More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 17:43:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Quick Question about File Maintenance before Seasons Install
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Quick Question about File Maintenance before Seasons Install  (Read 6262 times)
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
Quick Question about File Maintenance before Seasons Install
« on: 2007 March 03, 15:53:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sometimes renaming my folders works to make the game overlook them, and sometimes it reads custom content in renamed files. I'm not 100% clear WHEN it does one or the other. I'm busily trimming my DL folder and segregating hacks (already segregated into degrees of awesomeness and not-so-awesome-ness, which has already make my life slightly less stressful).

The most recent "prepping for install" thread at MTS2 is geared for NL. Been there, done that. Any new info I should know? I got everything at once in January and had my share of irritation and blue screening and driver hell and clashing hacks (some awesome hacks fought it out, too) and CAS crashes and the usual petz annoyances like imported bodyshopped custom sims morphing into bland Maxian defaults when created as a family in CAS and imported into a lot and blah and foo and bar.

My Plan Of Attack:

Stock up on caffeine and ibuprofin.

Clear wall space for head bangage, if required

Comfy seat

Round up all prior EP CDs and codes *just in case*

Have NeedUpdates.txt and CleanMods.txt lists at hand

Remove NeedUpdates hacks and mods from Downloads

Insert caffeine.

Attempt to pry self away from more DLs, segregate

Insert caffeine.  Insert caffeine.  Insert caffeine.

Set shiny pared-down Downloads folder aside, far away from Sims 2 folder (yes?)

I have to back up Gunmod's Cameras, and the folder is small, so I'll segregate Cameras. Yes / No?

Collections folders are supposedly unborkable. Do I trust this?

Config: remove my userStartup.cheat file. NOTE: aliases NEVER work for me, and using them means none of the other cheats work. Woe. Tears.

LockedBins: kissingpoints pet crap. Whatever. Don't care. Unlocked and still couldn't make a bandit cat in CAS and haven't tried mirror appearance change yet. Is that how it works, or should it work in CAS?

Logs: whatever.
LotCatalog: supposedly unborkable. Is it?

Movies: none. Lazy.

Music: vital, but supposedly unborkable. Would be a hassle to redo, though, even with Music Manager tool. Advice?

Insert caffeine. Optional chocolate infusion.

Neighborhoods: must move far away from Sims 2 folder. Correct?

PackagedSims: I made a ferret cat. Yay me. I should move it if I decide I care enough to save it, or no?

Paintings: What? Where did all these bad photos of dogs come from?

PetBreeds: presumably unborkable, but who knows? Do you?

Projects: none. Lazy AND busy.

SavedSims: two, but I believe they were already imported to game. Keep?

SC4terrains: I have a half dozen custom ones, five of which aren't used. Back up?

Storytelling: pix. OK, I'll back those up.

Teleport: nada

Thumbnails: five mystery packages. Back up?

*.cache files: remove prior to install?

Insert caffeine.

I have Gunmod's Lights, which I am still ambivalent about, but I also have the most recent autoinstaller at hand. So I can reinstall if I decide I like dark shadowyness in return for lighting perks. Any better ideas?

Optional nap here.

Then the usual hell of having to copy over the CD and do the Disk1, Disk2 thing, I ASSUME, though I've mislaid the link and will have to go Googling for it to make sure I don't flark up. Maybe the game will shock me by installing properly the first time.

Insert caffeine.
Insert caffeine.  Smiley
Insert caffeine.  Grin
Curse.
Consider prayer.
Insert caffeine. Grin Grin Grin

Test game. Marvel at lightning fast load time compared to load time with usual bloated DL folder. Ogle new hood. Poke, but not with pointy stick. Click on various new crap, say "ooh" or "argh" as is appropriate. Insert caffeine. Do not touch old lots without CC in game. Do not save.

Return customized content to game folder from Double Secret Non-EA Folder.

If all goes well, DLs will load and game will load and happy happy joy joy mindless funsies time.

If all goes poorly, remove large quantity of hair from head, don sackcloth and ashes, lament.

(Insert caffeine regardless.)

Have hours -- if not days! -- of fun attempting to insert CC back into game.

Any reports on CC (not hacks/mods) stuff that is absofrigginglutely borked by Seasons, or are we fortunate this time? I'm hearing encouraging murmurs from the Peanut Gallery (FWIW, not old enough to recall this pop culture reference in person, but I have weird parents and grandparents).

Lastly, fulfill Bladder, Social, Hunger, Fatigue, Comfort needs before starting game. Set motivedecay off.

Insert caffeine.

The end?

Help!  Huh

« Last Edit: 2007 March 03, 16:02:26 by Lorelei » Logged

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Quick Question about File Maintenance before Seasons Install
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 03, 16:02:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm planning to navigate to My Documents/EA Games and renaming my The Sims 2 folder something like The Sims 2 So The Stupid Installer Cant Find It.  Then I'll drag everything back bit by bit after the installation.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 03, 16:09:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm planning to navigate to My Documents/EA Games and renaming my The Sims 2 folder something like The Sims 2 So The Stupid Installer Cant Find It.  Then I'll drag everything back bit by bit after the installation.

Hee!

So that works during install? I tried testing hack conflicts by renaming Downloads and the game FOUND THEM. It's like twins, it only shows signs of possible AI when you don't want it to.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 03, 16:09:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I need a good dose of caffeine just to read this through Tongue

Good lord that sounds like a great example of making something complicated when it isn't.  Just make a backup of your neighbourdhood for sure, and your entire The Sims 2 folder, if you are paranoid.

Remove your hacks, store them somewhere they will never seen the life of day again.  Create a new hacks folder and start over with the hacks that are known to work.

Hmmm. Dunno about careers ...did you even mention that ?

Oh, and if you don't want the new families (2) that come with Seasons, pre-empt them by installing the blank template, before launching the game for the first time..  See peasantry for more info.

That's it.  Put your ibuprofin back. Relax and enjoy.

Oh.  And rather than trying to rename your folders to prevent them loading, leave them where they are, but zip them instead. (delete the orginal, obviously).  That works 100%.

And, I should mention that I decided to start over with a clean download folder, except for my clothes, skin, eyes, and makeup. Maybe not surprisingly, everything has been pretty bug free.  Best prescription for bloat.  Way better than caffeine and ibuprofin.

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 03, 16:11:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you rename the folder, the game will create a brand new game.  You won't loose your old one, but you'll have to put stuff back or rename it back to The Sims 2
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 03, 16:17:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I figure if Seasons or its installer somehow screws up and I have to uninstall it, it will only delete the "new" The Sims 2 folder that it created.  My "real" game and downloads will be safe in the renamed folder.

You're right.  Renaming Downloads doesn't work.  You have to rename The Sims 2 folder.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 03, 16:41:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I need a good dose of caffeine just to read this through Tongue

Good lord that sounds like a great example of making something complicated when it isn't.  Just make a backup of your neighbourdhood for sure, and your entire The Sims 2 folder, if you are paranoid.

I'm TOTALLY paranoid, after dealing with Simz bugs (and new computer bugs) for the past six weeks. Age of new computer? Seven weeks. Heh!

So, OK, just move everything out, let game do its thing, cross fingers that it works, then start loading CC and updated hacks back in. Easy enough!

Ta v. much!

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 03, 17:09:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh you can never go wrong when you got a good backup.  Go nuts!
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 04, 02:39:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huzzah! Am running Seasons vanilla (mostly, am trickling hacks in as I go) and the only borkage is apparently NVidia-related, not Sims-related. (Anyone got a copy of Driver Cleaner? I'm this><close to chucking out the current buggy driver.)

Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 04, 04:57:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My prepping for seasons kinda went as follows:

- Take Downloads Folder out
- Delete custom neighbourhoods and reinstall the default ones (I likes a fresh start, me)
- Install game
- Load up game, marvel at shineyness, snork around a bit and poke stuff
- Take 'mods and hacks' section out of downloads folder, put everything else back
- Load up game to check if stuff works. Poke things to see if they don't explode (everything works, teh huzzah!)
- Search around for mods n hacks that have been updated. Download updated/okayed stuff. Stay off the other shineyness, no matter how much my mod-spoiled inner simmer whines

- Have a cleansey game without any bugs so far (touch wood)
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 04, 07:02:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pretty much what I did Nepheris.  I was already in the process of starting over from scratch when Seasons sneaked up on me.  I suffer badly from download bloat combined with a download addiction.  A nasty combo. Is there a twelve step program for that ?

One good thing about starting fresh with hacks as well, is it reminds you of the awesomeness of modders and how the game would suck without them.

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 04, 11:19:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have two.

Could you possibly have a DVD version or something?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 March 04, 14:32:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Death to all Nesses.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 March 04, 19:55:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My prepping for seasons kinda went as follows:

- Take Downloads Folder out
- Delete custom neighbourhoods and reinstall the default ones (I likes a fresh start, me)
- Install game
- Load up game, marvel at shineyness, snork around a bit and poke stuff
- Take 'mods and hacks' section out of downloads folder, put everything else back
- Load up game to check if stuff works. Poke things to see if they don't explode (everything works, teh huzzah!)
- Search around for mods n hacks that have been updated. Download updated/okayed stuff. Stay off the other shineyness, no matter how much my mod-spoiled inner simmer whines

- Have a cleansey game without any bugs so far (touch wood)

I do the opposite re: CC and hacks. I put the hacks in first, see whaty, if anything, makes the game blow chunks, then once the hacks are all playing nicely with each other and I've poked the shinyness enough, I load back in CC a bit at a time.

ETA: Ness, were you saying you have two copies of Driver Cleaner, or replying to something else in the thread. If the former, then, yes, I have a Blu-Ray / DVD / CD readable/writable drive. Don't get too envious, it's in an XP Media Centre lappy, and this OS is apparently bloated, unfun and buggy.

Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 March 04, 20:31:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have two.

Could you possibly have a DVD version or something?

My apologies to Ness.  He/She was replying to a message I had originally posted here, but decided to delete and post in a different thread.  Embarrassed

And yes I since discovered that it comes on one dvd or 2 cd's.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 March 04, 21:37:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

blargh!
* Ness is a she.

Why is this not obvious?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 March 04, 21:40:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's your hairy belly. And death to all Nesses.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: