More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 03:19:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  tunnel vision parenting
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: tunnel vision parenting  (Read 10592 times)
slurpeefiend
Feckless Fool

get a head of the competition...

View Profile
tunnel vision parenting
« on: 2007 March 08, 14:29:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a way to activate all of the "encourage" options so that sim parents can undo some of the severely lopsided personalities of their children, rather than being limited to encouraging only those attributes they as parents possess?  I like cheating as little as possible and don't want to resorting to an outright cheat like the InSimenator to do this.

Why oh why didn't I take the red pill?
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
Re: tunnel vision parenting
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 08, 16:58:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grandparents are your friends? I mean, unless you want to change personality points with boolprop (definitely cheaty), try looking around at other family members. Grandparents can encourage kids who come over for a visit.

slurpeefiend
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 09, 06:28:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grandparents are your friends? I mean, unless you want to change personality points with boolprop (definitely cheaty), try looking around at other family members. Grandparents can encourage kids who come over for a visit.
For various reasons I've never been able to keep a neighborhood around long enough to actually produce some grandparents (i'm still working on trying to graduate my first batch of students from college for the fourth time now).  I hope one day to be able to create a modified mirror that will allow sims to encourage themselves into a new personality, but until then I'm looking for alternative ways to balance them out.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 09, 09:14:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aunts and uncles also have encouraging power.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
slurpeefiend
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 09, 10:04:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aunts and uncles also have encouraging power.
None of those either... same reason as above.

My approach to sims has always been to start a neighborhood, nuke its inhabitants, and build a bunch of my own sims.  After a few test neighborhoods I started one that was supposed to be my one and only neighborhood that I had absolute control over.  The whole neighborhood was wiped out in a freak accident.  I tried again, but this time I overpopulated my neighborhood and set it aside for a while.  I'm trying two new experiments in sims.  The first a neighborhood with all default characters and their babies, and only one playable family and their descendants (usually only one baby allowed per family, unless twins change that, then one lives a childless life).  The second is a neighborhood free of the crappy default characters, four families each allowed only two children per generation (none of this "multiply and replenish the hood" philosophy that clogged my old neighborhood).

Bottom line, I've never developed a neighborhood enough to have these kinds of relationships.  This is why I don't run for mayor in real life... all of my towns either blow up, burn to the ground, or are swept clean of life in an undesirable way.

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 09, 10:38:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like you should try playing a legacy, just to get you past Gen 2.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 09, 11:26:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I've decided to do, I've never made it past Gen 2. This time I have ONE family. I usually start with an assortment of lots, by the time the kids move out I have 10 lots to play and it starts becoming a task to play them all equally.

Also starting that way, I tend to have boring nuclear families, instead of the more interesting storylines that happen during play.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 09, 12:05:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, you need to get a family to Gen 4 or 5 before you get interesting fake wife twists, and people with 3 bolts for their great-aunts.

Weaver
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 09, 12:16:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I typically restart neighbourhoods frequently, and are always usually themed. At the moment, I started eight families off with the prior hood first generation characters as toddlers. The smart milk bug is awesome. No townies at the moment, though a few generations on I'll have to generate to keep a legacy going. My best experience was doing the Asylum challenge and in the end retaining the hood long after completion. Planning new hoods appears to be my specialty, just not keeping interest in continuing a concept.

Squinge made an Encourage Anyone hack which can allow friends of the family to help out.
http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=15986
slurpeefiend
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 09, 13:32:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Squinge made an Encourage Anyone hack which can allow friends of the family to help out.
http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=15986
Thanks for the lead.  I was dreading having to dig through his whole catalog to find something like this.  I'd still rather have parents able to encourage all traits (on both sides of the meters), but this will have to do until I can actually learn modding and figure out how to make my daily affirmation mirror.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 09, 21:22:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a way to activate all of the "encourage" options so that sim parents can undo some of the severely lopsided personalities of their children, rather than being limited to encouraging only those attributes they as parents possess?  I like cheating as little as possible and don't want to resorting to an outright cheat like the InSimenator to do this.
Well, the quality of a "lopsided" attribute is often a matter of opinion in many cases, but encouraging is intended to work in this way. It's pretty hard to encourage someone to do one thing when you yourself insist on doing the wrong thing!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 09, 22:11:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the quality of a "lopsided" attribute is often a matter of opinion in many cases, but encouraging is intended to work in this way. It's pretty hard to encourage someone to do one thing when you yourself insist on doing the wrong thing!

Aww, no "do as I say, not as I do"?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 March 10, 05:30:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aww, no "do as I say, not as I do"?
That never works out well in real life anyway. Your kids just grow up to be lying hypocrites like you.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
moniquinin
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 March 10, 16:53:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe though, parents can learn from their frack ups and encourage their kids to do better/the opposite?  I didn't know this is how the game worked since right now, I've only got babies and I haven't been able to play past that yet.  If we're going for what's realistic, parents should be able to encourage their kids to do everything, not just the qualities/skills whatever they have, but the effect of said encouragement should be stronger with those attributes the parents actually have. Then again, I know people who turned out to be the opposite of what their parents encouraged them to be, having had (the parents) those attributes.

Question:  I've seen this referred to countless times but am not sure what it is...what's a Legacy family, actually?

1. I am a Mac person so DO NOT refer me to Simpe!!!!
2. English is NOT my first language so please forgive any mistakes.
3. My dog loves to eat chicken shit.
gjam
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 March 10, 17:14:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Question:  I've seen this referred to countless times but am not sure what it is...what's a Legacy family, actually?

http://www.legacychallenge.com

Now playing: UNI, NL, OFB, & Pets
slurpeefiend
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 March 10, 22:52:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

By "lopsided" I mean personalities that are going to lead to behavior that will annoy me if I don't control their every move, and even then require some cheats to override other obnoxious stuff.  Maybe it would be easier to randomize all baby personalities as a matter of policy from now on, since in my real family none of us four child bear any personality resemblance to either of our parents or to each other.  Realism, and all that crap.

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 March 10, 23:11:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do tend to want to make all sims uber-active and uber-neat (except emailers, when I had my gutful of slobs), and to encourage them not to be too mean, and not so playful that they can't meditate... but then all their personalities start to get more and more similar.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 March 11, 00:55:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tend to lean towards the uber-active as well, because there's really no drawback to it. Not to mention the inability to actually get anywhere is enough to inspire homicidal rage. The other personality traits I'm indifferent to, as they're largely zero-sum. Except niceness. I like my sims to be MEAN! MEAN, I tell you!

V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 March 11, 01:26:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If for some reason that hack doesn't work  out for you, you should know that older siblings can encourage younger ones also. And they can continue to encourage their younger siblings pretty much forever, I think.

If you don't mind cheating "just a little" then you could create a CAS teen with the "right" attributes and force him or her into your family in any variety of less than perfectly honest ways. You could also create a CAS aunt or uncle or grandparent, for that matter.

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 March 11, 03:20:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CAS grandparents always seem to pop their clogs so quickly. You need to make a really happy one and keep him/her topped up with elixir.

Moon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 March 11, 03:38:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm so happy to see I'm not the only one who never gets much past the first Gen.... I've finally started my legacy family for exaclty this reason.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 March 11, 03:51:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* Lil Brudder laughs.

Pop their clogs!

That's a new one.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 March 11, 06:18:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it a myth that grandparents get faster results when encouraging children?

Fail.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 March 11, 06:33:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No myth.  The bigger the age difference between the encourager and the encouragee, the faster the encouragement goes.
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 March 11, 13:46:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like my sims to be MEAN! MEAN, I tell you!

You'd love my second generation then. From perfectly nice, adorable sim-parents, I had 8 kids from different families, all with good personality combos, except they were all MEAN. 1 Nice point for each. Had to do something about that of course Cheesy hehe
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: