More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 19:39:51

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Does anyone know of any hack that would prevent fishing ?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Does anyone know of any hack that would prevent fishing ?  (Read 6991 times)
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Does anyone know of any hack that would prevent fishing ?
« on: 2007 March 07, 15:15:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh I don't have InSim in my game so it can't be that . I felt for sure it would have been the maintenance free aquarium hack of TwoJeff's because the aquarium fish and pond fish seem related in that those who can't see the aquarium fish in their game also can't see the pond fish and therefore those who can see both etc . I took it out and it wasn't that though so I'm at a complete loss as to why any other sort of hack should prevent fishing . I would try the trial and error method of taking hacks out if I had an inkling what sort of type of hack I was looking for as the culprit . But I have tons of hacks in my game and none of them look remotely like they should stop fishing so due to not getting time to play the game much as it is I may as well forget about playing the game altogether for weeks on end if I were to try testing each hack one by one to see if it's having this undesirable effect . It would take me an eternity because I don't have a clue what's doing it  Sad
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
Re: Does anyone know of any hack that would prevent fishing ?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 07, 15:31:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Insim's the only hack I know of that fer sure can mess with fishing, but to test don't do each hack one-by-one. Narrow it down by halving your hacks folder. Put in one half, see if fishing works. If it doesn't, halve the half and see which one works so you know which 'pile' the broken hack is in. Keep going until you've narrowed it so far you're testing one by one. Still tedious but a bit faster.

Much faster than finding updates for all the hacks you're using for a new EP (and taking our or carefully testing any not updated) which really you should do. Any ones you don't feel like it's worth updating, or don't really miss when you remove them to test the EP, just leave out and your folder will get a bit more manageable Smiley

Unsouper
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 07, 15:53:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley Thanks for your help . Even though that would undoubtedly be a bit quicker though it would still mean me spending more time for weeks actually just testing rather than playing the game ( I have over 100 hacks in my game ) because I only get a session or two a week to play the game because of work anyway . I was just hoping someone might have a vague idea what sort of hack could be the culprit because none of the hacks I have scream out and say ' a possible suspect ' None of them look remotely like they should effect fishing and like I said the one that looked like the prime suspect turned out to be a red herring  Undecided ( no pun intended  Grin )
trudy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 07, 16:10:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you just need a clever algorithm. Asuming it is a single hack. Just take out half of them. If fishing is no possible you cleared half you hacks, go test half of the rest. Thats what I do, but maybee im just weird ;-)
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 08, 00:18:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley Thanks Trudy . But like I said to Sagana , that method would still take me absolutely ages because I don't get chance to play the game very often . I know you guys on here are pretty smart so I was hoping I could find at least what sort of area or type of hack I might be looking for to cut down the possibilities a fair bit otherwise I'd end up testing the game for several weeks to come and never actually get the chance to play it  Sad
twink
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 08, 00:30:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was using Monique's teleport here .. could not fish. Took it out and things are fine and last night she uploaded her Seasons teleport hack at MTS2.

I have tried to track down problems and the first thing I did was take out all my hacks and run the game and made sure a hack was the problem. I could not get my poker table to work and was going insane...found out the problem was I forgot to put 4 chairs at the table....haha

Stressed spelled backwards is desserts.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 08, 00:37:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bruce Banner, stop whining that you won't get to play for weeks and take the very good advice you have been given about how to test your hacks in an optimal way. Have you even read and understood what the posters are saying?

Alternatively take out all your hacks and play to your heart's content.

Sheesh.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 08, 00:43:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley Thanks Trudy . But like I said to Sagana , that method would still take me absolutely ages because I don't get chance to play the game very often.
I don't think you quite understand the math underlying a binary search. Binary searches are HELLAFAST. If you had 30000 hacks, you would have it pinned down to *ONE* within 16 restarts. If you do a proper binary search, you will find it FAST.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 08, 01:02:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh Binary search . I have no idea what a binary search is to be honest Pes . I'll definitely try it if I have a f*****g clue what you're supposed to do  Cheesy . Thanks for the advice Pes  Smiley And thanks for your help twink . And Witch , all I have done is ask for help in cutting the massive options down . I'll ignore the rude , snarky comments from you seeing as I haven't been rude to anyone in this thread and I've thanked everyone that's tried to help me . I'm not telling anyone to pinpoint the problem hack for me . I'm just asking for help to try and reduce the haystack in which I'm looking for the needle that's all  Angry
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 08, 01:11:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Take all your hacks. Divide them into two groups. Put one group in the game. Test the game. If fishing came back, you know that those hacks are NOT responsible. Divide the OTHER hacks in half and test. Divide in half again. And again. Until there is ONE left.

If you have 100 hacks, you can narrow it down to 1 hack in seven restarts of the game:

The last steps can be compacted a bit more once you know what you are doing.
« Last Edit: 2007 March 08, 01:16:20 by SaraMK » Logged

Fail.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 08, 01:20:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll ignore the rude , snarky comments from you seeing as I haven't been rude to anyone in this thread and I've thanked everyone that's tried to help me

No you just ignored, whined, ignored and whined. People politely helped you over and over again. You were given the help you required to manage your haystack, you weren't even willing to try the method.

Please don't ignore my rudeness, it was intentional.

Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 08, 01:22:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley Thanks for explaining it Sara . I'm shocked it would only take 6 restarts . I thought it would still take me several weeks down the line to find any problem . I guess that's what Pescado meant by by Binary uh . I thought he was talking some computer code jargon being the tech head that he is  Cheesy Thanks , I'll do that . And when I find the problem hack I'll post here to say what it is so the rest of you guys immediately know the problem if you can't fish ( and you don't have InSim installed )  Smiley
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 March 08, 01:25:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's Pescado's 30,000 hack example. I didn't totally believe it myself... but as usual he's right, it is 16 restarts.   Embarrassed

3 (or 4, works both ways)

Fail.
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 March 08, 01:34:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll ignore the rude , snarky comments from you seeing as I haven't been rude to anyone in this thread and I've thanked everyone that's tried to help me

No you just ignored, whined, ignored and whined. People politely helped you over and over again. You were given the help you required to manage your haystack, you weren't even willing to try the method.

Please don't ignore my rudeness, it was intentional.

Angry I didn't ignore anyone . I just didn't understand it that's all and didn't realise it would only take 6 attempts . I thought it would still take me weeks . I wasn't rude to anyone either . Just you were the one who came in with all guns blazing , so take your gun and stick it up yer arse . In the years I've been in the Sims community I've found that the biggest pains in the ass are those who think having a big post count gives someone the right to trample on and diss people . I used to let that effect me when I first started foruming in this community because the Sims community is well known for it's bullying attitude against so-called newbies ( everyone was a 'newb ' when they first started remember ) . I'm more of an old relic in this community now though so I've got wise to the arrogant bullshit from people who think they have power and let it corrupt them  Angry
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 March 08, 01:35:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's Pescado's 30,000 hack example. I didn't totally believe it myself... but as usual he's right, it is 16 restarts.   Embarrassed
Oh ye of little faith. When will you learn that I AM AWESOME?

Angry I didn't ignore anyone . I just didn't understand it that's all and didn't realise it would only take 6 attempts . I thought it would still take me weeks.
Hah! Weeks. Try 15 minutes, assuming it takes you about a minute to load the game and a minute to load a testlot and click and see if fishing is back.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 March 08, 01:44:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh ye of little faith. When will you learn that I AM AWESOME?

Angry I didn't ignore anyone . I just didn't understand it that's all and didn't realise it would only take 6 attempts . I thought it would still take me weeks.
Hah! Weeks. Try 15 minutes, assuming it takes you about a minute to load the game and a minute to load a testlot and click and see if fishing is back.

Well , it takes my game about 15 minutes to load . But yeah , 6 times is pretty good . Much better than the weeks I thought it was going to be . Thanks for your help Pes  Smiley
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 March 08, 01:44:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just you were the one who came in with all guns blazing , so take your gun and stick it up yer arse . In the years I've been in the Sims community I've found that the biggest pains in the ass are those who think having a big post count gives someone the right to trample on and diss people . I used to let that effect me when I first started foruming in this community because the Sims community is well known for it's bullying attitude against so-called newbies ( everyone was a 'newb ' when they first started remember ) . I'm more of an old relic in this community now though so I've got wise to the arrogant bullshit from people who think they have power and let it corrupt them  Angry

The only power I have, I give myself. If you'd like to give me some post-count-power too, well thanks. I called you on your whining, guess I pushed those buttons.  Grin

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 March 08, 01:50:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well , it takes my game about 15 minutes to load . But yeah , 6 times is pretty good . Much better than the weeks I thought it was going to be . Thanks for your help Pes  Smiley

WHY?

You never want to test hacks while having all your custom stuff installed. Take everything but the hacks out. There is no computer in existence, as far as I know, that can play Sims 2 and yet takes 15 minutes to load it when there is no custom content installed.

Fail.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 March 08, 01:53:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's overhead related to the amount of crap in your game. It will load faster when the crap in your game is reduced by half.

Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 March 08, 01:58:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Undecided I've never loaded a lot yet to be honest without having custom content enabled . Thats why when I install a new expansion I always load the game up again after it gets to the Maxis warning bit , rather than loading up a lot  Undecided
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 March 08, 10:59:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's overhead related to the amount of crap in your game. It will load faster when the crap in your game is reduced by half.

Smiley Thanks , I'll try it without custom content on a bare lot then  Smiley
abelle
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 March 08, 11:53:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You donīt even need to use a bare lot. Just donīt save after you tested on one of your lots. When you are finished troubleshooting and your content is back in downloads, your lot will still have all the cc, as you didnīt save it without it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: