More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 16:57:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Video Card Upgrade
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Video Card Upgrade  (Read 14022 times)
KLGFCG
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Video Card Upgrade
« Reply #25 on: 2007 March 11, 17:08:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I figured I'd update this and hopefully get a little bit more advice with a problem I'm having.

The video card upgrade was beyond easy-- the hardest part was getting the old card out (the retaining clip didn't want to let go) but putting in the new card was effortless. I did initially forget to plug in the power to the card (duh- but see below, after all that hassle, I was frazzled) but my computer cheerfully screamed at me when I tried to turn it on with a nice helpful "plug in your card dumbass" message and once that was fixed it was all good.

The PSU was a pain in the ass - the original I bought didn't have a connector I needed so I went to Best Buy and bought one that had a picture of the connector I need on the box (I still don't know what it's for... 4 pin for ATX or something like that??). The Best Buy power supply was a little too big for my case, however (it's a tool-less case so the PSU is held with a plastic clip that didn't allow the bigger PSU to fit). I got it wedged in and I'm hoping it lasts forever because I'm not entirely sure I could get it back out. But the actual plugging in things is cake... not a problem at all. So, my big advice for PSU upgrades is know the connectors you need and check the dimensions of the unit. If all that is good, installation should take just a few minutes.

But, here's the big problem. I can't get my computer to recognize more than 3 GB of RAM. It doesn't matter what I do, I've tried many, many combinations of my GB sticks and my 512 MB sticks and just can't get above 3. I can't track it down to any one of my GB sticks - it doesn't seem to matter which ones I use. One thing that is interesting, however, is if, for example, I have in 4 GB sticks, the computer shows a total of 3 GB. However, if I replace two of the GB sticks with 512 sticks upon start-up I get a message that "firmware has detected that memory has decreased, press enter." So, it seems like on some level it recognizes that the 4 GB sticks are more memory than the second option even though it shows a total of 3 GB for both alternatives. WTF? Any help appreciated. I figure I'll be calling tech support in the future but I have to mentally prepare myself for that hell ("Okay, now let's turn your computer on, do you know how to do that? Okay, I have a check-list of 7000 things to do that have nothing to do with your problem, do you have 16 hours to go through the list with me?").
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 March 12, 09:20:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suck at maths, I know but...this doesn't add up! 2 1GB sticks+2 512 GB sticks=3 GB total...unless you have some obscure motherboard that has more than 4 RAM slots! (read one of your older posts, scratch that!) Or you have 1 2GB stick and 1 1GB...I'm confuzzled!
Try upgrading your BIOS. Keep in mind, however, that each motherboard manufacturer has its own way of getting that done. So, for starters find out exactly the name and model of your motherboard, then go the the manufacturer's site and follow the instructions DILIGENTLY. Keep your fingers crossed, pray, do a ceremonial dance or ritual sacrifice and hopefully all will go well  Wink
Just had another thought: have you installed SP2? Might solve the puzzle without the need to upgrade your BIOS. Also, before you embark on the semi-risky procedure of upgrading the BIOS, do a thorough search for your motherboard to see if it actually supports 4GB and if yes, in what stick configuration. Some mobos plainly refuse to recognize 4 1GB sticks but have no problems whatsoever with 2 2GB sticks. Crazy things, the computers!

Let the Beast inside you free!
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2007 March 12, 14:50:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh... I can't be tossed to re-read the whole thread.  Aside from what's already been suggested, I kinda lightly skimmed some of the other stuff... but, if you're having trouble getting your ram recognized, I would make sure you checked the mobo specs.

The obvious things are:

Make sure you are using the proper RAM (DDR vs. DDR2, the correct frequency/Mhz, etc.).  You can't really mix and match between certain types i.e. I'm pretty sure you cant use DDR and DDR2 RAM together.  Your mobo probably has a maximum Mhz that it can use.  Also, ideally, you shouldn't mix RAM with different Mhz, although it should still work, the "speed" of the RAM will drop to the whichever has the lowest.  Finally, much older mobos and apparently the more recent mobos require RAM to be paired.  I'm pretty sure older ones definitely required paired RAM.  There was a time where you could have non-paired RAM (my sister's machine actually only has 3 RAM slots).  But I think nowadays, newer mobos recommend having paired, dual channel RAM.

As for the PSU and what not... I dunno how old your case is... but I've been told you shouldn't get any weird shaped cases.  I'm assuming that you're also upgrading your own machine (I'm obviously not an expert myself), but I've found that ATX compatible cases seem to be the best kind, or the most popular at least.  Seems to be a standard form factor, and most parts seem to be designed to fit into them, so I'd say you're less likely to run into troubles involving wedging things in to make em fit. Tongue

Incidentally, I managed to build my machine this weekend.  Well... actually, I had the hubby do the majority of the work. Heheh.  I kinda futz around with it for awhiles, before gettin frustrated with things and ultimately makin him do it.  He was originally supervising, but then I got fed up listenin to his advice and wanting to do it my own way.  And he got fed up with me bitching and ignoring him and he ended up wanting to just do it himself so I would stop complaining about it.  I struggled a bit, but I managed to follow along and I think I can handle putting my next machine together.  I did manage to install the CPU and CPU fan.  Lol.  I started to put the mobo in, but then he ended up "correcting" me.  And then he plugged in all the rest of the wires.  Tongue  It probably would have went faster and smoother that way if he did it all himself from the get go. Lol.  In the end, it wasn't so bad.

Anyhew, one piece of advice I didn't stick to, is that you really should check the specs of your parts and make sure everything is compatible and what not.  Not that I had any serious issues... but one thing is, my case has a built-in firewire port, but I stupidly chose a mobo that does not support firewire. Tongue  I didn't know better, because I didn't know what IEEE-1394 meant, and I didn't think it was all that important.  If I really needed a firewire port, I suppose I could install a PCI card Or just use a firewire to USB converter or what not... but still, it would've been nice to be able to have that built-in port working.  It seems like such a waste.

Anyhew, I'm hoping to have my new machine up and running by tonight.  I'm split between finishing updating some of my other hacks... or finishing installing all of my software onto my new computer.  Tongue

Ste

Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 March 12, 16:33:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did it... I ordered the graphics card I wanted, a 700w power supply (I finally found some sites that spoke enough idiot for me to at least get the message that more power = good), and 4 MB of RAM.

...did you make sure the power supply is compatible with your motherboard? That is why I stuck with a low grade graphics card instead of going beyond that and having to buy a new power supply, because it seems the only power supplies that I can buy for it are only 300W high. My motherboard is a MicroATX, by the way.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 March 13, 00:11:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did it... I ordered the graphics card I wanted, a 700w power supply (I finally found some sites that spoke enough idiot for me to at least get the message that more power = good), and 4 MB of RAM.

...did you make sure the power supply is compatible with your motherboard? That is why I stuck with a low grade graphics card instead of going beyond that and having to buy a new power supply, because it seems the only power supplies that I can buy for it are only 300W high. My motherboard is a MicroATX, by the way.

Newegg has some 350 and 400w micro ATX power supplies.  I don't know how good they are, but better than a 300w, probably.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: