More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 11:03:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Bubble blowers
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Bubble blowers  (Read 22881 times)
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
Bubble blowers
« on: 2005 September 24, 15:30:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bought my first bubble blower today.  Yeah, kinda late considering I've had Uni for months, but bongs really aren't my thing.  One of my Pleasure sims wanted one, though, so I bought one for him.

It was kind of amusing at first.  After a while your Sims start floating, because they're "high,"  I guess.  I set 4 Sims playing with it who all needed some Fun, and then ignored it for a while.  Then I noticed one of those Sims was in the yellow, so I went to check on them.  All of them had full Fun meters, but they all refused to leave on their own, even though they were full up.

So I guess the Bubble Blower is "addicting" as well, but it's really annoying.  Bubble blowers are almost as bad as musical instruments.  At least with the instruments, they're gaining creativity while they're stuck to it.  On the other hand, they don't have that hideously long "check for tips" animation when you drag them away, and they don't draw every Sim on the lot the way instruments do.

The best entertainment objects seem to be pinball games and the really expensive TVs.  With those the Fun recovers fairly quickly, and Sims gain social and relationship while using them with other Sims.  Unlike, say, the video game console.  The main drawback of both is that you can't queue any actions for when they're done, any other action at all cancels them.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
nothingbutsims
Re: Bubble blowers
« Reply #1 on: 2005 September 24, 16:01:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I guess the Bubble Blower is "addicting" as well, but it's really annoying.  Bubble blowers are almost as bad as musical instruments.

Very true.  I had a bubble blower at one of my college lots before NL.  One of the NPC dormies started playing it, say 5 or so pm, and when my sim woke the next morning, the dormie was still playing on the bubble blower - never slept, ate or used the toilet all night long.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 September 24, 16:09:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love putting the bubble blower in the dorm for this exact reason. It seems to me to be so realistic. (I'm a college professor, and I know I have students who only drag themselves away from the bubble blower to come to class.) I wish they would get relationship points from it, though. They do improve social, so it would seem reasonable to improve relationships, too.
The blower is excellent for pregnant women, I find, because it puts up fun and comfort quite quickly. My pregnant sims are often low on fun because their other needs are more pressing.

breyerii
Town Crier
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 September 24, 16:27:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The best entertainment objects seem to be pinball games and the really expensive TVs.  With those the Fun recovers fairly quickly, and Sims gain social and relationship while using them with other Sims.  Unlike, say, the video game console.  The main drawback of both is that you can't queue any actions for when they're done, any other action at all cancels them.

H'm, if I'm not mistaken J. M. holds the kickable flamingo to be the fastest, and cheapest, way to flll your sim's fun bar. I tend to agree.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 September 24, 17:41:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I guess the Bubble Blower is "addicting" as well, but it's really annoying.  Bubble blowers are almost as bad as musical instruments.

Very true.  I had a bubble blower at one of my college lots before NL.  One of the NPC dormies started playing it, say 5 or so pm, and when my sim woke the next morning, the dormie was still playing on the bubble blower - never slept, ate or used the toilet all night long.
Yeah, if you check them out with the mind control mirror, you'll see almost everything in the orange to red zone.  I sometimes use this to unstick dormies and NPCs who play the blower or instruments all night or get stuck in group research.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 September 24, 17:49:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

H'm, if I'm not mistaken J. M. holds the kickable flamingo to be the fastest, and cheapest, way to flll your sim's fun bar. I tend to agree.

The flamingo builds fun quickly, but without a macro to keep kicking it and standing it back up when it falls, it's a micromanagement pain in the tush.  And every time it falls it causes the environment score to go down.  I keep one around now for emergencies, but I prefer using red hands to get fun up as I find it more useful.

I wonder if Maxis has a hidden message in the bubble blower:  If you have one, you won't want to do anything else, even tend to vital needs.  Just Say No, kids! Cheesy

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 September 24, 18:29:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The flamingo builds fun quickly, but without a macro to keep kicking it and standing it back up when it falls, it's a micromanagement pain in the tush.  And every time it falls it causes the environment score to go down.  I keep one around now for emergencies, but I prefer using red hands to get fun up as I find it more useful.
I agree. I also prefer the punching bag to the obstacle course because it builds body constantly rather than running around to build it again.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 September 24, 18:54:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah but it's a pain in the ass without macrotastics. I find viewing a painting, any painting even a cheap crayon drawing, 3 or 4 times in a row works wonders. Actually, since the flamingo is a scuplture you could probably view that too. Viewing paintings and sculptures or kicking the flamingo or gnome (a sim with 10 playful can actually play with the gnome Wink ) works so fast to get fun up though it's kind of a borderline cheat imo and I try not to overdo it but to use the games and TV and stuff instead. Besides, the yummy channel gets cooking up too as well as social and fun.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 September 24, 19:02:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah but it's a pain in the ass without macrotastics.

That covers basically everything, doesn't it?
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 September 24, 20:40:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL I suppose it does. Wink But I still find queuing up look at a painting 3 times less bothersome than kicking a flamingo, waiting until they are done, standing it back up, kicking it again etc.  Sad

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Azkar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 September 24, 21:10:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm .. I have a modified bubble blower that I downloaded from MTS2 that blows smoke instead of bubbles  Grin
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 September 24, 22:39:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, since the flamingo is a scuplture you could probably view that too.

My elder sims often come home and stand viewing the flamingo for ages, it takes ages to cancel the action too. I even saw an adult doing it the other night. I didn't pay attention to the funbar though, I'll have to check it.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 September 24, 22:47:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Kicking the crap out of something is every bit as entertaining in real life as it is in The Sims. I mean, what do you think people did before all these electronic games and gew-gaws were invented? That's right, they beat each other with sticks and kicked stuff.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 September 25, 01:24:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still do that!

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 September 25, 01:37:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Red Hands is great for the kids who come home from school with the fun bar in the red.  Gets them up far enough to put on the easel or chessboard or whatever in one short game.

Bubble blowers are a pain.  But I just found out that the Electro-Dance Sphere (new in NL), which I put in a dorm just to see what it would do, is just as bad.  A cheerleader strolled in, went up to it, and monopolized it all day and half the night, then came back the next day and did the same thing - that is, until I had one of my sims tell her goodbye to get her off the damn thing!  The nice thing about it is that sims will use it autonomously for body skill points, so I don't always have to tell them to get in it.

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 September 25, 04:42:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm forgive me for my bottomless stupidity(TM, 1945) but what exactly is the function of the bubble blower in RL? (Yes, I know it's an object in Sims 2...)
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 September 25, 05:14:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does it have to have one? This is a game. Not all objects/concepts translate well to RL situations/behaviors.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 September 25, 05:16:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A hookah is an eastern pipe for smoking hash through, usually the smoke passes through water to cool it and make it easier to smoke. Westerners use lots of other things instead of water, like ice, alcohol and so on.
Pic here:
http://richardmcguire.com/travel/asia/indiabw/hookah.htm

Actually it may have started with opium not hash, I don't know.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 September 25, 05:23:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Water pipes are also known as "bongs" here in the US and used to smoke marijuana.  Particularly in college.  I saw several in use when I attended Boston University.  This is so clearly the derivation of the "bubble blower" that I halfway expected it to lower the Hunger meter.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 September 25, 05:28:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does it have to have one? This is a game. Not all objects/concepts translate well to RL situations/behaviors.

Well, it should to a certain extent unless rohina is a giant conspiracy to cause mass confusion.

Thanks for the explanations. I'm aware of hookah pipes but thought they were only used with water + tobacco, hence the confusion. Plus, uhh... I'm not supposed to know about such things.  Roll Eyes
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 September 25, 05:42:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahh yes ..like instruments except for the occassional piano this is one of those things that can rarely be on my lots b/c my sims abuse the damned thing. 
DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 September 25, 05:49:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and goes against the rules of the "Behaviour of Maximum Efficiency."
Velax
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 September 25, 05:50:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes....I had the live-in gardener from DMA, and the stupid twit spent all day on the piano rather than actually doing any gardening. Well, no, that's not true. She spent six hours on the piano, then deigned to spend a couple of hours gardening before going back to the piano. Sigh.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 September 25, 07:55:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the Bubble Blower was a "cleverly" disguised giant multi-user bong.  I mean they float around and giggle uncontrolably, what else could it be?

I'm sure we all know what the fruit punch barrel is "supposed" to be as well.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 September 25, 08:30:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the Bubble Blower was a "cleverly" disguised giant multi-user bong.  I mean they float around and giggle uncontrolably, what else could it be?

It is an "homage" to a certain 1971 movie:

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=FIZZY%20LIFTING%20DRINKS

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: