More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 04:47:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Can this kind of Housekeeping be done in BodyShop?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can this kind of Housekeeping be done in BodyShop?  (Read 6308 times)
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
Can this kind of Housekeeping be done in BodyShop?
« on: 2007 March 03, 18:47:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just read a thread on how to remove appearance-related cc from the game to save on space (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=84495) but my game gets kooky in CAS about 50% of the time and crashes on me. I deleted a bunch of stuff in BS and it initially borked my game, but now the game seems happier.

Also, I think I have far too many skins. I'm 90% sure no Sims are using most of them. Again, can I zap these in BS, and are skin files generally pretty big? Or, put another way, what custom content is best to delete, generally speaking, to gain the most filespace back for loading time reduction?

Cheers in advance for any enlightenment bestowed.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
Re: Can this kind of Housekeeping be done in BodyShop?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 04, 16:03:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

in my opinion, custom mesh stuff slows loading time more then anything else

as for deleting skintones, go right ahead. If any sims do happen to be using them they will just get one of the 4 original  S1-S4 (or the default replacement if you have them) skintones.

Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 04, 16:06:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...and are skin files generally pretty big? Or, put another way, what custom content is best to delete, generally speaking, to gain the most filespace back for loading time reduction? ...

Basically, skin files are one of the biggest files. Things such as beds and cars can be really bad too, though. The larger the mesh is, the bigger the file.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 04, 18:54:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you!

Again, though, the original post suggests doing it in CAS. Can I do it in Bodyshop and get the same result? I suspect that the answer is yes, but Bodyshop wasn't even mentioned as an option.

I am probably being too paranoid and overcautious, but I'm tired of Sims-related headaches. Time to concentrate on NVidia-related ones.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 05, 05:58:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yes you can do it in Bodyshop  Grin
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 05, 07:20:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Semi-OT, but have you found yourself reducing your CC as you add EPs (and maybe SPs)?  As more and more nice official stuff gets added to the game, I've found myself deleting older CC that I pretty much no longer use every time I play now. 

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
cheriem
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 05, 10:41:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, I find the same or I'm also finding I'm using more and more Maxis meshes for recolors that I'm doing myself. Cheesy

RenegadeSims
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 05, 11:41:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Keep in mind that deleting skins in CAS or BodyShop does not mean it's corresponding mesh will be deleted.  That will have to be done manually.

*RenegadeSims
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 05, 15:57:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish that creators did more recolors of Maxis meshes.  It almost seems to be a snobby thing, that you must use a mesh or you're an amateur or something. 

For example, it's very difficult to find recolors of Maxis hair.  Although there are some pretty nice maxis hair meshes in the game.  But I hate Maxis textures.  Black is not black enough, the red is unatural, the blond is too yellow and brash and the brown and the rest of the colors are too flat.  Blah.

Oh yeah, use bodyshop by all means.  It loads faster and deletes faster than CAS.  I wish that Maxis would have provided us with better means to delete stuff.  Like the possibility of tagging files for deletion.  Or maybe just not kicking you back to the beginning of the catalogue everytime you delete something. 

edit:  added missing word.
« Last Edit: 2007 March 06, 07:06:26 by angelyne » Logged
Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 06, 02:19:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree, some of the Maxis hair meshes are really nice and the only one I've got some decent recolours for are that very short one where the hair comes right over one eye. I think it was introduced in Nightlife. I wish their were more recolours for some of the other styles.
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 06, 02:24:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also think that people should do more recolours of maxis meshes. Because additional meshes make loading times slower. Sad

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 06, 02:31:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish that Maxis would have provided us with better means to delete stuff.  Like the possibility of tagging files for deletion.  Or maybe just kicking you back to the beginning of the catalogue everytime you delete something.
What's wrong with DEL *.*?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 March 06, 03:23:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh yeah, use bodyshop by all means.  It loads faster and deletes faster than CAS.  I wish that Maxis would have provided us with better means to delete stuff.  Like the possibility of tagging files for deletion.  Or maybe just kicking you back to the beginning of the catalogue everytime you delete something. 

I assume a "not" was left out of the last sentence, because I agree with that annoyance. Hate that. Especially fun in hair section when it defaults to first page of black hair.

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 March 06, 03:30:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Genensims have done recolours of maxis hairs, at least the ones from the base game (last time I looked).  I use their apricot red hairs in my game, as it's close to my natural hair colour.  They have a range of "normal" colours, as well as a range of recolours that most of us would be unlikely to use in our games.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 March 06, 07:12:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish that Maxis would have provided us with better means to delete stuff.  Like the possibility of tagging files for deletion.  Or maybe just kicking you back to the beginning of the catalogue everytime you delete something.
What's wrong with DEL *.*?

DEL *.* is a special command reserved especially for those who whine about their game taking 10 minutes or more to load.  Garanteed to speed your game loading time or your money back.

Thanks for that tip Kyna.  The hair looks good "on paper". I'll check it out in the game tonight after I'm done with the earn-the-paycheck-so-you-can-play-the-sims crapola.
« Last Edit: 2007 March 06, 07:20:45 by angelyne » Logged
Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 March 09, 11:45:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Kyna, they seem to have loads of good recolours, I'll definitely be trying some out in my game.

I hate the way CAS kicks you back to the beginning of the black hair category every time you delete anything. It's especially annoying when each page of hair takes ages to load and each hair takes ages to delete, I've spent hours deleting stuff from in game before because of that. Of course it all runs faster now but I'm sure there are easier ways of doing it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: