More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 19, 04:56:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6510 Members
Latest Member: TGTams
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  Questions in prep for Death By Freewill Challenge
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Questions in prep for Death By Freewill Challenge  (Read 29503 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Questions in prep for Death By Freewill Challenge
« Reply #25 on: 2007 March 30, 21:36:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And also whether actually playing the game at all is allowed, and merely the DEATH has to occur under free will, or whether this is a screensaver and not really playable at all.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 March 30, 23:33:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How about a points system for avoiding Buy and/or Build mode? For example: Buy mode costs you 1 point each time you buy or sell an item and Build costs you 2 points.

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 March 31, 01:55:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd rank rare deaths higher, and easy deaths lower. You could murderate Sims by fire, drowning and starvation quite quickly simply by having some Sim idiot attempt to cook something, removing the fridge after successful SimBBQ, and sending idiot #2 out to swim in a ladderfree pool while idiot #3 does something equally lethal while waiting to not eat unto ded-ness. The true challenge would be preventing other lot resident idiots from dying the same way.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
jdanddpt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 April 01, 03:21:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, my earlier post obviously isn't the final, official rules... it's just my thoughts on a scoring system.  To answer your questions:

As JMP put it, this is a screensaver.  You can't interfere at all, and you can't use Buy/Build Mode.  You build the lot, move in the family, hire NPCs (if you want), enable Freewill, hit triple-speed, let 'em loose, and take bets on who dies first.  It's a spectator sport!

To put it in perspective... This is fundamentally different from other challenges.  For one thing, this is a lot design challenge - not a gameplay challenge.  Second, you're deliberately designing a house of various deaths.  It's not about keeping your Sims alive and comfortable... it's about setting them up to die.  Depending on how "successful" you are, the challenge may end quickly.

For example... one of my favorite (and most "successful") testing lots, so far, has no chairs, couches, or beds on it.  But it has a couple telescopes.  In combination, this worked as an effective Death-by-Disease Trap.  In fact, too effective.

As Lorelei put it, the true challenge is preventing other lot resident idiots from dying the same way.  So, yes, you want to design a Death-by-Fire Trap, but you want to design it in such a way that it hopefully only snares & kills one Sim and then becomes "spent", so it can't kill anyone else.  Same goes for your Death-by-Drowning Trap.  It's a strange way to think about lot design.

The only easy one is the Cow Plant.  You can place a buyable Cow Plant during lot design.  That's basically a freebie, because it's guaranteed to kill 1 and only 1 Sim.  Every other death requires some thought (and luck) to limit the carnage to only 1 Sim.

(and no, you are not allowed to Lock doors... that makes it way too easy)
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 April 01, 05:10:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it was mentioned in another thread, that the cowplant will be a garaunteed zero deaths. Residents won't grab the cake by themselves; only visitors will grab it.

ETA: Found it.
« Last Edit: 2007 April 01, 05:20:50 by kutto » Logged
jdanddpt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 April 01, 06:27:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it was mentioned in another thread, that the cowplant will be a garaunteed zero deaths. Residents won't grab the cake by themselves; only visitors will grab it.

ETA: Found it.

Ahhh, thanks for that.  I don't have the buyable rewards, so all my Cow Plant experience is from lots that I play normally.  I assumed since my other Cows ate a few Nannies that they'd eat Freewill residents, too.  Good to know, thanks!
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 April 01, 19:23:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a hack here that will let playables grab the cake: http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=30397

Fail.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 April 01, 19:59:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or use it for an NPC death

INFP or something
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 April 13, 18:28:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

+5 Points if a Sim is Scared to Death by a Sim that was Scared to Death
From what I have experienced in my various asylum challenge attempts, I'd give only 1 point for that - I've had one "scared to death" ghost finish off three other sims in one single night once.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Twibil
Blathering Buffoon

I open at the close.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2007 April 15, 18:25:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What am I missing?  I never downloaded the Scissors.  Can Sims use them autonomously? 

They are not autonomous as downloaded. However, I went into SimPe and made mine autonomous with extra attraction to playful Sims. I would have liked to have given the extra attraction to stupid Sims, but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Anyway, I've tried out the autonomous version of the scissors and they are working fine in my game.

Do you or anyone else have an autonomous vesion of the scissors you are willing to share?  I have checked most of the usual places for such a thing and was unable to find one.  (Of course I could be looking in the wrong places.)  I would really like to add this to my game.  I have already downloaded the Cowplant mod and am having great fun with it.  Any help or directions on where to find such a thing would be greatly appreciated and I will share cookies.

"The rumors that Peter Pan was a fairy are completely unsubstantiated; Not that there's anything wrong with that." - Pascal Curious

www.curiousstate.com
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 April 15, 22:13:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you or anyone else have an autonomous vesion of the scissors you are willing to share? 

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=8102

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
Twibil
Blathering Buffoon

I open at the close.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 2007 April 16, 03:16:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you or anyone else have an autonomous vesion of the scissors you are willing to share? 

I am usually pretty good at finding stuff on my own (The search button is my friend  Wink   )  No matter what combo of words I used on any of the sites I checked came up empty.

Thanks so much for posting these, I cannot wait to try them out.  I will certainly let you know if there are ant side effects of *child* deaths.

****grins evilly****

ETA the cookies I promised

ETA again

I have tried repeatedly do dl from the links you provided and I keep gettig errors when extracting them

!   C:\Documents and Settings\Elizabeth Benchoff\Desktop\sharebigfile.com_RunWithScissorsChild.rar: CRC failed in RunWithScissorsChild.package. The file is corrupt
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Elizabeth Benchoff\Desktop\sharebigfile.com_RunWithScissorsChild.rar: Unexpected end of archive
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Elizabeth Benchoff\Desktop\sharebigfile.com_RunWithScissors.rar: No files to extract

I am using WINRAR, should I try extracting with some other utility>

« Last Edit: 2007 April 16, 05:01:35 by BetsyJayne » Logged

"The rumors that Peter Pan was a fairy are completely unsubstantiated; Not that there's anything wrong with that." - Pascal Curious

www.curiousstate.com
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 April 16, 18:51:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am usually pretty good at finding stuff on my own (The search button is my friend  Wink   )  No matter what combo of words I used on any of the sites I checked came up empty.

I just put the link up yesterday, after you asked.

I don't want to hijack this thread. Rather use this link to ask questions about the scissors:

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: