More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 19:25:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  The Armory
| | |-+  Indoor Plant Fixes
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Indoor Plant Fixes  (Read 32539 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Indoor Plant Fixes
« on: 2007 March 09, 04:43:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fixes stupidity relating to indoor plants becoming overwatered and dying as a result of rain occurring outside, discovered mostly due to my love of crappy weather. Because good weather is for wussies. Also makes indoor greenhouse plants considerably less likely to develop weeds, particularly if measures are made to keep the area clean (airlocks, not using compost, actually sealing the area, etc). Because frankly, I've never had a single weed in *MY* potato garden, undoubtedly due to the indoor, sealed nature of the area. Now you, too, can practice clean bunker gardening.

indoorplantfix.zip

Indoor Plant Fix for TS2Seasons
Made by: Flying Fish Systems (J. M. Pescado & Doctor Boris)

Congratulations to: Draklixa!

Special Thanks To:
Hobbsee the Scrawny Pencil Neck
Fat, Hairy-Bellied Ness
BlueSoup, Fat Head

INSTRUCTIONS:
Place in your MYDOCU~1\EAGAME~1\THESIM~1\DOWNLO~1 directory.

BUGS & ANNOYANCES FIXED:
1. Indoor plants not exposed no longer become (over)watered by rain.
2. Indoor plants now unlikely to have weeds if grown in sealed environment.

COMPATIBILITY:
This hack is fully compatible with all FFS hacks. For TS2Seasons.

SIDE EFFECTS:
May cause computer damage, incontinence, explosion of user's head, coma, death,
and/or halitosis.

WARNING:
Do not open, crush, dispose of in fire, put in backwards, short-circuit, or mix
with non-awesome hacks - may explode, leak, or catch fire, resulting in injury
and/or death.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: Indoor Plant Fixes
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 09, 08:24:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...particularly if measures are made to keep the area clean (airlocks, not using compost, actually sealing the area, etc).

I'm 404'd too. JM must be ASLEEP. WAKE UP JM!

So, are you saying that using fertiliser and compost encourages weeds? (I know it does in the real world Tongue) Can you get thriving plants without using compost?

Airlocks and sealing the area - seriously or just your little joke?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 09, 08:35:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He is not sleeping. Sleep is for wussies.
I think compost is just an alternative to the fertilizer that makes you a funky green person, so not necessary.
Man, I want this by 4pm so I can play with it this weekend, no internet connection at home.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Fat D
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 09, 09:49:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

compost created with improper sealing might carry weed seeds.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 09, 12:56:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fixed. Apparently the upload didn't take.

So, are you saying that using fertiliser and compost encourages weeds? (I know it does in the real world Tongue) Can you get thriving plants without using compost?
Yes.

Airlocks and sealing the area - seriously or just your little joke?
Yes. If your area is accessible to the outside by only a single door, something has a low chance of getting in. Note that once weeds DO get in, they will spread potentially rapidly unless destroyed. Having a decontamination chamber, like in real life, will prevent this cause.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 09, 15:49:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seemed that using compost in the Roth greenhouse resulted in healthier plants.  The ones in which I used fertilizer were not as healthy.  Can you explain this?
wetninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 09, 16:59:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh, well I think that I will take my chances for the time being, but I will keep this in mind.  I have not had any problems that I have noticed though, perhaps I'm not paying close enough attention. Wink
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 09, 21:37:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seemed that using compost in the Roth greenhouse resulted in healthier plants.  The ones in which I used fertilizer were not as healthy.  Can you explain this?
Compost grants a higher bonus than ordinary fertilizer. Compost, however,will also increase the odds of healthier weeds. Tongue

wetninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 10, 17:01:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I stand totally corrected!  I was playing last night right after I posted here and I built a green house and it rained for two days straight and all my plants died from over watering!

Thanks for this hack and I shall go eat crow now!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 11, 00:48:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* J. M. Pescado points and laughs.

carlasturmer
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 11, 04:23:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"(...) good weather is for wussies".  I do agree!!!  *lol*

And, yeah, I hate that weeds everytime it rains. Thanks.

"Life is never fair...And perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not." (Oscar Wilde)
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 11, 20:50:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The fertilizer in bags has a lot of chemical stuff, the compost is natural (or should be more natural, but some people use various chemical stuffs to break things down quicker  Undecided) and so healthier.  Basically the compost is for more Organic Gardening, so technically if you're going that route you shouldn't use Pesticides or you defeat the object. 

But anyway.. It's so nice to see you have this one under control, I just filled out a bug report for this exact thing (rain+greenhouse=overwater) the other night. 

I'm torn though, I'd like to see this rain/greenhouse bug squished into the ground, but I want to keep the weeds as they are for my legacy kids.  The adults/elders and most teens have gold badges already but my kids don't get as much free time for gardening so they just get to pull weeds now and then.   I don't suppose there is any danger of a version without weed changes is there? 
LordHellscream
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 March 11, 21:18:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

strange, i have played a LONG time no and the only time my greenhouse plants get overwatered is when someone actually water it.
if a sim never manually water those plants and completely depends on the sprinklers then the plants never get overwatered.
i once use the weather control to make it rain for a few days, and none of my plant get overwatered as long as the sim dont water them.

i usually just plant them outside when someone need training in gardening. also attracts more bugs so my sims can turn into plantsim Smiley

MOD EDIT: Modify is not quote.
« Last Edit: 2007 March 11, 22:50:48 by Venusy » Logged
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 March 11, 22:29:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is an edit button you know  Wink

Is that a roundabout way of telling J.M and others that this is their imagination?  I've played a long time now too, and have personally spent some time carefully monitoring my plants before, during and after heavy rains.  I can assure you that lots and lots of rain will lead to the plants ending up overwatered, even if you leave all the watering to the sprinklers.

I look at Plant Sims as a kind of Failure State actually. It's what happens to poor sims with gardens, rich sims can afford greenhouses and are far above being plant sims, they are pro's that earn their gold badges the real way.  The two founders of this family ended up being plant sims hehe. Wink 
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 March 11, 22:55:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I look at Plant Sims as a kind of Failure State actually. It's what happens to poor sims with gardens, rich sims can afford greenhouses and are far above being plant sims, they are pro's that earn their gold badges the real way.  The two founders of this family ended up being plant sims hehe. Wink

Funny you should say that, now that I've perfected my greenhouse on my ninja's lot after only a few days. Granted, a ninja's life is supposed to be harsh so I didn't exactly shell out tons of money for walls and such.  Grin

Llial
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 March 19, 11:58:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is this compatible with twojeffs "Perfect Gardens" ?
breyerii
Town Crier
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 March 19, 12:49:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do cars and horses race together?
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 March 20, 18:04:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do cars and horses race together?

Apparently... they do. Tongue

Cheesy

Ste

Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 March 21, 22:38:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like manually watering plants and having weeds.

First of all, gardening builds fun. It's a good way for a child to build fun after returning from school and doing homework.  Plus it builds gardening skill.

Second, every time you water or tend a plant, the health goes up.  So you get two boosts to plant health by tending the weeds then watering everything.  You spend less time talking to plants this way. Smiley

Why aren't my children skilling?  Well, if you have a smart Sim, learning from the education career reward bookcase, using a thinking cap and scarfing veggie cocktail (which makes a Sim smarter), and do all this in the Fall, you can max 7 skills from near zero in about 4 days.  Might as well do this as a teen, and let the kids be kids.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
striker
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 March 22, 13:17:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey Hook, I thought using the TC would wipe out the stuck smart milk switch.  Are you saying it doesn't?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 March 22, 13:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like manually watering plants and having weeds.

First of all, gardening builds fun. It's a good way for a child to build fun after returning from school and doing homework.  Plus it builds gardening skill.
Put them outside, then. you can have all the weeds you want. Tongue Or if you really want weeds in your greenhouse, leave one sacrificial plant out to get infested, whereupon it will spread like, well, weeds.

Second, every time you water or tend a plant, the health goes up.  So you get two boosts to plant health by tending the weeds then watering everything.  You spend less time talking to plants this way. Smiley
That works, yes.

Why aren't my children skilling?  Well, if you have a smart Sim, learning from the education career reward bookcase, using a thinking cap and scarfing veggie cocktail (which makes a Sim smarter), and do all this in the Fall, you can max 7 skills from near zero in about 4 days.  Might as well do this as a teen, and let the kids be kids.
Pssh. Waiting that long risks losing your smart bits. Actually, it's not even 4 days. It's less than 1, with the Edumacation Bookshelf. I produce C-8s with time to spare.

And then it's time for SLAVE LABOR! And I see your Hooklike self is back. You should reappear in chat more.

Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 March 22, 16:22:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Striker:  I've been continuously checking my Sim kids' IQ and it looks like doing homework will sometimes unstick the smart milk.  I don't know what the criteria are, but some Sims don't ever lose the smart milk thingy, even after using a thinking cap.  I figure if my Sim *ever* had stuck smart milk, they should *always* have stuck smart milk, so I cheat 'em back to smart using the lotdebugger.  So sue me. Smiley

Pes:  I like running a garden year round, so I've never had one without a greenhouse.  If I can put one plot outside the greenhouse and have it cause weeds to sprout inside, I'm happy.

If I wait until a Sim becomes a teen, if it's a Knowledge Sim they get a metric assload of aspiration points.  And if they have the LTW to max 7 skills, they become permaplat in no time!

I've always been a slave driver with my Sim toddlers and children, skilling all the time.  I guess it's time to let a Sim kid be a kid, see what else they can do. Cheesy

And the reason I'm back is, I haven't played much Sims since I got burned out on OFB about 2 weeks after getting it.  I recently got Pets and Seasons and am back to playing most of my waking hours. Cheesy 

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 March 22, 18:14:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I wait until a Sim becomes a teen, if it's a Knowledge Sim they get a metric assload of aspiration points.  And if they have the LTW to max 7 skills, they become permaplat in no time!
Eh, metric assloads of raw ASP are easy to come by and nearly totally useless. Tongue

I've always been a slave driver with my Sim toddlers and children, skilling all the time.  I guess it's time to let a Sim kid be a kid, see what else they can do. Cheesy
Not a hell of a lot, alas. Toddlers basically can't do anything ELSE, although children can now be used as farm labor.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: