More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 01:49:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Poll: How do you feel about accidental deaths in the Sims 2?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: By age grouping, please choose what comes closest to your feelings about accidental deaths in the Sims 2
teen to 35   no change
teen to 35  option to turn off deaths
teen to 35  increase deaths
35 to 55  no change
35 to 55  option to turn off deaths
35 to 55  increase deaths
55 and over  no change
55 and over option to turn off deaths
55 and over  increase deaths
all ages  meh -- who cares

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Poll: How do you feel about accidental deaths in the Sims 2?  (Read 50810 times)
MyPrecious
Blathering Buffoon

"And we don't want any of that nonsense, do we?"

View Profile
Re: Poll: How do you feel about accidental deaths in the Sims 2?
« Reply #75 on: 2007 March 31, 09:05:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Safe fireplaces exist, as this is a frequently-cited Annoyance. I have some, but it has been a while since I built a house, so I'll have to hunt them down in-game next time I play and cross my fingers that the creator labeled them so I can tell you where to get them.

Or, hmm, maybe SimCat will help. I think I bunged them into a Fireplaces folder at one point, but it may not have survived my last 'puter poop out.

Thank you that would be great! Grin

A definition of loafing is; when you can't be bothered to open the curtains so you click the Glastonbury festival web cam to check the weather…

O môr henion i dhû:
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2007 March 31, 22:29:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Safe fireplaces exist, as this is a frequently-cited Annoyance. I have some, but it has been a while since I built a house, so I'll have to hunt them down in-game next time I play and cross my fingers that the creator labeled them so I can tell you where to get them.

Or, hmm, maybe SimCat will help. I think I bunged them into a Fireplaces folder at one point, but it may not have survived my last 'puter poop out.

There's Carrigon's Forever Burn Fireplace hack.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2007 April 01, 06:10:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I posted about wanting a plague forever ago, yeah, I'd definitely love to have more non-me-induced deaths in my 'hood. I do have a storyline going but I also like to see what happens with the Sims themselves, and that also affects what happens in the storyline. (I.e. one of the villains keeping someone's wife in the attic because he wouldn't stop rolling wants to interact with her... *whistle*) But, yeah, I've had a few choking deaths that were pled back, and one death by disease at a party because I got sick of trying to quarantine one of the diseases going around and just let them stay sick as visitors. That's about it, blah.

I'd love to see Sims dying in childbirth as they pop one out on the kitchen floor (maybe then I'd have a playable finally in the adoption pool!) and I'd love to see elders have heart attacks and Romance Sims get VD and random car crashes, etc etc etc. Of course, a lot of people don't want this stuff at all, which is why hacks are so great Tongue But I'm a writer at heart and I love the game because it allows me to have my own story with plot twists that can surprise me, with things that I didn't plan from start to finish *grin*
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2007 April 03, 01:08:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I humbly decline to vote as teen-35 is not a valid age group. The differences between an 18 year old and a 35 year old can't be quantified. Heck, I'm 28 and the ickle highschoolers might as well be aliens.

As such, I've got to go with the "what accidental deaths?" crowd. The only accidental ones are townie ones, in the hottub. Everything else is easily preventable. Sheesh, I wish death in the real world was as easily preventable. Just put a sprinkler by the fireplace and hire a repairman and you're good.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2007 April 03, 01:53:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you that would be great! Grin

I looked, and the files were completely unhelpful.

The names: ASCDarkBrickFireplace
ASCDarkStoneFireplace
ASCFireBrickFirePlace
ASCLightFieldstoneFireplace
ASCRoseFieldStoneFireplace
ASCTanStoneFireplace
ASCWhiteStoneFireplace
AXSFieldstoneFireplace

Perhaps someone will recognize them? If not, the Carrigon hack works, and you don't have to play Hunt the Fireplace in-game.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
The~Simmer
Corpulent Cretin

Never underestimate the power of the Schwartz!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2007 April 03, 02:24:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had an accidental death just recently.  I had a sim who just graduated college, she was having a party, she invited her friends, and as she lit the Creme Brulée she then caught fire.  Everyone surrounded her and did the fire dance not helping her at all.  Through the whole thing my husband and I was laughing out butts off.
« Last Edit: 2007 April 03, 21:11:25 by The~Simmer » Logged
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2007 April 03, 02:39:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Many, many moons ago, I had a teen autonomously try to repair the computer, get electrocuted, and die.

I had somebody in the family plead, and he made it.

Had I known this was going to be the only accidental death I was ever going to see, or that this man would one day father a bunch of ugly children with Lillith Pleasant, I wouldn't have had anyone plead.

Well, I got the mysterious choking death a few times too, but that was a bug, not an accident.

Edit: Wait. I just remembered another one. My very favorite sim ever once stopped by to visit her brother, and I decided to have him "Paint Portrait" of her. She was first trimester pregnant, and collapsed and died, I assume of hunger, after standing there so long. Her brother plead and she lived though. That one I do not regret because I loved her so. This was probably back in the base game.

Oh and despite me possibly sounding somewhat gypped and bored, I still voted "meh, who cares?"
« Last Edit: 2007 April 03, 02:50:31 by buddha pest » Logged
Tamha
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2007 April 03, 03:32:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could someone actually share (or post a link to) the older more deadlier scissors? I never downloaded them before because I didn't realize what they were when I saw them at first.

A mean person laughs with you because they don't really mean it. A really mean person just laughs at you.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2007 April 03, 05:33:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh. I can't get my scissors to work. They do a little jumpy-poo and the things disappear.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2007 April 03, 05:38:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with the older, deadlier scissors is that they auto-delete themselves in a game version of OFB or higher. The main reason EA updated them is so they would work in OFB, and since people had been complaining, they decided to make them less deadly as well. But, theoretically, couldn't you change the "deadliness" value of the new scissors to that of the old scissors, if you could figure out what this value was for the old scissors?

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Khan of Wyrms
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2007 April 03, 07:01:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to agree with many here in that accidental death seems very rare indeed, and even intentional death can be very difficult to accomplish sometimes.  Even still, with a certain reward object, death is only a bin where sims go to await revival, so what harm is done?  I could not answer the poll because I could handle more accidental death but only if the means were not completely bogus.  Considering MaxisEA's track record I don't believe this is possible.  So if an answer like, "Yes, no, maybe?" could be added then perhaps I could cast a vote.

In all I have to say that death is handled reasonably well compared to other issues.  For myself, having a sim possibly die in flames is a small consideration compared to the annoyance of having one hardly able to look at a stove without it bursting into flame, regardless of cooking skill.  Or how about having one dash from the sidewalk to the back corner of a large community lot just so she could slap the bejeezus out of some dude who flirted with her once?  Or what about the joker who just polished off a cup of joe standing right next to a dishwasher and a sink, yet for some reason he finds it necessary to march to the other side of the house, down two flights of stairs, just so he can put the empty 'coffee' cup on a 'coffee' table?  And what of this gem, because their fun meter is basically maxed it seems like a good idea to turn the TV on and off repeatedly until it explodes?

Death in TS2...no, it doesn't bother me much...sometimes they deserve no less.     

If there is one thing we learn from history it is that no one learns anything from history.
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2007 April 06, 17:49:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't stand accidental deaths--especially when I was a noob and didn't know about InSIM or Sim PE.  It was rare in my game--one family when I was a noob and didn't know you had to have a fire alarm by the fireplace-- one Uni townie got stuck to the pinball machine (error in machine)  I thought everyone had gone home(had to force error on the Sim that was asked to join before he was the next victim.  But Season's is the worst for accidental deaths.  I had a Sim at the Crypt night club catching up on friends and I forgot that I had put a couple hot tubs on the patio-- well,  I had a headache and had the sound off--I went to the back of the building to find a Sim that needed to talk to my Sim and Grimmy was there--I summoned a close friend over to plead and he won but upon further inspection, I found 4 other graves there.  Wow, can't play with the sound off--I guess.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2007 April 06, 18:07:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You need to get Pescado's warmth fix mod from here (http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=7708.0) to keep sims from spontaneously combusting while in the hot tub.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2007 April 06, 18:21:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually the age range I want more random deaths for is teens to elder. But given the choices at hand I chose teen to 35.

I would like to have an increase in accidental deaths that were not caused by me. If they could autonomously go look at clouds or stars, for instance; Actually there are a lot of ways that sims can die accidentally... but they don't usually do those things autonomously.

I still want a plague that has  a random chance of turning into an incurable pneumonia no matter how hard you baby the afflicted sim.

I also want a reasonably simple way of killing specific townies without having to spend a month waiting for them to die of starvation in a box.

More random dying!

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2007 April 06, 18:28:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You need to get Pescado's warmth fix mod from here (http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=7708.0) to keep sims from spontaneously combusting while in the hot tub.
I have that but the deaths were from lightning.  They stay in that tub so long that if they get hit by lightning--they will die.  Later, I put a covering over the tub so it won't happen again.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2007 April 06, 18:29:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also want a reasonably simple way of killing specific townies without having to spend a month waiting for them to die of starvation in a box.

Guess you haven't checked out the new 'Smite' option on the Lot Debugger... Smiley

have that but the deaths were from lightning.  They stay in that tub so long that if they get hit by lightning--they will die.  Later, I put a covering over the tub so it won't happen again.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh -- yea, I didn't think of that.  Haven't had any sims randomly hit by lightning yet, since I changed my main hoods to start off in winter first. I'll have to keep that in mind as spring rolls around.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2007 April 06, 20:47:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually the age range I want more random deaths for is teens to elder. But given the choices at hand I chose teen to 35.

I would like to have an increase in accidental deaths that were not caused by me. If they could autonomously go look at clouds or stars, for instance; Actually there are a lot of ways that sims can die accidentally... but they don't usually do those things autonomously.

I still want a plague that has  a random chance of turning into an incurable pneumonia no matter how hard you baby the afflicted sim.

More random dying!

Wait, wait...

are the age ranges supposed to be sim ages of sims you want to die more, or simmer ages (as in, trying to prove the point that younger people like random death more, as was brought up in the other thread)?

INFP or something
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2007 April 06, 21:00:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I read it as simmer ages since the argument that spawned the poll was about 'older, more life-experienced' people getting upset by all the callous discussion of killing off sims but let's not start that again.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2007 April 06, 21:46:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the conversations pretty much show what simmers think.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2007 April 06, 21:56:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the conversations pretty much show what simmers think.

about the age thing? If that's referring to me, you'll have to spell it out for Stupid Kuronues to understand.

Though if you're saying in general about the poll, yeah, it's pretty clear

INFP or something
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2007 April 06, 22:01:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Though if you're saying in general about the poll, yeah, it's pretty clear

Yeah.  Smiley

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: 2007 April 07, 00:00:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In theory, I like the idea of more deaths, but not so much the freaky accidental deaths, because more types of 'normal' death would make the game more realistic, IMO. In practise, however, the sim-deaths kind of throw me for a loop. Even when I know that a sim is old and about to keel over, it somehow always takes me by surprise and makes me a little bit sad, especially if it's a sim that I created and have gotten attached to. On the other hand, when I'm playing Brandi Broke as a black widow, or killing off random sims in order to populate the graveyard, so that my knowledge sims can actually fulfill their 'see a ghost' want, I don't feel too bad about it, because a) it was planned, and b) I didn't get very attached to him/her/them, since c) see examples a and b. Tongue

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Shivani
Dimwitted Dunce

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2007 April 07, 06:33:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Having seen my very first Death by Lightning this evening, I can say things are just spiffy on the ratio.  Heck, the first girl got zapped in the hot tub, got out, and got nailed a second time, then died.  Yahoo!

The other dormie got nailed in the tub, got out, and promptly wet herself.
rosenshyne
Dimwitted Dunce

I/ENFJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: 2007 April 07, 16:15:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The very first time I fired up Sims 2 I killed my first sim. She starved to death. No accidental deaths since then, though. When my neighborhoods get big I do a dice roll, too. And when I used to run a medieval neighborhood I would roll after birth to see if the mother lived, and if someone got sick I roll for that sim, and every sim they came into contact with before I got them into bed. As for instant death, I just InSIM them.

Marquis
mistymage
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: 2007 April 07, 17:41:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tend to restart my game so often that accidental deaths seldom get to happen.  I also don't get too attached to my sims so I have induced just about every death at least once.  I used the zombie apocalypse in conjunction with a working gun recently and offed many sims... then started a new 'hood.

But back when I played one hood and actually had several house and families going I used the Flamingo of Doom http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=35518 and had a blast with it.  I wish it would get updated and have it be autonomous with maybe a chance of something nice happening too.

For reference I'm 37 but most of the deaths that have affected me IRL occurred when I was young.. starting with my father dying when I was 7.

Gnohmon's sims 1 objects
"It's like that hobbit/dragon thing. You cut off one head and.. it's an exercise in futility." -Andy, Dawn of the dead remake, 2004 = trolls on MATY
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: