More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 23:03:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The War Room
| | |-+  Fix: Performance sucking on Dual Core and HT CPUs
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Fix: Performance sucking on Dual Core and HT CPUs  (Read 78345 times)
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
Re: Fix: Performance sucking on Dual Core and HT CPUs
« Reply #50 on: 2007 April 14, 21:07:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hard drive speed really has no influence in anything besides saving and load times or if your pc has so little ram that it resorts to using the slow swap file.

Granted, during the "live" game play, the hard drive is not as much of a factor. However, drive speed is a critically severe bottleneck with respect to load/saving/building lots, and any transitions between them. Those are the performances areas that most desperately need improvement, ergo they *are* a factor.

Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007 April 17, 07:49:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Who said anything about upgrading your computer?  I'm saying that DX10 games are so far off that you're better off buying a new system for $1000 when the game you want comes out than waste loads of money for the sole purpose of being DX10 ready.  Even with DX10 capable cards there's no promise that TS3 will run really well either.  I'm guessing that TS3 will take up at least 25GB and take 2GB of RAM minimum, 4GB recommended.  These might be a little excessive but I wouldn't put it past EA for making the game extra bloaty just to force people to buy new hardware (they are the Microsoft of gaming companies after all).  Those cards will improve TS2's rendering now especially if you were on an integrated chipset though.

I really don't understand what makes a card DX10 capable anyway, is it an GPU architecture like PPC or x86?  From what I understand right now, it seems to me that it's saying that a computer is Cω or Python capable.

By the way, Avalon shuts off while you're playing pretty much any game so that's not what's causing the problem.  The slower performance probably comes from the fact that Vista adds a lot of services like SuperFetch and Tablet PC support even when you don't have a Tablet PC.  This is what angers me about Vista the most, they put crap like this in there and there's no way to completely remove it anymore unless you reinstall your entire OS with vLite.
« Last Edit: 2007 April 17, 08:03:12 by Nutbladder » Logged
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2007 April 20, 14:23:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry for being retarded but I can't find my boot.ini (it's been a while, forgotten where it was and a search turned up empty. I found a boot.ini.backup... if I do the forcecore and the XP update without the boot.ini thing, will it not work?

INFP or something
Apsalar
Asinine Airhead

Enraged Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007 May 25, 15:29:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dudes, do you know of any improvements with Vista?

---Vista HP
---Core 2Duo 6400
---2 gb RAM
---Nvidia GF 7950GT

I have all the expansions and SP's running. The performance coughs a bit sometimes - more lately - I don't think I need to whine, but I want to be sure I haven't missed anything I could do to improve performance. Smiley

Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2007 May 25, 19:46:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ω

I just want to know why you have a butt symbol ( ω ) on your computer while I don't.  Huh  Grin

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2007 May 25, 20:44:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

'cos he's an arsehole who thinks burning live kittens to death is fun?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2007 May 25, 21:04:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

'cos he's an arsehole who thinks burning live kittens to death is fun?

So they get special "arse" keys?

It now becomes clear.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007 May 25, 21:53:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So they get special "arse" keys?

That's right. Cheesy

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.