More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 16:39:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  IP addys
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: IP addys  (Read 4782 times)
sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
IP addys
« on: 2007 February 20, 18:54:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This may belong in Retardoland so feel free to move it cause I am feeling like a complete idiot right now but I know someone here can explain this to the computer illiterate that I am.

I recently purchased a new computer and so far the worst thing has been trying to remember all the user-IDs and passwords to sites that I had Windows remembering on my old one since I don't do restores.  I use new computers as a clean-up time so I have to reinstall things I really want.  Anyhow, I think I got most of them sorted out except MTS2 and I think I actually got the info right but was told I "automatically failed an IP check" or something along those lines.  I know that I need to get with them on it (not here) and I have already sent an e-mail but....

Does just getting a new computer change my IP address?  I kinda thought that my ISP issued those or something.  I know we have 4 computers on a wireless network and they stagger the last number, or at least used to but the msg from MTS did indeed recite back to me an unfamiliar one.  However, when I bought the last new computer I didn't get any IP checks failing after hooking it up to the same network.

Or is it Vista that is doing something different, or even my ISP changing something and not telling me.  I don't even know how to check this stuff  Embarrassed  It just all used to magically work together.

Ok, point and laugh now....
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
Re: IP addys
« Reply #1 on: 2007 February 20, 19:25:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, you're right, your ISP assigns your IP, and your router then further splits it across your home network. Your IP should stay the same, regardless of which computer you use from your network. Besides the simple fact that some ISP's give you a new IP address every time you log in, or like mine, anytime you reset your router, so it's impractical to keep people out based on their IP.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 February 20, 19:45:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Kat, I just couldn't understand why this was happening all of a sudden on MTS2 when I have used the same ISP 3+yrs and been a member there since whenever Sims2 came out.  I have never had this problem before and quite frankly didn't even know that a site would keep track of my IP address or care where I logged in from.  It must have just checked because I was trying to have the password reset and wanted to verify I was me.

I'm sure they'll get it straightened out for me I just couldn't figure out if I had changed something I shouldn't have somewhere.
PandaGirl
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 February 20, 21:36:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I access MTS2 from many different computers in many places and I've never seen that as an issue.

sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 February 20, 22:40:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never had trouble before either but when I tried to do a password reset it took me to an automated thing that asked for my userID, e-mail, birthday and created an e-mail for me to send to them - cut and pasted minus my info (don't know why since it's here anyways Tongue).  Maybe I am just not getting what the error really is and when I get a response it will be something I just didn't know about (i.e. user error  Tongue) -

It's not really a big deal, I was just confused having never had this problem before with any site.  It kinda worries me that my account is messed up or something.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:25:26 -0800 (PST)
From: "Rhonda" <>  Add to Address Book  Add Mobile Alert 
Subject: Password Reset
To: modthesims2@gmail.com
Username:
Email:
Date of Birth:
Requesting IP: 68.13.104.83

(Automatic: Failed IP check)

http://db.modthesims2.com/moderator.php?do=useroptions&u=88039

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 February 21, 08:57:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That link on the bottom is for moderators, why did they give you that link?  Personally, I would just send a message to someone over there (if you want, I can for you) to fix it. Tongue
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 February 21, 09:11:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MTS2 is offline at the moment. Sintrinity's trouble sounds more like a remote server problem. I think it is possible the two are linked?

Glad to see you're back, BlueSoup. Cheesy

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 February 21, 09:46:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

dunno anything about MTS2, but I know some IRC servers and some websites ban people based on their IP addy if they keep creating new usernames to get around being banned by username and/or email- and sometimes, due to routers having a range of numbers, the range of IPs blocked will be kind of wide- so people with a similar IP might get blocked on accident.

INFP or something
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 February 21, 11:58:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

a while ago someone came into mts2chat stating the same issue.  Im not sure if they ever got it fixed or not, however I don't think its linked to mts2 being offline. 

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 February 21, 14:45:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I got it straightened out and they e-mailed my reset password with this -

Please note: If you have recently moved, changed ISPs, started using different computers, or have a dynamic IP, posting to the forum will update your IP address or log any additional IP addresses from other computers or other locations you use to access MTS2.  Simply saying thanks, browsing, or downloading will not update your IP information.

Which likely explains it.  I am not sure I have ever had my password reset and I also am not sure that I have ever made a post there (can't really remember but I am usually just a lurker/downloader).

Problem solved.  Now I can go look for my recolor of that Maxis cheap shower.  It still befuddles me why EA thinks everything should be green.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: