More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 08:38:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Okay, Anyone Doing the Sims/Vista Rhumba?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Okay, Anyone Doing the Sims/Vista Rhumba?  (Read 26297 times)
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
Okay, Anyone Doing the Sims/Vista Rhumba?
« on: 2007 February 08, 21:08:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I type, I have a spanky-new computer shipping to my house that has (alas?) Vista installed. (Dun dun DUNNN.)

SO. Has anyone actually played Sims with Vista? It is the tits or the shit? Or has everyone been scared off by Senor Pescado's giant flashing warning signs? If I add Seasonings two weeks after my pimped out machine arrives, will it be all BBQapocalypse?

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
Re: Okay, Anyone Doing the Sims/Vista Rhumba?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 February 08, 21:47:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Sims 2 is not totally compatible with Vista, from what I understand.

http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=281

I hope none of this turns out to be an issue for you.

Fail.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 February 08, 22:00:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I type, I have a spanky-new computer shipping to my house that has (alas?) Vista installed. (Dun dun DUNNN.)
Vista is *BAD*. Nuke it and reinstall XP. Who the hell leaves all the factory spyware installed anyway? ALWAYS REFORMAT THE NEW COMPUTER!

More Awesome Than You will not support Vista at this time. Perhaps when it has been properly hacked.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 February 08, 22:07:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*grumble*stupid solaris 4th disk corrupted grr...*grumble*
Anyway, there's a lot of bullshit out there about Vista such as Pescado's comments about Vista invalidating your XP CD key.  Additionally, some People say is that a lot of stuff doesn't run on Vista but the reality is that about as much stuff is incompatible now as it was when people upgraded from 98 to XP.

TS2 isn't one of them, but there will be a negligible performance decrease like 5% since you're running it on Vista.  Still, you probably will just notice a speed increase just because your new computer is probably faster.  Games and applications that use OpenGL have about 50% of their previous performance due to the fact the drivers aren't built into the kernel anymore.
« Last Edit: 2007 February 08, 22:14:49 by Pseudonymous » Logged
sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 February 08, 22:54:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just got my new PC with Vista today and I have not had a problem with any of the games I play yet (knock on wood).  The only problem I ran into was with my ASUS motherboard's Realtek sound.  The ASUS site already has a fix ready to download for Realtek/Vista and viola my speakers worked just fine after that.

My husband also got a new PC with Vista and he had some problem with his LCD monitor (I refuse to leave my CRT yet) as well as the same sound problem.

So far so good but keeping my fingers crossed on my new Nvidia card.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 February 08, 23:01:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*grumble*stupid solaris 4th disk corrupted grr...*grumble*
Anyway, there's a lot of bullshit out there about Vista such as Pescado's comments about Vista invalidating your XP CD key.
How's that bullshit? It's bad news about Vista. Bullshit is your Pollyanna "everything is fine" blather. How much are they paying you to spew these lies?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 February 09, 00:24:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The part in there saying that they're invalidating the key was in all of the other versions of Windows.  It's not confirmed either other than in that one story.

They're still doing shady stuff though like adding a DRM service that checks the license of a video 30 times a second, killing analog holes, and locking the kernel for no reason other than to attempt to make a monopoly.  There's still no reason to upgrade to it though because there's no DX10 games and if you do upgrade you'll gimp OpenGL.
« Last Edit: 2007 February 09, 00:35:07 by Pseudonymous » Logged
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 February 09, 05:40:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are there really any problems(not including game compatibility) that Vista could cause if it's on a computer that isn't connected to the internet?
I'm thinking of installing Vista on my gaming PC, and leaving my internet PC with XP
« Last Edit: 2007 February 09, 06:00:31 by spookymuffin » Logged

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 February 09, 05:58:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is uncertain that Microsoft would let you operate the computer like that. Sort of like their "Registration Procedures", which I refuse to follow. Just like gun registration, software registration is a tool of Nazis who plan to take your software away from you. It was a stinker of a plan when the Nazis came up with it, and it STILL STINKS.

spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 February 09, 06:01:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I'm thinking of waiting a while until I can get my hands on a copy that doesn't need to be registered, or I find something that lets me bypass the registration

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 February 09, 06:07:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Always, ALWAYS, wait for the pirate version of ANY Windoze. The Pirate version is always the safest and most secure, so always hold out for Pirate Edition.

Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 February 09, 07:58:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I'm glad I asked. That's all much clearer now.  Undecided Thanks to the one person who came in and is actually using Vista. I guess I'll be one of the guinea pigs, too.

I desperately needed a new computer anyway. This one has become an abacus. Here's to the non-thrill of seeing my first cinematic.  Tongue

I have XP sitting around. Maybe I can just run it off that. Thanks for the link, SaraMK.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Weaver
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 February 09, 08:42:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could setup a dual boot system with Windows XP Professional x64 and Windows Vista both as available operating system.
That way, you can trial Vista and use XP for The Sims 2. Here's the Wiki article on dual booting and guide for working with XP and Vista.
Most important step is to create a seperate partition or install individually on seperate drives to avoid any conflicts.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 February 09, 13:46:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the computer doesn't have internet access, I think you can activate Vista over the phone like you could with XP.

Pes, there's already pirate versions of Vista out there but it's not as idiotproof as it was before since all versions require activation.  There's 3 methods that are used to activate these copies that I know of, the first involves swapping the RTM activation with RC2 which will last until July 31.  Another's setting up a KMS server that pirate Vista connects to every 6 months to activate, and finally there's messing with the clock to give almost unlimited time until requiring activation.  Of course, the DRM isn't hacked out of any of version yet but it's only a matter of time since a security researcher has already cracked it.
smvb
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 February 13, 08:06:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here is an article I read this morning regarding games and Vista:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2090646,00.asp

Pretend I wrote something witty....
MxxPwr
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 February 13, 10:10:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FX60 and the 8800? Heh, a typical household rig  Roll Eyes

If the writer of the article would give me a rig like his, I'd use Vista too.
smvb
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 February 13, 10:17:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, which is why I won't be changing from XP anytime soon.... But some year I'll have upgraded my hardware enough to do it.

Pretend I wrote something witty....
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 February 13, 18:04:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been seeing some posts in the MilkShape forums about compatibility with Vista.

No one there reported any OpenGL speed problems, but then MilkShape's not a game, except maybe when running animations.

But people have had trouble activating their key. It is believed that the issue is due to a file protection scheme like the one that protects the XP system files that appears to have been extended to program files in Vista.

If they can't patch an .exe, how would a pirate operate?

If this is true, MS has little hope of roping me into Vista even after they get it stabilized in SP2 or SP3. I don't want a Nanny.

<* Wes *>
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 February 13, 22:43:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If they can't patch an .exe, how would a pirate operate?
Pirates don't patch exes, they just replace the EXE entirely. Only programmers do things like that.

Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 February 14, 09:45:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will Vista Run Your Games? (already referenced above)

Windows Vista Performance Guide

Build a Windows Vista Upgrade Parachute

Windows XP vs. Vista: The Benchmark Rundown

In fairness, if you wanted to test how well Vista runs games, you would need to use a machine sufficiently powerful that the hardware would not be a limiting factor. Writing that Oblivion doesn't run well on Vista because your hardware isn't up to snuff isn't of much value.
« Last Edit: 2007 February 14, 09:58:58 by Hegelian » Logged

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 February 14, 12:21:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They're still doing shady stuff though like adding a DRM service that checks the license of a video 30 times a second, killing analog holes, and locking the kernel for no reason other than to attempt to make a monopoly.  There's still no reason to upgrade to it though because there's no DX10 games and if you do upgrade you'll gimp OpenGL.

I hate all that. Media player already nags me about videos. It's like windoze is the lawyer of what I want to purchase- or not purchase Wink
I just got a macbook as a second computer, and I'm in love with MacOS X (First time mac owner Grin). And on my gaming pc, no vista for me, I'm prepared to stay away until I have no choice. Stupid microsoft. I just loathe using Windows now.  Tongue
MxxPwr
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 February 14, 12:57:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In fairness, if you wanted to test how well Vista runs games, you would need to use a machine sufficiently powerful that the hardware would not be a limiting factor. Writing that Oblivion doesn't run well on Vista because your hardware isn't up to snuff isn't of much value.

I understand what you're saying. But, realistically, your gamers are going to have X19xx's or 79xx's in their rigs. Mainstreamers are going to have X18's or 76/66's in their rig's or worse. 1-3 month old namebrand boxes are going to have only the intel X6300's or the lower-clocked 64 X2's. A Vista review using his rig isn't much of a value either.

I'll still take his rig though.
MxxPwr
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 February 14, 18:43:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting articles. Thank you. I'm a bit concerned though about hearing words like 'far more processess' 'far larger codebase' 'far more memory used.' I thought MS was throwing the baby out with the bathwater with Vista. No more bloat code; lean and mean. Naive, I know.

I'd wonder what Vista does with alt-tabbing and swapping vid memory to hdd. Does it favor it's own 3d base when going from a game to desktop? Swapping out all your game data from the vid board to main mem or worse the hdd?
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 February 17, 01:21:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just bought a new Dell XPS 410, Intel Core Duo 6400 (2.13 GHz) with 4 GB RAM, ATI 1300 Pro video card (256 MB).  It came with Vista.  The game, with all EPs and about 1.5 GB of custom content, loads in about a minute.  This compared to *at least* 15-20 minutes on my old machine (Pentium IV 2.4 GHz with 1 GB of RAM and Radeon 9600XT video card).  The graphics settings in-game default to low or medium, but I have turned up just about everything to the max setting and there is no lag at all.  I was a little worried about how the video card would perform with Vista because it's on Maxis's list of "OK" cards, not "Good", but I have zero complaints so far, after about 3 days of playing the game on the new machine.  All my hacks work fine.
aqualectrix
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 February 18, 08:11:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems likely that your massive loading speedup is mostly caused by the massive jump you took in available RAM.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: