More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 08:39:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  The scarecrow
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The scarecrow  (Read 43435 times)
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
Re: The scarecrow
« Reply #50 on: 2007 March 28, 00:13:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IMHO, the first flaming in this topic was this comment:

"For those of you who want more accidental death in your game ... (insert real life experiences of mortality and illness here) ... then tell me how much fun it is to watch death in a game that is supposed to be played for fun and relaxation."

The implication being that there is something wrong with those of us who have had many similar experiences, yet still find accidental deaths in the game to be fun.  The other implication being that if we find death in the game fun then we are inexperienced and don't know that "death isn't fun" in real life.  These remarks were offensive and insulting to those of us who are long past 20-something and who have experienced normal life events.

The flaming wasn't personal, it was directed at all of us who want more accidental death rather than flaming a single individual.  I acknowledge that it is highly likely that Amjoie didn't realise how insulting her remarks sounded, and probably didn't intend to be offensive.  But if she hadn't made those remarks, then I doubt this thread would have degenerated to where it is now.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007 March 28, 00:15:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can talk about what she said without attacking her for it.
I did.

How about this though?

I am fifty this year and don't need pixellated excitement to validate my existence

I don't see any evidence of her depending on Sims for her happiness. I think she already explained her train of thought, and I think she's handling it fine. Sure, I am willing to admit, some of the deaths she ranted about could've been avoided with watching over her Sims more. With the whole RL rant, she is just explaining why she didn't like seeing death, not that Sim deaths cause her a mental breakdown.

EDIT: Yes, she didn't word that sentence about RL issues all that well, but didn't she explain that she didn't mean any offense by it?
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2007 March 28, 00:17:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Diala, Witch was referencing a flame thrown by Amjoie.  It was Amjoie who accused others of validating their existence through the game.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007 March 28, 00:17:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK Kyna, you beat me to it, but you said it better, so that's good.

Yes, that's entirely right, I was offended at the implication that I was a young idiot who knew no better than to enjoy sims' deaths because I hadn't much real life experience.

ETA: amjoie:
Not all of the MaxisEA target audience is +/- twenty-something looking for any kind of excitement to validate their existence. Not all of us think death is a kick. Some of us have lived long enough to know from experience how short life can be, and know that death isn't fun when it causes the deepest and longest lasting pain a human can feel.

ETA2:
EDIT: Yes, she didn't word that sentence about RL issues all that well, but didn't she explain that she didn't mean any offense by it?

Yeah, she tried to slide out of that gaffe by attributing the goals to Maxis but was not successful for those who read her original words.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Nailati
Jailbird
Retarded Reprobate

brainless piece of sack of fruitcakes

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2007 March 28, 00:20:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What animated snowman?  The snowman in Seasons is animated?  Ive never seen it! Nor the scarecrow but ive never used one of those yet, however i had my sims out building snowmen every day of winter. 

Ps Nailati, i really like your new avatar a helleva lot better than your old one  Cheesy

Yeah, old Tereza was getting a bit hard on the eyes. Now you can imagine all my posts being spoken in the Dr. Girlfriend voice. It's fun.

On-topic: Dammit, I want disturbing animated snowmen and scarecrows. Aspyr needs to hurry up with that shit.

With my frock coat and cane I look rather dashing / And my dapper burnsides make me truly look smashing / I keep an eye peeled to see urchins for thrashing / Then I say to them "Good day, sir!" as an epic tongue-lashing. - notovny

Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2007 March 28, 00:22:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It was Amjoie who accused others of validating their existence through the game.

After re-reading the post in question, I can see how people can be offended, but like I said in the last post that I edited, didn't she say she meant NO offense from it? The whole issue cleared up for me then.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2007 March 28, 00:24:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It was Amjoie who accused others of validating their existence through the game.

After re-reading the post in question, I can see how people can be offended, but like I said in the last post that I edited, didn't she say she meant NO offense from it? The whole issue cleared up for me then.

Lucky for you, not sufficient for others.

Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007 March 28, 00:26:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Im not entirely sure how you could make a comment like that *without* meaning offence.  Its a extremely offensive comment!  Just because you add "No Offence" after a statement doesn't make it better.

For example, Diala you're fat and ugly.  No offence.

See i bet you'd still get offended.   Tongue

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2007 March 28, 00:31:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For example, Diala you're fat and ugly.  No offence.

See i bet you'd still get offended.   Tongue

No, I just laughed.

So, basically all you want is an apology for that comment? Because I don't see what else she can do for you. I just interpreted it as a poorly written statement, not something she meant genuine hatred in writing.
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2007 March 28, 00:33:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. My point is, just because your adding no offense at the end of a statement doesn't mean you don't mean offense. 

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

Nailati
Jailbird
Retarded Reprobate

brainless piece of sack of fruitcakes

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2007 March 28, 00:38:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey guys, look! Floorbunnies!

With my frock coat and cane I look rather dashing / And my dapper burnsides make me truly look smashing / I keep an eye peeled to see urchins for thrashing / Then I say to them "Good day, sir!" as an epic tongue-lashing. - notovny

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2007 March 28, 00:39:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, my point is that you can't come into a forum, start throwing flames around, then make remarks like "I don't care for flaming, or forum fighting. Please stay on topic and don't get personal. Thank you." when people respond.

Well, you can ... if you want a flame war.

amjoie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2007 March 28, 00:41:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I had no intention to offend, nor was it designed to be a flame. I did explain that ....

I have rather enjoyed everyone talking about me like I'm not here, though.

Besides, what is all this bellyaching about offense. I thought you all agreed this forum was for flaming and fighting. Such thin skin for a forum where flaming is supposed to be the norm. LOL

And that last statement was the kind of ironic "good-spirited" mean teasing the forum is noted for ....  Tongue

For every King, there is a Queen ....
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2007 March 28, 00:42:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. My point is, just because your adding no offense at the end of a statement doesn't mean you don't mean offense. 

But I doubt she meant offense, as this post lead me to believe.

There seems to be no point in arguing over this, though.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2007 March 28, 00:45:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've rather enjoyed refreshing the page and noticing that you're watching the topic, and speculating as to why you might not be posting.  But my speculations regarding your behaviour will remain private.

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2007 March 28, 00:46:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tigerlilley and Naillati: The creepy animated snowman may be from the Holiday SP, which was bundled in with the base game when I bought it this January. You have to assemble the four segments in buy mode: base, middle, head, hat. In game, clicking on it gives the option for animation. It's definitely pre-Seasons, however.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2007 March 28, 00:49:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've rather enjoyed refreshing the page and noticing that you're watching the topic, and speculating as to why you might not be posting.  But my speculations regarding your behaviour will remain private.

I tipped that comment from amjoie for a response too. My speculations tend to scream, 'attention whore', which I'll choose to share publicly.  Tongue

Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2007 March 28, 00:50:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you read the whole thread.. there was no one actually flaming you until you started accusing people and making a song and dance about it.  Poor Orikes was just offering his opinion before he got hit with "Bad netiqutte and you're flaming"

She. Smiley

And I wasn't intending to flame at all. I was simply calling on something that seemed like BS. As amjoie has gone on to defend herself from the 'flames', it's become clear that most of the accidental deaths were the result of a. early game glitches, b. poor house design, c. poor playing. And honestly, that's what my initial comment on the topic stated.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2007 March 28, 00:57:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Besides, what is all this bellyaching about offense. I thought you all agreed this forum was for flaming and fighting. Such thin skin for a forum where flaming is supposed to be the norm. LOL

Here you go again. 'Bellyaching'. You've got to stop this projecting of your emotions onto others. You made offensive comments, I didn't like it, neither did others. Noting something, then responding to it is not bellyaching. If I'd whined about it without addressing it, it would be bellyaching.

amjoie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2007 March 28, 01:02:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here you go again. 'Bellyaching'. You've got to stop this projecting of your emotions onto others. You made offensive comments, I didn't like it, neither did others. Noting something, then responding to it is not bellyaching. If I'd whined about it without addressing it, it would be bellyaching.

That was a tease, Witch. I said it was a tease. Lighten up.  Smiley

rhodaloo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2007 March 28, 01:02:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like the times I've accidently clicked "Adopt" intead of "Maid".   Cheesy
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2007 March 28, 01:03:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That was a tease, Witch. I said it was a tease. Lighten up.  Smiley

Oh, it's all sweetness and light now? Grow up.

Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2007 March 28, 01:07:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

amjoie, I think you should just apologize for that statement. While I didn't think it was meant to offend, others did, and it is best to clear up the air while you have a chance.
amjoie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2007 March 28, 01:13:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

amjoie, I think you should just apologize for that statement. While I didn't think it was meant to offend, others did, and it is best to clear up the air while you have a chance.

Do you think it would help? Sure, I'll try anything if it might help.

My earlier statement was unintentionally offensive, and I'm sorry. Please forgive. I mean that. I had no intention of offending anyone.

Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2007 March 28, 01:17:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

AHAHAHA exactly.

If you read the whole thread.. there was no one actually flaming you until you started accusing people and making a song and dance about it.  Poor Orikes was just offering his opinion before he got hit with "Bad netiqutte and you're flaming"

She. Smiley

Oops sorry. Im a shocker for constantly getting the sex of people wrong on the net.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: