More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 12:13:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Video Card Upgrade
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Video Card Upgrade  (Read 13787 times)
KLGFCG
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Video Card Upgrade
« on: 2007 March 02, 19:08:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I know there are lots of threads on PC upgrading but I didn't want to hijack, so here's the forty millionth thread devoted to computer upgrades. With Seasons, the game has decided that it hates my graphics card. I can get around it but in the interest of avoiding future problems with new EP's, I'm going to just get a new video card. I think I know what I want: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8045652&st=ATI+video+card&lp=7&type=product&cp=1&id=1158316215209     Any objections or other suggestions? Also, this is my computer set-up, http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/4364/4364sp3.shtml  Does anyone see any problems with power supply, etc. that I might encounter if I upgrade? I have a tendency to miss important tidbits so I figured I'd run it by others before going to the store tomorrow. Thanks.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
Re: Video Card Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 02, 19:39:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't get it from Best Buy. The price you see is high, even on sale, and then read this They've been running a scam in-store, where they take you to what you think is the BB site, except it doesn't show sales, and then won't sell it to you at the sale price.

Get it from Newegg

But yes, I'm almost positive you'll need to replace the power supply. To check for sure, open the case and see what's written on the side of it. It should say something along the lines of "max 350w" somewhere on it.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 02, 20:42:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here are the specs on that card:

System Requirements

* PCI Express™ based PC is required with one x16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard and one additional adjacent expansion slot.
        * Connection to the system power supply is required:
              o 450-Watt power supply or greater, 30 Amps on 12 volt rail recommended (assumes fully loaded system)
        * For CrossFire™: 550 watt power supply or greater, 38 Amps on 12 volt rail

You might check your Gateway documentation to see if you're going to need to add a card fan for additional cooling.

Neat card!
KLGFCG
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 02, 23:30:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well crap. I was hoping the power supply wouldn't need to be changed. Not to be a complete wuss here, but how difficult will it be to install a new power supply and video card? I was reasonably okay with doing the card but I don't even know where the power supply is located. I don't really have anyone who can help me (short of taking it to a store) if I screw everything up. I'm not a complete idiot (well, I guess I haven't done it yet so maybe I shouldn't make rash judgments) but I also don't want to trash my computer. Uhg.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 03, 00:50:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you open the case, it's the big block at the top with the wires coming out of it.

It's not at all hard to change the power supply. Unplug everything, taking note of where things are plugged in (generally 1 into the motherboard and then one per drive, fan, card, etc), take out 4 screws, slide it out, put the new one in, put the screws in, plug everything back in.  I can almost guarantee that a stock gateway isn't going to come with a 450w power supply. You'll have 350w if you're lucky, and not having enough power will make you freeze, restart, and have all kinds of odd errors.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 03, 05:43:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't really have anyone who can help me (short of taking it to a store) if I screw everything up.

You can Google your questions and get tons of info.  Installation instructions come with the card, but you can also visit the ATI site and knowledge base.

If you do run into trouble, stay away from box stores.  Find a local computer shop and take it there.  Or check with your local library for recommendations.  They use computers, too.  Smiley

KLGFCG
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 04, 16:42:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all the advice. I've poked around inside the tower and read some tuts online and I'm reasonably confident I can do this. Now I'm just getting my order ready on Newegg (great site!!). As far as the power supply goes, should I buy the minimal required (450-500W) or should I go all out and get a supply with more power (700W?). I don't necessarily know that I'll be upgrading the computer again, but I don't want to get the minimum and need to change it again later. Is there any benefit to more watts or would it just be overkill?
Also, on Newegg some of the reviews (not all, though) mentioned that the card I want tends to run hot. Should I get anything else for cooling purposes (fan, thermal paste stuff, Huh) or just see how it does? Any suggestions for a particular product if I should add something for temp control?
Thanks again for the pointers, I feel like such a dork getting so worried but I just don't want to FUBAR my computer. Geez, I tell you, Sims has taught me more about computers than any class I've ever taken (I know how to word process, thanks, can I just get my 4.0 now?).
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 04, 17:41:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Newegg is awesome. It's where I got all the pieces parts for my computer. They're really great about stuff.

Don't be too intimdated by the power supply. Good luck with it.

KLGFCG
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 05, 02:59:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whew, I think I'm hyperventilating. I did it... I ordered the graphics card I wanted, a 700w power supply (I finally found some sites that spoke enough idiot for me to at least get the message that more power = good), and 4 MB of RAM. I figured if I was going to do it, I was going to do it right. I've debated getting more RAM for some time (yeah, the specs I posted say it's only upgradeable to 2 MB but the documentation from purchase show it's good up to 4 MB and I visually verified that there are four slots) and I figured if I'm going to go through the effort to do the power supply and graphics card, I may as well just do the RAM, too. I don't even want to think about how much I spent, but I haven't treated myself to anything in a very long time, so what the hell. Thanks again for all the support. I did overnight shipping (what's another few dollars on a bill that big?) so I should have it this week. Anybody know how fast Newegg usually processes orders? Now I just need to psych myself up for the big installation project. Eesh, deep calming breaths over here.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 05, 03:09:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you mean 4 GB for RAM. 4 MB wouldn't get you far.  Cheesy

Newegg is usually very,very good about processing orders. I wouldn't be surprised if it shipped tomorrow, and certainly no later than Tuesday.

- Kurt Vonnegut
KLGFCG
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 05, 03:32:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL, that's what I get for posting when I'm tired and reeling from my purchase. Yes, those MB's should definitely be GB's.  Roll Eyes Let's hope I'm in a better state when I actually go to install these things.
Akharra
Corpulent Cretin

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 05, 07:11:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good Luck!

Please let me know how it goes. I am about to install a new power supply also. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Formerly known as Tess.

All those that believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 March 05, 10:47:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I post here, just to avoid a new thread on this topic.

I have to buy a new video card too, and I read all your advices with interest, but maybe I need a much less powerful card.

In short, I have a PC I use for SimPE only - it was built as a server, ages ago, so it doesn't have a great video/3d equipment: a ATI Rage Pro 2X AGP with 8Mb RAM.
I suspect that's because of that, I'm not be able to have previews in SimPE - even with managed directX correctly installed.

So, I would have a new, slightly better, video card, but newbie as I am in PC/Win stuff, I would simply go to the next mall, buy the card (any brand) with the lowest price and hoping it will work on my PC and will give me SimPE previews.

Any advice on what I have to do would be greatly appreciated: my PC specs are AMD Athlon 1.24 GHz (I suspect overclocked to 1.66), 384 Mb RAM (but I will buy more along with the video card), MS Windows XP Pro SP2.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 March 06, 02:00:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, your rig would make a fine addition to the Archaeological Museum, Marhis Wink
Ok, joking aside, I think the best you could get for your PC is a Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB, like this one...it's becoming quite extinct, but you might find some still. You'll see some improvement, that's for certain, but the low RAM bottleneck will still be there. Provided you can still find RAM that works with your motherboard, upgrade to AT LEAST 512MB, 1 GB would be even better.
But to be perfectly honest with you, even if you find RAM it'll cost you more than it's worth, and then you'll be stranded with a processor that's running pitifully slow for a game like TS2. So what I would recommend is: start saving up money and buy a new computer. You can get a rig fully capable of handling TS2 with ease for $600-$700.
Btw guys (and girls, of course...and those that haven't made up their mind yet, too!), there's a stickied thread that deals with building/upgrading your PCs for TS2...it's here  Wink

Let the Beast inside you free!
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 March 06, 04:09:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks! I hope I will find the card and the ram; heh I know it's crap (I payed it 20 €  Grin), anyway luckily I don't have to use it for TS2, only for SimPE, that's why I didn't ask for really "good" PCs  able to run TS2 (I run TS2 on Mac).

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
herefortheparty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 March 06, 19:28:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi, I'm a lurker who just joined. I thought I would jump in and ask if I just screwed up with the new video card I ordered. Its a GeForce FX5200 256m. I currently have the FX5500 128mb card. My system has 2g ram and my cpu is AMD Athalon 64 3200+ and I have a 550w PSU (Custom build, not box pc's for me!). Since installing Seasons, I've had to use the useshaders cheat to see the fish in the ponds, always had to for the tanks. But I get tons of lag on my larger lots when it rains or snows. I was hoping more memory on the card would solve that problem. I sure hope I didn't just waste $80~

Any advice?
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 March 06, 19:46:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why in the heck would you DOWNGRADE your card? More memory on the card won't do any good, and the older/slower card will just make the game lag worse.  Can you cancel the order? Where did you order it from? You have to call Newegg, but they'll cancel for you, as long as it hasn't already shipped.

- Kurt Vonnegut
herefortheparty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 March 06, 22:04:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't realize I was downgrading. I thought, apparently erroneously, that more ram on the card was an upgrade. I bought it from TigerDirect. And I know its been shipped already. Bought it last night, shipped it early this morning. I'll have to check what their exchange policy is. TigerDirect is where I buy most of the pc components I purchase from but I've never had to exchange anything. What would you recommend for a PCI slot? (Just PCI, not PCI-e
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 March 06, 22:58:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First of all, you're probably better off switching to an ATI card, as far as TS2 is concerned.  I found an x1300   Newegg has it for $5 less outright, plus their shipping is less, on top of that.

- Kurt Vonnegut
Pythia
Asinine Airhead

Just lurking

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 March 06, 23:11:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't realize I was downgrading. I thought, apparently erroneously, that more ram on the card was an upgrade. I bought it from TigerDirect. And I know its been shipped already. Bought it last night, shipped it early this morning. I'll have to check what their exchange policy is. TigerDirect is where I buy most of the pc components I purchase from but I've never had to exchange anything. What would you recommend for a PCI slot? (Just PCI, not PCI-e

I'm stuck with only a PCI slot too. Choices are pretty limited I'm afraid. I asked around and I think it was Cwykes who recommended an ATI Radeon 9250 with 256 mb for PCI. I upgraded last summer so hopefully they are still around. I have had no issues with the card at all and can put most settings on high. I upped my ram to 2gb as well which probably helps. I get a little lag on very large lots and snow and rain do slow it down very slightly.
If anyone can recommend a better card for our antiquated PCI slot machines I'd be interested to hear about it too.
herefortheparty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 March 07, 01:26:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First of all, you're probably better off switching to an ATI card, as far as TS2 is concerned.  I found an x1300   Newegg has it for $5 less outright, plus their shipping is less, on top of that.

Smiley Thank you for the information. I'm going to call TigerDirect in the morning and see if there is any way I can get a refund or exchange.

I think the problem with knowing what card to get is in not knowing what to look for in a video card. What would you recommend for others to research before deciding on what card to get? If its not ram, then what specifically do you look for?

Again, I appreciate your willingness to shed some light and give advice on this. I can piece together systems from the ground up but as far as I've gotten in to it, a video card is a video card and I would love to know more about what makes one kick butt as opposed to just barely getting the job done.

Pythia, its hard to believe that when you consider I built this pc just a little over a year ago that it is already so outdated. Technology moves way too fast sometimes!  Wink
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 March 07, 02:04:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the problem with knowing what card to get is in not knowing what to look for in a video card. What would you recommend for others to research before deciding on what card to get? If its not ram, then what specifically do you look for?

(random suggestions deleted after being edited a billion times)

Bleh...it's hard to write a good guide when at work. Let me point you too to the direction of this thread, which contains everything I could think of as guidelines, and then some!

Let the Beast inside you free!
KLGFCG
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 March 07, 06:15:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, my items are out for delivery per the tracking site so I should have them in the next few hours. Everybody perform a ritual sacrifice to the computer gods for me - I'm hoping installation of everything goes smoothly. Actually, I'll probably put it off till tomorrow since I'll have the whole day to install and (hopefully) play. I figure I'll do the RAM first then move on to the power supply then finally the video card.

A couple last minute questions... when installing the 4 new RAM sticks what's the best way to do it-- all at once, one by one, pairs? Should I remove all my 512 mb sticks before I start adding the 1 gb's or should I do it in parts and check that the new RAM is being recognized between installing each stick? Also, will TS2 automatically "detect" the new video card when it comes to deciding on my default settings, etc. or will I have to do something to make it realize that I've switched (I'll be seriously pissed if I install this thing and it still tries to default me to low settings!)?

I've been trying to read up on all this stuff (including Hegelian's awesome thread) but I am most definitely non-awesome and I find myself glazing over as soon as the technobabble starts. Then it's all BFBVFS in my head. Thanks again for all the help.
herefortheparty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 March 07, 07:07:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

KLGFGC, now this is something I know about unlike picking out the right card. I would install the power supply first, then the ram and then the video card. Not that the order as far as the ram and PSU matters, I just think it makes more sense.
As far as the game recognizing the card, I'm sure it will do just fine.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 March 07, 07:09:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

when installing the 4 new RAM sticks what's the best way to do it-- all at once, one by one, pairs?

Read your computer documentation as on some machines, you have to install in a certain slot order.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: