More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 19:58:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Graphics card?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Graphics card?  (Read 3152 times)
Samethana
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Graphics card?
« on: 2007 April 10, 08:59:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was hoping someone here could tell me which one of these is best

MSI RX1650PRO-TD512 AGP Radeon 1650PRO, 512Mb DDR, TV-out, DVI, Retail

MSI RX1650PRO-TD256EZ, Passieve Koeling, PCI-EXPRESS Radeon RX1650PRO 256MB DDR2, TV-out, DVI, Crossfire ready, Retail

SAPPHIRE X1650PRO PCI-EXPRESS Radeon X1650PRO 256MB DDR3, TV-out, Double DVI, Crossfire ready, Retail

I planned on buying the second one, but the people from store I ordered it at are really working on my nerves, so I went to check out another store, and now I'm having second doubts again  It's only for playing TS2 btw
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Graphics card?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 April 10, 09:08:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The first one seems best, because it seems to be the same type of graphics card as the others, but has more memory (512 MB compared to 256MB).

EDIT: Looking a bit closely at the DDR types, I'd think the third one may be best, if my understanding of DDR is right.

But, a questions: Do you have both an AGP and a PCI-EXPRESS slot? Because I see both types of cards in your selection. Don't most PCs come with one or the other?
Samethana
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 April 10, 09:17:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I *think* I have an AGP, but they guy from the computerstore told me there were 'converters' so I could use both Smiley Thanks for your advice
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 April 10, 09:42:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm... if there is one out there, I am having trouble finding it. The only information I found that it only works PCIe-to-AGP, not the other way around.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 April 10, 16:26:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

PCI-e >> AGP.

I googled around... and apparently there are AGP to PCI-e converters.  I don't see WHY you would want to convert backwards... I think it would make more sense that... if you had a PCI-e slot, you would bother to actually buy a PCI-e card... *shrugs* Unless the cost of such a converter is minimal and you have an existing high-end AGP card...

Anyhew, I didn't find any converters specifically on sale... but I saw a couple of articles that claim they are coming out.

DDR3 >> DDR2

As per the wiki

Advantages compared to DDR2

* Higher bandwidth (up to 1600 MHz)
    * Performance increase at low power
    * Longer battery life in laptops
    * Enhanced low power features and thermal design

I believe I read somewhere that the DDR3 (and GDDR3) types of memory typically are faster, should perform better, and produce less heat (again better, cuz your system is less likely to overheat and/or it means you probably wouldn't have to worry about buying separate/additional fans).

I think both MSI and Sapphire are relatively reliable companies.  I wouldn't recommend buying from a retail store tho.  I suggest checking online sites like www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com and what not.  You might pay S&H, but in the long run, you will probably still get more for your money.

Ste

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 April 12, 18:46:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do not use converters.
If you have a PCI-express slot; use it!

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?