen for AL, yay!
SimulatedDork
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2007 April 08, 15:23:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, the two dogs who were a couple and Cyd Roseland and his pooch.
One of the dogs was called Sarah, because mEAxis is infatuated with that name. Do you remember Sarah and Don? Or was that Sara? No, it was definatly Sarah.

How many 'hoods do you have? Once I finally clean my game up, I'll only have two.  And it's only becaues I'm holding onto the second one for general purposes (to test houses, keep CAS sims, to play out the storyline etc.)

The only additional NPCs were the pet police and the pet trainers - plus the two families in the bin - and then the strays.  All will be squashed by the empty P001 template.
What about people townies? Or were the strays the new townies? *notveryimpressedwithmEAxis*
« Last Edit: 2007 April 08, 15:29:40 by SimulatedDork » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: