More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 16, 14:38:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  The Bowels of Trogdor
| |-+  The Small Intestines of Trogdor
| | |-+  ZipOCD: Make smallest possible .zip files
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: ZipOCD: Make smallest possible .zip files  (Read 11024 times)
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
ZipOCD: Make smallest possible .zip files
« on: 2007 March 11, 06:15:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I finally got around to perfecting my crude .zip file archiving method. The basics: it uses the two best .zip file archivers and mixes the results into one zip. It can be used from the command line (ie. zipocd c:\files\* done.zip; names with spaces need to be in quotes though) or just from double clicking; for simplicity's sake it also has a folder where you can just dump files and give the archive a name. Pretty self explanatory, it's pretty flexible and should catch most errors if they happen. Should work for OS X users too through DosBox.

Perhaps someone More Awesome Than Me can use it, or pillage it for something else. I've just been using it for my updates/official downloads archive, but it's worked well for .package files too.

Files:
zipocd.bat - What you run
7z.exe - has a very good zip compressor.
kzip.exe - best known zip compressor but sometimes 7zip does better.
DeflOpt.exe - removes garbage from .zip files to save space. (it optimizes anything that uses Deflate, so png files work too)
zipmix.exe - compares two zip files, takes files compressed better in one and adds them to the other.
Files 2 Zip\ - just press enter at the folder screen if you dropped files in here.

* ZipOCD.zip (103.19 KB - downloaded 549 times.)

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
Re: ZipOCD: Make smallest possible .zip files
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 11, 17:58:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Isn't DOSBox roughly 1% the speed of a modern machine nowadays? I once used it to unpack an obscure format, and it took freaking forever.  Tongue

Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 11, 18:53:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah it will be slower, but it's not too noticeable with the right settings (you can't leave it at the default settings). The CVS builds usually work better, there are a few that have an auto cycle option.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 11, 23:14:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Isn't DOSBox roughly 1% the speed of a modern machine nowadays? I once used it to unpack an obscure format, and it took freaking forever.  Tongue
Isn't that kind of the point, seeing as an old machine is SUPPOSED to be that slow? If you emulated it faster, your emulated item would run at crazyfast, which is precisely the thing that DOSBox was meant to avoid.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: