More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 30, 11:39:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  2 Collections Questions
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: 2 Collections Questions  (Read 5122 times)
Baronetess
polonius
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
2 Collections Questions
« on: 2007 February 24, 14:47:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, I was inspired by JadeElliot and Loverat to undertake the frightening task of organizing my downloads, and am now up to my elbows in beautiful obesssive-compulsive goodness (see attached screenie for a partial view).  [Creepy aside] Jfade, I FRIGGIN' LOVE YOU. [/creepy aside]
I have two questions that have been raised in the process:
1.  You might notice in the screenie that I have two versions of each collection - R and C.  The way I've been making the community lot version is by saving the residential as, say, decorative-mirrorsR.package, then changing the settings to community and saving it as decorative-mirrorsC.package.  The "oh, shit" moment I had last night: I realized that the two versions have the same GUID because I'm not hitting the button to regenerate the numbers.  Is this going to cause a VBT in my game?  I don't want to start over, and I'm actually kind of afraid to start up my game and find out the hard way.

2.  I am thinking about starting up a new neighborhood with the All About the Simoleans challenge from jane81 (I think is her name) at TSR, which is a way of having a neighborhood with one very old and wealthy family, like the Crumplebottom/Goth family in Pleasantview.  My idea is to have the first generation in the medieval era, and gradually bump up the time period as the family grows older.  Thus, to make the game run faster, I want to take out all custom content except for my historical-themed stuff.  Now obviously the removed custom content won't display in the collections, but will the collection file itself be altered by doing this?  (In other words, when I put the rest of my CC back, will it still be sorted in the collections?)

Thanks so much for anyone that can answer either of these. 

~polonius
Part of my collections folder:
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
Re: 2 Collections Questions
« Reply #1 on: 2007 February 24, 14:59:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The collection file won't be altered, and all will be well.
As to the rest, I don't have a clue.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Baronetess
polonius
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 February 24, 15:02:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awesome, thanks Elfie  Grin

So now I just have to worry about the potential VBT. 
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 February 24, 15:06:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, the awesome thing about collections is that you can take stuff out, add more stuff, change the collection, add back the stuff you removed, and it still appears. Very useful for sorting your downloads in batches.

As for the GUID issue, there is no way that a collection file can harm your game in any way. Simply load your game and see if the collections show up as both comm and resi in the game. I have not heard that a collection file needs a GUID change.

Fail.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 February 24, 15:13:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that the worst that would happen with having the collections having the same GUID is that the only one that will show up is the one that was last loaded. I don't see a BFBVFS happening.  Smiley

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
Baronetess
polonius
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 February 24, 16:25:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, the awesome thing about collections is that you can take stuff out, add more stuff, change the collection, add back the stuff you removed, and it still appears. Very useful for sorting your downloads in batches.

Amazing that EA/Maxis got something right, isn't it?

I don't see a BFBVFS happening.  Smiley
That's good.  I couldn't think of a way for a GUID conflict to spark a BFBVFS, but I learned long ago not to doubt the self-destructive powers of TS2 Tongue

I think that the worst that would happen with having the collections having the same GUID is that the only one that will show up is the one that was last loaded.
Luckily, with my naming system, that will mean all the resi collections will show up.  That's a much smaller issue than the reverse, since I spend much more time on home lots.  I love how I managed to serendipitously avert a problem Grin
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 February 24, 17:16:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always do the same, make a collection (residential) save, then change it to community and save with a different name. I haven't had anything bad happen, and I've been doing this since jfade's tool came out. Luckily now that it's so conveniently updated for pets and I just save one collection file for both.
I must add though, I don't add items to a collection in the game all that much, so I don't know what happens to the collection not added to.
Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 February 25, 01:42:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good luck with that challenge. I've never seen that one, but I know I'd find it tough simply because I'm always sending my sims to watch TV to get their fun up. I don't know what I'd do with a Medieval house!

By the way, where is this tool you have used for organising your downloads into collections? It looks really useful, especially since I have so many objects that need to be in collections!
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 February 25, 02:16:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.djssims.com -->here, on the programs page.

Some great tools there, made my life much easier!
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 February 25, 15:47:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good luck with that challenge. I've never seen that one, but I know I'd find it tough simply because I'm always sending my sims to watch TV to get their fun up. I don't know what I'd do with a Medieval house!

Send them to watch the crystal ball!
Baronetess
polonius
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 01, 19:32:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Luckily now that it's so conveniently updated for pets and I just save one collection file for both.

*polonius reads several times*

*polonius screams*

*headdesk*

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!1111one

Sigh.  Well, now I know.  *goes to download updated version*
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 02, 02:47:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL!
I know polonius, I realized it late as well. Just after I had made two collection files of everything I had. Better late than never eh? Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: