More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 06:22:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Journalism career reward
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Journalism career reward  (Read 8718 times)
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
Journalism career reward
« on: 2007 March 09, 16:23:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does it actually *do* anything?  Besides sit there and look pretty, I mean.  The description contains the line "stand in the presence of this fantastic award and watch your mood improve!", which to me implies that it should work a little like a snap dragon, but I'm seeing nothing.

Ideas?
lingeringviolet
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Journalism career reward
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 09, 16:31:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems to raise some of their motives a bit while they're in the room with the award. It doesn't do as good of a job as the adventurer career reward, but it's not bad.

What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs
Rolls over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack and fits on your back?
It's Log, Log, Log!
It's Log, Log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's Log, Log, it's better than bad, it's good!
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 09, 16:45:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According the the guide, (I know, I know) the Journalism Award has the following effects:

Fun 3 (view), Hunger 2 (Proximity), Comfort 2 (Proximity), Energy 2 (Proximity), Fun 2 (Proximity), Social 2 (Proximity), Hygeine 2 (Proximity).

Which is barely better than the Golden Skull with its:

Fun 3 (view), Hunger 2 (Proximity), Comfort 2 (Proximity), Energy 1 (Proximity), Fun 2 (Proximity), Social 2 (Proximity), Hygeine 2 (Proximity).

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
LordHellscream
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 09, 17:28:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

what about snapdragon? is it better or worse than snapdragon
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 09, 18:43:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good lord. I had my sims studying at a bookcase right next to an end table with that award, and it didn't even dawn on me that that was why their energy bars were more than half-full at 2:30 a.m. They had been studying there for hours and hadn't needed to be interrupted to take care of any other needs either.

And I've been wondering for days what the hell that thing does. Ta-dah!

ETA: I don't think it's stronger than a snapdragon though. But at any rate, it takes care of energy while a snapdragon does not.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 12, 12:45:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good item to place on desks for novel writing too.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 12, 13:10:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fun 3 (view), Hunger 2 (Proximity), Comfort 2 (Proximity), Energy 2 (Proximity), Fun 2 (Proximity), Social 2 (Proximity), Hygeine 2 (Proximity).

Which is barely better than the Golden Skull with its:

Fun 3 (view), Hunger 2 (Proximity), Comfort 2 (Proximity), Energy 1 (Proximity), Fun 2 (Proximity), Social 2 (Proximity), Hygeine 2 (Proximity).
That explanation is utter gibberish and incredibly Jelenedra. Real facts to come out soon.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 14, 07:15:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, here's the boosts:

Journalism Reward: +2 all human motives to all humanoid sims in room, once every 900 ticks (30m).
Adventurer Reward: Same as Journalism.

Compare to:
Snapdragon: 25% chance of +5 Hunger, +7 Comfort, +3 Bladder, +3 Hygiene, +5 Fun, +3 Social to all within radius 3 in room, every 200-210 ticks (~7m).

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 14, 15:54:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So... in other words, both these rewards are identical, save for the different mesh/object?  And they are crap in comparison to the snap dragon? Tongue

Does the snap dragon take less time to make than it does for a sim to obtain the career reward?

Also, since it's a career reward, I assume you are limited to one per sim/household (however that works)?

How about tile size.  I haven't used any of these objects, but how many tiles do each occupy?  If the snap dragon occupies a single tile, then that seems to be the best object to use.  It doesn't seem like these career rewards are all that useful. Tongue

Ste

miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 14, 16:17:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can have as many career rewards you want Syber, but the sims do have to earn each one with that particular career.  I've been using the Journalism one in my legacy living room,near where the toddler skills, and I've found it to be quite satisfying.  It doesn't have the power of Snapdragons which are in my opinion too overpowered.  This does however give a gentle increase to energy too, which the Snapdragon does not ;-)

You may notice the effects more when a sim first enters the room.  Nothing seems to happen while viewing other than the fun increase.

BTW, the Adventurer career reward is the Weather control device.  It was the first one my founder went for  Smiley
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 14, 16:22:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BTW, the Adventurer career reward is the Weather control device.  It was the first one my founder went for  Smiley

No, the Weather Controller is an aspiration reward; the Adventurer career reward is the Tiki God thing that works like the Journalism reward to boost a sims motives.

How about tile size.  I haven't used any of these objects, but how many tiles do each occupy?  If the snap dragon occupies a single tile, then that seems to be the best object to use.  It doesn't seem like these career rewards are all that useful. Tongue

They're all 1 tile.  The Adventurer Tiki God thing is a full-size statue.  The Journalism thing is a small statue that can sit on a table or the floor.  The snapdragon is the same -- a big vase of flowers that can go on a table or the floor.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 14, 16:29:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are the career reward effects additive as snapdragons are?  i.e. if I have two in the room, double the energy increase?

I don't have Seasons yet, but the energy boost alone would be reason enough to get a couple for the skilling areas.  If they stack, they'd potentially be much more powerful than snapdragons.
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 March 14, 16:36:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh crap!  You're right, I get confused, sorry  Embarrassed
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007 March 14, 17:20:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can have as many career rewards you want Syber, but the sims do have to earn each one with that particular career.

What I meant was, you can only get one career reward per sim per career i.e. Sim A can reach the top of career track A and get career reward A, but only once.  He can switch to career B and get career reward B, but he can't switch back to career A and get another career reward A.  This is opposed to Aspiration rewards, which you can "re-purchase" multiple times, as long as you have sufficient aspiration points.  Now, if you had Sim B in the same family, and she reached the top of career track A, she could also unlock that career reward, and you would effectively have two of them.  But when you unlock it once, for a specific sim, that's it.  It's a one time thing, yes, no?  At least, that's the impression I got.

I play so slow that, in actuality, I haven't used any of the career rewards.  Less than a handful of sims have reached the top of their careers.  And since I wasn't quite sure yet if career rewards are a one time thing and if I could keep them in inventory without buggy things happening, I haven't actually used them yet. Tongue

They're all 1 tile.  The Adventurer Tiki God thing is a full-size statue.  The Journalism thing is a small statue that can sit on a table or the floor.  The snapdragon is the same -- a big vase of flowers that can go on a table or the floor.

Ahhh... thanks for the info joe Smiley  I suppose, if anything, between the two career rewards, it all depends on what pleases you aesthetically, or what works/fits in your household.

Ste

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 March 14, 17:42:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I meant was, you can only get one career reward per sim per career i.e. Sim A can reach the top of career track A and get career reward A, but only once.  He can switch to career B and get career reward B, but he can't switch back to career A and get another career reward A.  This is opposed to Aspiration rewards, which you can "re-purchase" multiple times, as long as you have sufficient aspiration points.  Now, if you had Sim B in the same family, and she reached the top of career track A, she could also unlock that career reward, and you would effectively have two of them.  But when you unlock it once, for a specific sim, that's it.  It's a one time thing, yes, no?  At least, that's the impression I got.

You actually unlock the career rewards at level 6 of the career; they're generally designed (or at least originally were) to give you skills in one of the areas that you have to max out to reach the top level of the career (i.e., the Medical career reward builds mechanical skill). And I don't believe that you're limited to only getting it once, but I'm not 100% sure on that. 

In any case, TJ and others have buyable collections of all the awards, and you can also unlock them through the testing cheats. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 March 14, 17:54:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I don't believe that you're limited to only getting it once, but I'm not 100% sure on that. 

Once you click the career reward, the option grays out and it's locked again, while it's on your cursor

INFP or something
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 March 14, 18:06:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nothing prevents you from getting the job, working the career ladder till you get the reward, then using the newspaper to start over in the career. As long as you have placed the reward somewhere on the lot,  you can get as many of em as you want. If you havent placed it when you reach the level of the career where you would get the reward, is my experience that you simply dont get it, as you already have it. Once its been placed, you can get another, place that, get another, place that, etc...

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 March 14, 18:13:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You actually unlock the career rewards at level 6 of the career; they're generally designed (or at least originally were) to give you skills in one of the areas that you have to max out to reach the top level of the career (i.e., the Medical career reward builds mechanical skill).

OH! Duh!  I'm not sure where I got the idea that the career rewards were awarded to you upon reaching the top of the career.  That totally makes more sense now. Tongue  I always wondered why they would do that... reward you with something that essentially isn't useful to you anymore.  Lol.  I just figured it was stupid Maxian EA logic.  Or maybe that it was meant to help you pass on/teach skills faster to your progeny.  All this time, I could have been skilling much faster if I had used those dumb rewards. Cheesy

This is what I get for playing so slowly.  I end up reading about stuff more, and just jumping to conclusions about things.  When the game first came out, I didn't even know about aspiration rewards at all.  I thought it was hella crazy to keep all their motives up and take of babies and such, until my sister told me about the re-energizer and thinking cap.  Hehehe.  Grin

In any case, TJ and others have buyable collections of all the awards, and you can also unlock them through the testing cheats. Smiley

Well yeah, of course there are other ways to get them, but I prefer non-cheaty ways.

Nothing prevents you from getting the job, working the career ladder till you get the reward, then using the newspaper to start over in the career. As long as you have placed the reward somewhere on the lot,  you can get as many of em as you want. If you havent placed it when you reach the level of the career where you would get the reward, is my experience that you simply dont get it, as you already have it. Once its been placed, you can get another, place that, get another, place that, etc...

Ahhh... I hadn't thought of that.  I suppose that requires too much effort tho.  And... I could have sworn I read somewhere that you could get promoted past the unlock level, and you wouldn't be able to get the reward.  Did I imagine that? Or was that just a "bug" that was fixed?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting home tonight.  I finally installed Sims on my new machine.  I can't wait to see how the game runs and looks, and I might actually get to play!!!  Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Ste

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 March 14, 18:22:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahhh... I hadn't thought of that.  I suppose that requires too much effort tho.  And... I could have sworn I read somewhere that you could get promoted past the unlock level, and you wouldn't be able to get the reward.  Did I imagine that? Or was that just a "bug" that was fixed?

I think it's a uni thing, where if you came out suma cum laude, you could start a career at level 7 or higher, and completely miss the point where the reward gets unlocked. And I don't think it's ever been 'fixed'.  However, Pesc's harderjobs prevents a sim from starting so high up in the career, so I haven't hit this 'feature' in like, forever. Smiley

if you come up through the ranks, and it unlocks at level 6, it stays unlocked even if you get promoted, until you actually place it on the lot or into your inventory.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 March 14, 20:20:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think this was broken with Uni. When I start a grad out, they usually start at level 9 of their career path. I then perma-ignore them (if their LTW was career related), and send them to the computer to find a job. I take the jobs, one by one, and all the career rewards are unlocked ( Level 5 or higher of career path). I can them remove the rewards and do it all over again. Wash, rinse, repeat.  This is assuming your Sim is a Summa grad, has maxed skills and plenty of friends. I've been playing this way for quite a while. It's starting to feel 'cheaty' to me.

Their *is* a problem with non-uni adults who had teen jobs (reaching the top of the teen career). Somehow they seem to leap-frog over the awards. I guess the workaround would be to have them seek the job from the paper to insure a lower level start?

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 March 14, 20:35:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think this was broken with Uni. When I start a grad out, they usually start at level 9 of their career path. I then perma-ignore them (if their LTW was career related), and send them to the computer to find a job. I take the jobs, one by one, and all the career rewards are unlocked ( Level 5 or higher of career path). I can them remove the rewards and do it all over again. Wash, rinse, repeat.  This is assuming your Sim is a Summa grad, has maxed skills and plenty of friends. I've been playing this way for quite a while. It's starting to feel 'cheaty' to me.

Their *is* a problem with non-uni adults who had teen jobs (reaching the top of the teen career). Somehow they seem to leap-frog over the awards. I guess the workaround would be to have them seek the job from the paper to insure a lower level start?
Get harderjobs.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 March 15, 01:26:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I meant was, you can only get one career reward per sim per career i.e. Sim A can reach the top of career track A and get career reward A, but only once.  He can switch to career B and get career reward B, but he can't switch back to career A and get another career reward A.
This is a not-trueity. You can, in fact, switch back and get the career reward again. Uni even fixed it so you automatically get it again, just for signing up on the computer at a high enough level, if you didn't have Harder Jobs, which usually prevents this.

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 March 15, 07:00:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, basically if you had 10 in a room you could use that room in lieu of a +40 EPH bed?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 March 15, 07:55:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, basically if you had 10 in a room you could use that room in lieu of a +40 EPH bed?
If you put 10 of them in a room, your sim won't have to do anything, period. Note that since the effect is not limited by range like snapdragons, dogpiling them in a huge room is a perfectly viable move. If you just don't build a HOUSE at all and just pile them all in a single room, you won't have to do much of anything. Note that the worst standard motive decay is  Elder Bladder, at -500/day, or ~-21/hr. 10 of them in a room would give you +40 all per hr, which means you wouldn't have to *DO* anything. PYP plants are for wussies.

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 March 15, 20:19:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've found in experimenting that having 3 or 4 is enough to make them annoyingly happy if it's in a high traffic room, so you definitely need to keep these suckers well hidden. Unless you like the idea of making normal sims into vampires that don't die in sunlight.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: