Fix: Performance sucking on Dual Core and HT CPUs

(1/12) > >>

Argon:
I don't remember exactly how I came across this, but I was wondering why my Core Duo 2 laptop was lagging so much when playing TS2. Since doing this I've noticed a significant increase in performance in the game (and booting up my computer actually). Here's why performance is so low:

1) On Dual Core/HT systems Windows XP needs a hotfix that Windows Update does not give you (KB896256)
2) OEMs do no install this hotfix (except a few rare ones)
3) The Sims 2 has sync issues with multiprocessor systems causing its performance to suck (choppy graphics, slow response time etc.)

Affected systems:
Intel - Pentium 4 w/ HT, Pentium D, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, Dual Core Xeon
AMD - Athlon 64 X2, Turion X2, Dual Core Opteron

Resolution:
Install KB896256 (for both Intel and AMD)(AMD only!) Install KB924441 and AMD CPU DriverOpen boot.ini in notepad and add the /usepmtimer switch(DO NOT COPY AND PASTE FROM BELOW!!)
Code:

For example:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Becomes:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

FYI: The /usepmtimer in the BOOT.ini is a "switch" that forces the system to use a steady clock in place of the CPU frequency... for certain timing functions. Thats as basic as you can explain it.

Download ForceCore and copy ForceCore.exe to C:\Windows\System32 OR the TSBin folder for whatever expansion pack you have (it's easier to use it from the System32 folder)Create a shortcut to Sims2EPx.exe (for whatever EP or SP you have) and modify the Target to read: (modify as needed)Code:

ForceCore.exe 2 "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 EP\TSBin\Sims2EPx.exe"
This tells Windows to open the game using the second core/cpu, you can add any of the normal game switches after the quotes (like -1024x768 or -w etc.). For HT systems I'd recommend using 1 instead of 2 since it's only one processor anyway, -1 tells it to use any random processor that you have. Details and picture guide for easier understanding here.

Info yoinked from: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416

Diala:
Thank you this is great. ;D

Looking at where you originally got the information from, I noticed that there was an extra step, which involved editing the Registry. Is it alright to do that, or should we just ignore it?

ZiggyDoodle:
That's interesting info, Argon.  I have a Pentium 4 w/HT (desktop) which had been giving me write delay failure error messages since February.  Thought we had a fix by replacing a cable and doing a registry modification as the rig has been running flawlessly since March 8, but after downloading and installing the latest XP patch yesterday, error message popped up again. 

Back to the drawing board.

syberspunk:
Thanks for the info Argon! :-*

A couple of questions:

Quote from: Argon on 2007 March 18, 04:29:26

Download ForceCore and copy ForceCore.exe to C:\Windows\System32 OR the TSBin folder for whatever expansion pack you have (it's easier to use it from the System32 folder)Create a shortcut to Sims2EPx.exe (for whatever EP or SP you have) and modify the Target to read: (modify as needed)Code:

ForceCore.exe 2 "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 EP\TSBin\Sims2EPx.exe"
This tells Windows to open the game using the second core/cpu, you can add any of the normal game switches after the quotes (like -1024x768 or -w etc.).

What if we are using a securerom hider thingamabobby?  The target in my Sims 2 Seasons icon currently points to

Code:

"C:\Program Files\ASR\asr.exe" -r "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Seasons\TSBin\Sims2EP5.exe" -w

How will this affect me?  Can I just add the ForceCore thing to the beginning or middle?  Or I won't be able to use it?

Quote from: Argon on 2007 March 18, 04:29:26

For HT systems I'd recommend using 1 instead of 2 since it's only one processor anyway, -1 tells it to use any random processor that you have. Details and picture guide for easier understanding here.

What's an HT system?  I could probably look it up, but meh...  I figure it probably doesn't concern me, but I was just curious.  A cursory google brought up home theater system, but that doesn't seem to make sense.  :-\

Ste

jsalemi:
HT = hyperthreading.  It was a way Intel designed fast chips (higher than 2.8Ghz) to act like they were two separate processors, before the Dual Core technology came out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page