More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 15:49:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Environment preference of the sims
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Environment preference of the sims  (Read 42267 times)
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
Re: Environment preference of the sims
« Reply #75 on: 2007 April 04, 03:33:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I make some of my families pretty tacky, like the country kitchen crap I remember from the 80's. And other houses are very modern, and others are kind of ghetto and eclectic.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2007 April 04, 04:02:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree. In fact, I completely ignore it altogether. I've pretty much "conditioned" my mind to ignore that need. My Sims get decorations based on what I like. If they don't "like" it, tough.

Exactly. If they aren't going to die from it, they can suck it up.

I've noticed that my Sims tend to have horrible taste anyway. If they actually like something, I get concerned.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: 2007 April 04, 05:39:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sometimes, for whatever reason, it depends on whether a room is attached to another room, or not. For instance, if you have a full wall with an actual door or arch separating the dining-room from the kitchen (this is just an example), rather than combining the areas, this will affect the environment score. Sometimes the score is better when the rooms are separated by a door or arch; other times the score improves when the two rooms are combined into one. I haven't yet figured out what, exactly, determines the improved environment score when either separating or attaching different rooms. Sometimes an expensive refrigerator in the kitchen will improve the environment score of the dining area once the rooms are combined - other times, the environment scores plummet for both rooms when they are combined into one (yet the scores improve drastically as soon as you physically separate the rooms with a full wall containing a door/arch). There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to this. *scratches head*

I only mention this, because I tend to like open floorplans, but sometimes the sims just hate having their living, dining, and kitchen areas combined into one. Other times, the sims hate having these areas sectioned off, and the environment scores only improve once you've removed the walls and combined the areas into one. It's very puzzling.

ETA: It probably depends on the relative expense of the items. If you have cheap stuff in all of the rooms, then each room by itself will not have a good environment score, but when combined, the sheer number of items in the now-combined area raises the overall score. This is just a guess.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2007 April 04, 06:26:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

NVA, are you taking into account room size?  In TS1 the sims preferred big rooms, the bigger the better.  In TS2 they prefer smaller rooms.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Tamha
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2007 April 04, 06:34:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But in TS1 rooms had to be huge if you wanted to fit more than 2 item in them, lol! I much prefer the sizing and placement of objects in TS2.

A mean person laughs with you because they don't really mean it. A really mean person just laughs at you.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: 2007 April 04, 07:40:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm, now that I think about it, the ginormous rooms *are* the ones that my sims seem to hate the most. They don't mind a cosy eat-in kitchen, but seem to hate a huge diningroom attached to a large-ish kitchen. Blimey, you learn something new every day!

Tamha, I agree with you about the better sizing and placement in TS2 compared to the original game. It's much more realistic.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2007 April 04, 08:16:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FWIW, from gamefaqs.com:

"Environment: A surprisingly unpredictable motive that is based on the area
that the sim is in at any given time, not just the room as a whole. Although
difficult, it is possible to get perfect environment, all you need are
expensive wall coverings and tiles, lots of light and for the room not to be
a hive of scum and villainy filled with puddles, dirty dishes or other signs
of filth. Usually, the most forgotten factor is light, sometimes, you have to
double up lights or make sure that they are on during the day time if your
house is lacking windows. Environment is rated on several different factors
that have maximums and are generalized, so stuffing your room full of
expensive art can only do so much to counter the smell of rotten meat and bad
interior design.

Outside, environment is a whole different ball game, but typically, the best
ways to boost it are trees. Trees don't require maintenance while an
overgrown shrub or rotten patch of flowers can damage environment more than
help it. Environment is probably the least important factor in the game, but
it is the only one that once you have established well, you can count on to
be consistent, so getting the favorite room in your house perfect can be a
lot of fun and help to make your sims happy and content while in it. In
university, you'll be decorating your dorm room and building a legacy worthy
Greek House, so keeping environment in mind is always the right idea."

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2007 April 04, 18:12:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh. To Gali: please study the Scientific Method. You know that thing they pounded into your head every year in school? It needs another pounding.

As for environment scores, I find that as long as the floor and wall coverings are at least 2$ per block each and I have a couple "decent" (read: more than $100 in cost) items and 2-3 windows, it's a solid green. I honestly almost never bother with lights. They just aren't necessary and they interfere with my viewing. For bathrooms, the cheapest shower, cheapest toilet, and 1 light makes them do the happy-home dance.

But then, I hate huge homes, huge rooms, and huge lots. My old laptop couldn't handle them when I started playing and even though my desktop can run with everything maxed and huge lots with more than the Maxis limits of sims, I still prefer them small. My Legacy lot is a 4x4 with 8 sims, 3 dogs, and a home ticket business and I regret not going smaller.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2007 April 04, 20:53:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also hate large rooms because it slows the game down. I hate empty rooms and add a lot of clutter, which slows it down even more. So I just go for a small lot and keep it as simple and small as possible. Nobody gets stuck because I'm a micromanager.

As for separating rooms, I think it might have to do with the number of rooms. In sims 1, the game kept track of number of rooms and bathrooms. And all sims wanted them large and aplenty. Maybe it's the same?
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2007 April 04, 21:37:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I honestly almost never bother with lights. They just aren't necessary and they interfere with my viewing.
And it doesn't get dark on you at night or too dark/shadowy (even during the day) to take good pics? I don't put lights in for my sims, I put them in for me and turn them to always on too. I usually use those bitty microceiling ones that don't get in the way so much. But then I like lots of light in my real house too, so I suppose it's just that 'it's too dark to read' thing kicking in.

Unsouper
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2007 April 04, 21:45:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I honestly almost never bother with lights. They just aren't necessary and they interfere with my viewing.
And it doesn't get dark on you at night or too dark/shadowy (even during the day) to take good pics? I don't put lights in for my sims, I put them in for me and turn them to always on too. I usually use those bitty microceiling ones that don't get in the way so much. But then I like lots of light in my real house too, so I suppose it's just that 'it's too dark to read' thing kicking in.
Hehe, the microlight is usually my rule-breaker light in the bathroom. As for too dark-shadowy for pictures...nope. The game will still light the room when a sim comes into it, just not at the same level. There are more shadows at night, but I think that's realistic. Regardless, it's not the same being in a room with no lights at night and outside with no lights.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2007 April 04, 22:05:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh. To Gali: please study the Scientific Method. You know that thing they pounded into your head every year in school? It needs another pounding.

Gali didn't go to school in the States, so it's possible she missed that. Or maybe she was just busy thinking about makeup and complicated hairdos.

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2007 April 04, 22:37:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh. To Zazazu: please change first your diapers, and then talk to me, zeroed noob, you just stink!

Ass - mitten: I know you hate me; it's OK - I hate you too! So Kish my Tuches! You ass hole!

Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2007 April 04, 22:39:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh, I was just kidding. It was a reference to the way you do up your Sims.

And I don't hate you. I ignore the people I hate. But thanks for sharing how you feel, and I admire your spunk.

neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2007 April 05, 00:36:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh. To Zazazu: please change first your diapers, and then talk to me, zeroed noob, you just stink!

Ass - mitten: I know you hate me; it's OK - I hate you too! So Kish my Tuches! You ass hole!

As usual, gali is the undisputed queen of weird insults.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2007 April 05, 00:43:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I don't think I've ever been called an "ass hole." It seems more specific somehow.

Hitch
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2007 April 05, 00:47:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shouldn't that be "Kish mir en tuches?"

just sayin'...  Roll Eyes
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2007 April 05, 03:52:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone else been confused lately as to whether they have accidentally wandered into Retardoland instead of the Podium?  There must be a leak somewhere. Tongue
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2007 April 05, 04:06:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I don't think I've ever been called an "ass hole." It seems more specific somehow.
Never heard "zeroed noob" either, myself. The diapers comment is especially hilarious since my one friend always teases that I'm going through menopause (late twenties here). I'll have to let her know that.

Anyways, I thought the Scientific Method was a universal, not USA-centric? Logic most certainly is a universal, and Gali's experiments are lacking. Sorry kiddo, you had a good idea, but even if there was any way for the game to read the color codes of objects/customs you missed the most important part of proving your point: CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT.

I'd tell you not to take things so personally, but your insults make me giggle.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2007 April 05, 04:23:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*looks at relative post count... notices both users' ages are listed as "N/A"... wonders where terms like "kiddo" are coming from  Shocked Roll Eyes*

INFP or something
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2007 April 05, 05:26:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tongue I'm 28, I neglected to fill that out. Kiddo is actually a teasing term of endearment for me. I use it regardless of relative age.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2007 April 05, 06:31:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's little outbursts like this that make it so hard for you to get people to believe your "I'm really so nice and polite" arguments.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2007 April 05, 06:55:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gali, you've certainly come a long way from the smiley deluge.  Roll Eyes

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print