More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 09:23:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Seasons failing to load.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Seasons failing to load.  (Read 13348 times)
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
Seasons failing to load.
« on: 2007 February 28, 21:08:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I'm so frustrated right now I could just kill something, so instead I will throw myself on your mercy. Maybe you can help me, because in spectacular EA fashion the forums or technical support are not at all helpful.

Last night, I installed Seasons. It loaded, added in my cc (sans hacks) and played beautifully for a couple hours. Suddenly it crashed to the desktop without an error. By then, it was very late so I just turned off my computer and went to bed. Today, I go to play and the game won't open. I get the splash screen, then nothing. If I go to the task manager, I can see the process doing it's thing, but still no game loading going on.

The EA people suggested that I:

-Update my drivers. My drivers are up to date
-Disable my antivirus/firewall. Yeah, whatever. It worked just fine with them on last night. Still, gave it a try. Nothing.
-Turn off daemon tools and the like. Yeah, fine, except again, it worked last night with all that running, and I am not getting a cd error. Still, gave it a shot, and still not working.
-Reinstallation. Yep, tried that. Woohoo, a waste of my life! New installation, same problem.

So, anyone have any less asinine suggestions for me?
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
Re: Seasons failing to load.
« Reply #1 on: 2007 February 28, 21:16:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1: EA are as useful as apes on crack
2: I'm going to come back to you

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 February 28, 21:16:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

did you try the old stand bys, like deleting the cigen and groups.cache files?

did you try removing your downloads temporarily (including regular ole cc)?

i thought i read something about some cc not working properly. dunno if that's been verified, but i'd try to run the game without any cc at all.

Ste

liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 February 28, 21:27:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I've tried all those things, first thing. Still no love.

I hate my game.
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 February 28, 21:29:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe you've got a corrupt game disk

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 February 28, 21:34:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe, but it installs fine and it worked initially
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 February 28, 21:42:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stupid suggestion - remove the Neighbourhoods folder temporarily. If it reboots then you'll just have to replace each Neighbourhood in turn.

I admit I'm reaching here.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 February 28, 23:19:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you uninstalled, did you do it manually? And did you just uninstall Seasons, or everything?

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 February 28, 23:35:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I manually uninstalled, including ripping all the entries out of the registry, then reinstalled. I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled everything yet, I am loathe to do that.
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 01, 12:38:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently, the solution to my problem was to get completely frustrated and throw my hands up in disgust, then go watch Mythbusters for an hour. I came back and magically, the whole thing works just fine now.

I guess I'll never know...
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 01, 15:31:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's probably Safedisc throwing a wobbly. That happens all the time.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ElenaRoan
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 18, 09:55:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are there any other solutions to this?  Mine has suddenly decided to do the same thing and I've tried everything I can think of short of doing a complete reinstall.  It started happening the next time I tried to play after I did a save on exit, which I don't usually do because I once lost an entire sub-neighbourhood after one (probably due to an unrelated glitch but it's habit now) but I was really tired and didn't want to wait for a save before falling into bed. 

- ElenaRoan
Ionopachys
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 April 03, 20:35:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the same problem, except that the game does show up in Task Manager for a few minutes while the light on the CD/DVD drive flashes.  When I removed the entire Documents/.../Sims2 folder, the game failed to recreate the various subfolders and files, except for the logs folder.  There it generated twenty files, all of them 0 kb and empty of information.  This has happened after a half dozen reinstalls, including one fresh install of the whole thing (base game and all EP's).  My computer more than meets the minimum specs.  I've updated everything that can be updated, and even downloaded that stupid Safedisk thing Maxis recommends.  At this point the game cannot be played.  As I said in my tech support request to maxis, if this can't be resolved, it looks like I'm done playing Sims.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 April 05, 00:56:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ElenaRoan: Silly question, but have you deleted the groups.cache file?

Ionopachys: Have you tried loading the game with a mini image or .exe from gamecopyworld?

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Ionopachys
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 April 05, 02:34:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ionopachys: Have you tried loading the game with a mini image or .exe from gamecopyworld?

I'm afraid I have no idea what a mini image is, and I've never heard of gamecopyworld.

After looking up gamecopyworld, I will try that next.  In case that fails, what is a mini image and how would I use it? 

Thank you for your help.  You're the first one to offer any new suggestions outside of EA's tech "support" FAQ.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 April 05, 02:43:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A mini image will allow the game to load without having the disc in the drive. You'll have to download a couple things to use it: daemon tools and sd4hide are what I use. The FAQs for those are pretty easy to follow. You can get the image at gamecopyworld as well. I prefer to use the image rather than a cracked .exe, personally. These should help if your problem is rooted in copy protection issues.

EA's "support" is notoriously bad. My cat could do better, because at least she wouldn't regularly give the wrong answers.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 April 05, 02:48:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't need the daemon tools or to mount it, all you need is the hacked exe. What's stupid is I torrented it at first, so I didn't have to wait for EB Games to get off their asses and ship, and then when I got the disk, I reinstalled. But to get the damn thing to load every time, instead of 1 out of 3 or 4, I had to put back in the hacked exe!  Roll Eyes Does the patch maybe fix it? (Okay, I know, what am I thinking? LOL)

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Ionopachys
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 April 05, 04:32:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The cracked exe worked.  Thank you so much. 

So basically they implemented some new copy protection device that is broken on some machines, even with the safedisk update?  And I suppose that with the DMCA it is illegal for me to use the cracked exe, even if it's the only way I can use the software I legally purchased.  I really, really hate these corporations.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 April 05, 20:52:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So basically they implemented some new copy protection device that is broken on some machines, even with the safedisk update?  And I suppose that with the DMCA it is illegal for me to use the cracked exe, even if it's the only way I can use the software I legally purchased.  I really, really hate these corporations.

Yep. Copy protection is idiotic and makes pirates of the most honest. But it's not illegal for you to use the .exe, as you bought the game. No matter what EA would have you believe.

Glad it worked for you  Smiley.

Weaver
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 April 05, 21:12:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use an image to avoid disc clutter and typically get a hung Sims2EP5.exe process. I'll go with the replacement .exe route.
Now the real challenge is finding a cracked executable for the Seasons patch. At the moment, there's no need though.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 April 05, 21:17:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, yes, technically under the DMCA, any circumvention of copy protection, whether you've bought the disk or not, is illegal. Heck, technically, even TALKING about it on this forum is illegal.  Except that EA is back to giving out instructions on mounting the games because this isn't the first EP that's needed it, it's just the one that needs it for the most people.  Roll Eyes  Regardless, EA isn't going to go after people like us who've bought the game and are using the crack to run. Companies are generally more interested in the people doing the cracking in the first place and then the ones downloading the entire game, not just the exe.

- Kurt Vonnegut
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 April 05, 22:03:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, no, no. I seem to remember that the DMCA only affects websites hosted in the US. MATY is hosted in Malaysia. And to those looking for a fixed exe:

Link.

Note that this is for an unpatched Seasons only, so you may need to reinstall Seasons to get it to work.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 April 06, 02:52:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Companies are generally more interested in the people doing the cracking in the first place and then the ones downloading the entire game, not just the exe.

They would also never try it in court, as they would lose, which would open them up to a whole lot of crap they don't want to deal with.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 April 06, 03:00:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why would they lose?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 April 06, 03:25:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why would they lose?

Because they are attempting to prevent people from using a product they have bought and legally own. Copy protection itself is very iffy, legally, because of the problems it causes for consumers.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: