More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 12:31:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Autonomous weather forecasts
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Autonomous weather forecasts  (Read 8615 times)
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
Autonomous weather forecasts
« on: 2007 March 07, 16:08:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just had the following message pop up unexpectedly:  "It's winter.  Put a sweater on.  Does that help?"  The icon accompanying it showed an unfamiliar NPC, whom I assumed must be the weatherman.  Question:  What would cause autonomous weather forecasts?  I don't believe the TV was on at the time although I was too startled to think to check for sure.  I am pretty sure no one was reading the newspaper either.

It would be nice to have a hack to stop the autonomous forecasts.  If I want to know what the weather is going to be, I'll ask!
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
Re: Autonomous weather forecasts
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 07, 16:33:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only time I've had those pop ups was when a sim had snuck off to watch tv or read the paper, autonomously. The funniest was an autonomous scolding by the weatherman, something like "I'm not in the mood. If you want to know what the weather's like, look out the window!" WTF?!
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 07, 16:58:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not once have I gotten that one. I am jealous of you.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 07, 17:19:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

o.o
After reading this I just got that message. Weird.

What I would like though is a little object, a weather radio or something, that when placed on the lot it will give you pop ups telling you what the weather will be.

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 07, 17:30:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exactly. And no more nonsense about "I don't feel like it!!11" and "Want to hear a joke?" because that won't be good either. Maybe as an aspiration reward.

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 07, 18:01:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've only had one thunderstorm, and a tree was struck by lightning. The fire department came, put out the fire, and I got the message "Gotta run! Please be more careful next time!"

I'm getting scolded by every friggin fraggin NPC in the game.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 07, 18:48:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still so new to this EP. I didn't know there even was a lightening rod.
PandaGirl
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 07, 19:00:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's raining when lightning hits your trees, the rain should put the fire out. That way nobody scolds you!  Cheesy

LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 07, 19:05:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had several fierce storms with multiple lighting strikes and never a power failure so most likely they never put that back in.  It did seem kind of pointless anyway.

simsbaby I'd like the same thing and i wouldn't mind if i have to go through the trouble of telling my sims to interact with it.
amjoie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 07, 19:13:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had one tree get struck three times by lightning, all during one storm, each time catching fire. But each time the fire went out by itself, almost immediately -- probably because of an old Carrigon mod I was testing for Seasons compatibility, that prevented outdoor Christmas trees from catching fire .... I think I'll keep that mod in the game. Seems to work.  LOL

For every King, there is a Queen ....
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 08, 11:10:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My tree that got struck by lightning and set on fire went out by itself as well. I think it has something to do the rain, not with any mods.

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 08, 11:44:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The rain is supposed to put out fires caused by lightning. I get scolded by the fire department too, but I'm not removing my outside smoke detector. I've had too many Nannies decide to grill and start fires for that. Besides, some day I might want to test the Rain of Fire.  Grin

The lightning rod doesn't seem to do anything.  Roll Eyes

I've had several lightning strikes and no fire outtages. I don't think they put it into the game. It's probably just as well.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2007 March 08, 14:55:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still so new to this EP. I didn't know there even was a lightening rod.

LOL, Brynne, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I swear I saw a mention of a lightning rod last week, so I looked for one in the game and found zilch, so I decided it was a spoof, a hoax, or a mod. I also searched for lightning (and lightening -- damned english and its variable spelling!) rods without much success. Today is the first reference I've seen to it since last week. Either I'm not getting out enough (in BB land) or I'm living in a solipsist world of my own.  Roll Eyes

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 March 08, 15:01:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you get a lightning strike a tree right at the end of a storm, the tree will burn to the ground.

In my case, it happened in the middle of the night when everyone was asleep, so it burned the tree as well as the artificial rocks sitting next to it.  Cheesy

miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 March 08, 16:31:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The lighting rod is under Decorative/Miscellaneous, and is towards the very end.  I'm not sure how well it works though, I've planted several around my lot now at various heights and my poor willow tree (and gnomes) still get struck.  The rain always seems to put it out for me, but I can see where a strike right at the end of the storm will cause problems.  I shall have to install fire alarms outside after all.  It's a good idea anyway with sims going up in flames all over the shop.

P.S.  Brynne, that avatar is quite scary  Cheesy
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 March 08, 17:57:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JM has a mod for the fire swarming thing I think.  If I remember right sims that have seen a few fires previously will whip out the extinguisher themselves.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 March 08, 18:03:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't give the rain a chance to put the fire out when my tree got stuck, considering my sim decided to run to it and freak out right underneath it. I got her to run inside long enough to call the fire dept, but she ran right back out to the tree, but it was 8 so she turned into a werewolf.

Sounds like a dream I once had.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 March 08, 18:11:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's also a weather station in Decorative/Misc, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than sit there like any sculpture.  I don't have the Prima guide for Seasons, so I don't know if having it on the lot is supposed to generate automatic weather reports, but nothing happened in the full day I had it on one lot.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 March 08, 18:27:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's also a weather station in Decorative/Misc, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than sit there like any sculpture.  I don't have the Prima guide for Seasons, so I don't know if having it on the lot is supposed to generate automatic weather reports, but nothing happened in the full day I had it on one lot.

I've been wondering about that too.  I thought maybe I had a hack conflict that was keeping it from showing any interactions other than the normal "View" for a sculpture.  Glad to see I'm not the only one.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 March 08, 21:58:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A glance through the code tells me that lightning rods have a 54% to 70% chance of working (for 1 to 5 rods).

Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 March 09, 01:45:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had lightning strike a visitor in the hot tub during a storm... that was fun. Though I think I need to make sure nopuddlerage is in there again because the house owner now is furious for the lightning strike victim for wetting herself after she got out of the tub Tongue
LadyLiberty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 March 09, 04:43:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*spews coffee in all directions*   Shoot!  I don't laugh out loud while sitting at the computer very often.  Thank you for that   Wink
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 March 09, 11:44:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been wondering about that too.  I thought maybe I had a hack conflict that was keeping it from showing any interactions other than the normal "View" for a sculpture.  Glad to see I'm not the only one.

There's one of those on the plantsims's family lot, played with no hacks, and it does nothing - so it's not a hack conflict. I spent an unreasonable amount of time trying to figure out what it would do and it's irritating :p

Unsouper
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: