More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 13:45:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Datgen
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Datgen  (Read 6913 times)
Indiasong
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Datgen
« on: 2007 March 15, 21:07:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone have it?
It has got corrupted and I have lost my hair toner.
I can't find it anywhere.  Cry
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
Re: Datgen
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 15, 21:13:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://datgen.thesimsresource.com/programs/
aqualectrix
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 16, 02:13:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The latest release I can find at TSR is 7.8, which is probably not what you want.  I don't recall if HairToner was available in that version, but if so it was quite a primitive version with plenty of bugs.  If your heart is set on DatGen and HairToner, I would do whatever you can to find the 7.13 debug release.

However...

I highly recommend you look into Theo's Color Binning Tool for SimPE.  The thread is http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=3844.0.

I used to be a big proponent of DatGen and especially HairToner.  While it was actively being developed, it beat the manual SimPE method hollow, no questions asked.  But even the very last version (7.13 debug) had a few bugs and ease-of-use problems, and it is no longer being worked on.  The Color Binning Tool is easier to use than HairToner (although it has the same basic interface, if I recall correctly), does more things automatically, and Theo is active and will (presumably) fix any reported bugs.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 16, 03:56:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My only compliant with Theo's tool is the inability to have more than one recolor in a color bin, unless you do some fancy finagling.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 16, 23:50:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gone away now...

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 17, 10:22:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I still have DatGen - I keep everything.  mmm...

Edit
Yes - I have two, in fact

version 7.9 and one without a number but I think that was the last one (7.13?)

Do you want me to post it somewhere?

Inteen for AL, yay!
Indiasong
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 17, 20:34:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know I should start using Simpe, but datgen is so much easier fot binning hair in the same family, and you get a thumbnail off the colour of the file.
I don't know why my hair toner option disappeared, I had some power outings and some programs bugged, and my monitor stopped working.
I found the programs, but they don't seem to have the hair toner.The 7.13 I had on CD, but installing it again didn't bring up the hairtoner, and i think the last ones didn't have it.
Maybe you could send me just the plugin?
Thank you anyway.
aqualectrix
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 18, 02:54:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Theo's tool gives you a thumbnail too -- in fact, a thumbnail for every age.  Jelenedra is right in saying that havng more than one recolor per color bin is a little extra work, though.

In later versions of DatGen, Hairtoner is just a part of Skin Manager.  So click Skin Manager, then look up at the toolbars.  The Hairtoner icon is a little fire, the last icon on the lowest toolbar.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 18, 08:04:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Theo's tool for SimPE has superceded DatGen really - it does the same things and the big advantage is, you can also use it to remove unused ages like repeats of the elder hairs and the often unchanged toddler/child/teen stages.  Some of my previously huge hair files have plummeted size-wise and now have file sizes of 200-400kb.  Some remain larger but I'd say the hair folder occupies less than half the space it once did.  It's also very, very easy to use.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Indiasong
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 18, 14:22:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sold more or less. Where can I find a tutorial? I tried to use it, but I had to open each file in its turn, and when I wanted to save, it didn't get me the option to use the original file.
Datgen took all the files and saved all with a click.
I have managed to get a working one, but it doesn't have the thumbnails, so more or less useless.
aqualectrix
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 18, 15:14:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Theo's site has a walk-through: http://theos.chewbakkas.net/tools/color-binning-tool-walkthrough.html
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 18, 21:21:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sold more or less. Where can I find a tutorial? I tried to use it, but I had to open each file in its turn, and when I wanted to save, it didn't get me the option to use the original file.

No you can't write over an existing file - choose another name (I use a particular code for myself which includes sex, maker etc. - so I can work out immediately from the filename what the hair is).  The tut on Theo's site is easy to follow, especially if you use the hair he uses as an example.  You can save four hairs as a family and you can update any sims and their DNA (if you change a hair in use) via the options panel.  The different hairs in a family save with the same name but a different colour suffix to the file name.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: