More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 30, 02:21:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Changing Drives
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Changing Drives  (Read 3798 times)
rome_raven
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Changing Drives
« on: 2007 March 28, 05:02:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been looking for ways to do this every since I got a new hard-drive.  Anyone know how or could show me where I can get information regarding moving the "my dociments" folder off of C: drive and onto another drive, and still have my game recognize where it and fully function?

ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Changing Drives
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 28, 05:44:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just had to do this a couple weeks ago, when I got my new system. I installed Sims on this new computer and then copy the old content folder (z:\my documents\ea games\the sims 2) into the new folder (d:\my documents folder\ea games\the sims 2).  Course in a few weeks I'll have to do this all over again when I get a better hard drive.
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 28, 05:54:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know how well this will work, since I never tried it, but here's something you can attempt:

In the "My Documents" Properties, (right click and choose "Properties" in the My Documents folder) there should be a tab open that says "Target." Select "Move," and create or select a folder which you want to be the new My Documents.
rome_raven
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 28, 23:49:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I managed to move the "My Documents" folder but now Bodyshop will no longer open.  Do I have to move the rest of the game files over to the new drive as well?  And if so, do I just do the same right click-move thing?

Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 29, 00:03:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm, this is where my expertise fails. My only advice is to uninstall and reinstall the game onto the new hard drive. Perhaps someone else has better advice. Like I said, I never done this before.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 29, 00:48:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=7120.0 - Venusy posted a thread quite a bit ago about moving the main install on a portable drive, in the end it ended up being a frankenbuild of sorts.

(My) Documents is a special folder in Windows, chances are it'll remake it if you don't tell it where you moved it.  Right click on "My Documents" in the Start Menu and right click properties.  Then click the Target(or Location) tab and then "Move..." if you haven't done so already but if you already have then click "Find Target..." and point it to where you put the folder.  I don't know if TS2 will adapt to this location, but it'll fix it for the rest of Windows.
rome_raven
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 29, 01:14:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did that for the mydocuments folder and everthing else Windows follows it so that's fine so far buy BodyShop opens and then freezes for like 20 minutes and then I just force it to close because it isn't doing anything...guess I'll just have to put everything back to how it was.

Thanks for the help anyways.

Weaver
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 29, 13:50:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried deleting Groups.cache from the EA Games/The Sims 2 folder?
I usually move My Documents to a seperate hard drive soon after a clean install of Windows.
gjam
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 29, 14:36:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aha!  I knew I had seen instructions on how to change the location of My Documents, and I finally remembered where. http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=53400

What I wish for, and haven't seen, is a way to take the EA Games folder out of My Documents, so My Documents would only be used for stuff like, yanno, my documents.  It would make it a whole lot easier when I want to backup everything except Sims.

Now playing: UNI, NL, OFB, & Pets
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: