More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 01:58:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Okay, Anyone Doing the Sims/Vista Rhumba?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Okay, Anyone Doing the Sims/Vista Rhumba?  (Read 26354 times)
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
Re: Okay, Anyone Doing the Sims/Vista Rhumba?
« Reply #50 on: 2007 April 04, 13:45:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the more rounded sort of themes, especially in silver or white; but the pretty is not worth the broken of the Mac, so I settle for trying to find skins for apps that replicate it somewhat.

INFP or something
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007 April 04, 14:04:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't like themes or colors at all. I prefer things to look more or less like Ye Olde. My XP doesn't even use the XP theme. No desktop wallpaper, either. Just Ye Olde Windoze.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2007 April 04, 15:10:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

YEEEW, pukey beige.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007 April 04, 23:18:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Something I've just figured out: how to make the Vista UAC work better than the XP system of user accounts (on systems with no secpol.msc). regedit > Accept UAC prompt > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > System > Right-click on "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin" > Modify > Change the "1" or "2" to a "0".

Ignore the Windows Security Alert, as you haven't disabled UAC, you've disabled the UAC prompt (that is, it no longer pops up messages such as "You have moved the mouse. Continue with this operation or cancel it?").  Unlike the method of turning it off in the Control Panel, programs still run in standard user mode unless they are flagged as a program that should be run as administrator, and because UAC is still enabled, you can still write to the temp directory. When logged in as a standard user, it still pops up the regular dialogue for programs that need it.

Now, if there was only some way to stop Vista blocking DAEMON from running at startup...

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2007 April 05, 05:31:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alternatively you could edit those UAC settings in the Local Security Policy if you're using Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate.  Seriously, UAC's not that bad considering Linux systems have sudo and Mac OSX has something else like UAC.

When Vista says "File Permission Denied" that means it's in use, it probably should make that slightly clearer.  I haven't had any issue with not being able to gain control of a file like in XP.  As for performance, it's about the same and some programs like Minefield, Office 2007, and Eclipse have improved slightly.

I've never had a problem with DAEMON Tools, except for the fact that it would always boot up at start.  The only stuff it would block for me would be msconfig (lol) and Adobe Updater.

It's weird Apache doesn't work completely with Vista, especially since it's based off of a server OS.  IIS works but it's junk (there's a reason why there aren't many WIMP servers).  I'm not going to install XP just to play around on a personal imageboard so I'll have to wait until Apache is updated, but I'm not holding my breath.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2007 April 08, 12:18:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I may get back to the original topic -- I now have a new PC with Vista on it. Sims runs well (great performance, and the crasher bug is gone) -- but it takes well over 5 minutes before the splash screen etc. appears. I suspect it is the copy protection. Any clues how I could bypass it? There is no nocd for SeasonsP1 yet, and it doesn't matter if I use a mini-image, full disk image, or the original disk.

Additionally my Daemon is weird. Whenever I reboot it has only the first disk set, instead of the four I have defined.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: