More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 11:46:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Maxis/EA update re nVidia & Pets incompatibility
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Maxis/EA update re nVidia & Pets incompatibility  (Read 14989 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: Maxis/EA update re nVidia & Pets incompatibility
« Reply #25 on: 2007 February 03, 15:24:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Later drivers often just add more goodies for later cards, your card if it's older will not be able to use newer features anyway. There's no loss by using older drivers and less chance of problems and incompatibilities.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
trancejeremy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 February 03, 16:51:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to have a 6600 (it died) and Nvidia was terrible about the drivers for it.  The newer ones almost never worked right for the Sims or most other games. Nice card, but horrible support by Nviidia
Tamha
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 February 04, 04:11:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's interesting to see that NVida cards are having a worse problem than my brand new ATI Radeon did with the Pets patch. My game didn't crash, but all the neighborhoods were flashing red, as if some kind of terrain were missing. I tried removing my DL folder first, then I tried deleting the whole Sims 2 folder so it would be regenerated at start up, then I extractd the base neighborhoods from the base game in case they were corrupted and regenerated the Sims 2 folder again,, then I uninstalled Pets (which fixed the problem). I reinstalled Pets, but I'm leaving off the patch for now, going to double check mod updates first and then set a system restore immediately before repatching in case it fubars my neighborhoods again.

A mean person laughs with you because they don't really mean it. A really mean person just laughs at you.
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 February 04, 07:29:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So we'll have to say goodbye to the fish until they get this worked out? That's a shame. I hope they're finally able to get the problems taken care of. I upgraded to a Nvidia Geforce 7600 because I wasn't sure which ATI I should get that would be the equivalent. It was disappointing to still experience occasional crashes and reboots.  Sad

Which 7600? GS or GT? And AGP or PCI-Express?  I've been playing a 7600 GS AGP and have no had a crash or any other sort of problem, and I probably play 2-3 hours a day at least.

I have the same card you have, 7600 GS AGP. Admittedly my problems are not really bad, it will tend to happen during my marathon playing sessions of 4+ hours.  Embarrassed Or if I web surf for an hour or so before I start playing. If I turn of the computer and give it a 20 minute break before I begin playing and then another 20 minute break every 2-3 hours of gameplay I don't have the problems. When it does the reboot Windows error says that the problem was due to the "device driver" forcing Windows to shut down. I'm using the drivers from November.
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 February 04, 09:55:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When it does the reboot Windows error says that the problem was due to the "device driver" forcing Windows to shut down. I'm using the drivers from November.

I had almost the same problem and the same error message and it turned out that it wasn't the graphics drivers as it was reporting. I know because even after I did a complete format of my hard disk and installed windows from scratch, I got the same error first time I loaded windows, before I installed any drivers. It was about faulty RAM installation (as far as I can remember).
LynnMar
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 February 04, 23:18:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know,  Come to think about it,  I believe I lost my fish when I updated my driver.  I am using 97. something and I was using 91 something.

I think I will go back to the old driver and see if my fish come back.

I know it is not that big of a problem, the no fishies,  but it drives me bonkers with my Obsessive, compulsive disorder.     Grin
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 February 05, 08:42:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When it does the reboot Windows error says that the problem was due to the "device driver" forcing Windows to shut down. I'm using the drivers from November.

I had almost the same problem and the same error message and it turned out that it wasn't the graphics drivers as it was reporting. I know because even after I did a complete format of my hard disk and installed windows from scratch, I got the same error first time I loaded windows, before I installed any drivers. It was about faulty RAM installation (as far as I can remember).

Thanks Blubug I'll make sure to look into that.  Smiley
doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 February 05, 11:11:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The blue screen/crashing problem disappears when using an older NVidia driver. I am using version 7.7.7.2 (June 2005) after my system kept crashing after the installation of an updated driver. There was a discussion about it in a German forum some time ago and apart from a few people who were unable to install the older driver it worked for everyone who had this problem. 7.7.7.2  is the last one that worked as far as I know.
Cons
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 February 05, 15:44:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had it in OFB, just installed Pets tonight, but it loaded ok and no apparent problems and yes I put the patch in it. But I'm using an old driver which seems to work just fine. In order to kill off the weird colors, etc....that I had in OFB. So seems to be fine so far..using the 7.1.8.9 driver. I have a GF6600 256 meg card.
LynnMar
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 February 13, 03:10:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I switched back to an older driver,  85 something and still I did not get my fish back,  the only time I ever had the blue screen with any driver was after installing pets and someone suggested to me to put "useshaderstrue" in my startup file so that I could see my fish again.

well the fish came back but then it started crashing so I had to remove the use shaders from my startup file.    Why did the stupid EA people give us a new fish tank but then they took away our fish???   
 They got a bunch of  nuts working there,  Like a  zoo  for the programming challenged.   rofl
Stitches
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 February 13, 10:22:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia.php

Oooo, shiney.  Wink

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 February 13, 11:25:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Omega drivers aren't updated anymore. Get the NGO HQ ones.
http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files
Stitches
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 February 13, 12:26:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Omega drivers aren't updated anymore. Get the NGO HQ ones.
http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files

So far I haven't had any reason to switch away from the Omega drivers. They're solid and stable and most importantly to the current conversation, they work well with TS2. People with newer cards benefit from updated drivers, but I have a three year old Alienware mobility card that vomits all over every other drivers that I've ever tested.  Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: