More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 22:19:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Need to reformat computer and need info
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Need to reformat computer and need info  (Read 4125 times)
katatonic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Need to reformat computer and need info
« on: 2007 March 18, 20:24:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My daughter's laptop seems to have a virus or spyware or something, and because she stupidly did not have an anti-virus program on it we can't remove it.  We are unable to load the software on it now.  It looks like we need to reformat.  When I took it to the local computer store, they're going out of business and told me to just do it myself.  If I knew how to do that I wouldn't be trying to pay them to do it!  Can anyone point me to a tutorial (preferably one that assumes I have no knowledge of computers)?
Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
Re: Need to reformat computer and need info
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 18, 20:56:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All you need is the Windows cd that should have come with the computer. You put that in the cd drive, reboot, then it will walk you through it. HERE is a full-blown tutorial. Good luck Smiley
katatonic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 20, 00:03:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the link.  The partitioning part is confusing me, however.  What shows up on the screen is:
-:  Partition1 [FAT]   16MB  (8MB free)
C: Partition2 [NTFS]  38131MB  (28880MB free)
    Unpartitioned space  8MB
Do I just delete Partition2 or both of them?  How badly can I mess things up if I delete the wrong stuff?  I'd hate to have to spend hours on this and then have to find someone to pay to do it anyway, but with three kids downloading spyware daily this would be a valuable skill for me to have.
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 20, 00:12:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm, it seems the first partition doesn't have a drive letter, but the second one has the standard C: one. I think it is okay to leave it, since I DO believe that only partitions with letters show up in Windows. Then again, the only formatting I've done is on Virtual PC.

Also, did the computer restart with the Windows XP Installation wizard? If it is stuck like that, try rebooting it yourself. It SHOULD show up, according to this walkthrough.
« Last Edit: 2007 March 20, 00:17:24 by Diala » Logged
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 20, 00:16:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One great idea before you let the 3 kids loose again... Get some AV.  Any AV.  Also something like SpyBot.

Did you back up your Sims data directory first?
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 20, 00:21:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The free version of ZoneAlarm would also be helpful. 
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 20, 00:27:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And rig a spare speaker where you can hear it, so  you know when they're downloading spyware!
katatonic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 20, 00:35:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We have plenty of AV software but my daughter was too stupid to install it.  She pulled a midnight move and got herself an apartment by the college she attends because her dad and I apparently didn't understand her.  Now that she's on her own I have become godlike in her eyes with the power to solve all her problems!  Fortunately, I know how my kids are and I have a better computer for my Sims that I refuse to have Internet access on.
Xiomberg
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 20, 11:29:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The first partition may contain recovery info for use with a recovery disc so best not to remove that, delete partition 2 then install
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 20, 11:34:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The first partition may contain recovery info for use with a recovery disc so best not to remove that, delete partition 2 then install
"Recovery partition"? What manner of babble is that? Those only exist in computers preinfested with proprietary spyware, and exist purely for the purpose of REINSTALLING that SPYWARE. Nuke the entire drive, repartition so you can use the entire thing, and install clean from a proper CD.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
katatonic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 21, 03:13:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just deleted Partition2 and reinstalled because this is the first time I've done this and was a little freaked out that I would render the entire computer into a useless paperweight.  Apparently Partition1 did contain spyware which I have now (theoretically) removed.  Actually, the reformatting part was pretty easy.  It took less time to do than it took me to reinstall the software the laptop came with.  I'm used to inserting CD, hitting "next" a few times and finishing.  It took me over an hour to figure out that I had to browse the CD and  extract the files.  I'm that much higher on the learning curve for the next time my kids/spouse do something stupid.  Thanks for all the help.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: