More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 21:32:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  tracking family trees
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: tracking family trees  (Read 5563 times)
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
tracking family trees
« on: 2007 January 25, 15:52:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can anyone recommend something to visually represent sims family trees? I'm trying to get my neighbourhood organised and would like any easy way of figuring out who is related to whom, what generation I'm up to etc. The 'hood was originally used for a very successful black widow challenge so there were a lot (20+) of first generation siblings and I reckon I'm on 5th generation now. Numbers have been reduced a bit with the introduction of zombie apocalypse/assault rifles but this is balanced by the triplets/quads mod. At the moment I've got a roughly drawn chart that completely fills a piece A4 paper and I'm loathe to try an redraw it by hand if I can do it on the computer. I did have a look at Sims2DB which looks great but doesn't seem to play with Petz yet.

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
Re: tracking family trees
« Reply #1 on: 2007 January 25, 15:56:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could try a genealogy program.  Many of those have the option to display different charts on screen or print them.

My ex was into genealogy, and he used a shareware program called Brother's Keeper, but there are probably other shareware or freeware programs available.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 January 25, 16:59:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I personally use Microsofts Visio (flow chart diagram), but that's because I never could find a good free geneology program. I'm now off to do a search for this 'brother's keeper' to see if it's better than Visio - thankyou for the search words

Grin

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 January 25, 17:40:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just make them in Photoshop. I can't track family trees unless the whole thing is laid out clearly in front of me in picture form, and I have not found any program that adequately draws a family tree for me. Since the game already provides basically everything I need to create the tree, I just use that. I've become so good at doing these that it takes less than ten minutes now to make a family tree, even if it's very complicated.

Here's one I made for the Monty family in Veronaville. Usually I put the sims' names under the pictures.

Fail.
Strangel
Nitwitted Nuisance

Strangelet watches Star Wars with an iPhone. Geek.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 January 25, 17:48:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just make them in Photoshop. I can't track family trees unless the whole thing is laid out clearly in front of me in picture form, and I have not found any program that adequately draws a family tree for me. Since the game already provides basically everything I need to create the tree, I just use that. I've become so good at doing these that it takes less than ten minutes now to make a family tree, even if it's very complicated.

Here's one I made for the Monty family in Veronaville. Usually I put the sims' names under the pictures.

-img snip-

Shocked Teach me, o'sensei.. lol
I have PSP 8 and Photoshop somethingorothernumber.

Jelendra: Welcome to the dark side. We have Eric. [True Blood Thread]
[14:26] notovny: Indeed. Pepperidge Farm Breakfast Kittens are delicious.
Om-Nom-Nomed as Throat of #grah 08.07.08 ISFP
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 January 25, 17:48:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use SmartDraw for flowcharts, etc, though I like SaraMK's Photoshop chart better. I was going to recommend Gimp, as it does basically the same thing as Photoshop, but is free, only now the site is gone, and when I Google 'Think All Publishing' all I see is a bunch of bad reports from the Better Business Bureau. Personally, I did not have any problems with them, but obviously others did. Undecided

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 January 25, 18:28:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you extract the thumbnails of the sims? I have found the jpg/tga/png image under Character File but it doesn't have the background greyed out nor does it have the border or the rounded edges?

The problem with genealogy programs is that you will need to connect all the families at some point...if the families never intermarried then you can't usually represent them in the same chart.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 January 25, 18:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe (correct me if I am wrong, SaraMK) that she just uses Print Screen.  This is only a guess based on how the bg color of the tree matches the game's tree bg color.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 January 25, 18:48:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can use any program that allows the basic operations of Select (part of an image), Copy, and Paste, and which supports layers. Paintshop, Photoshop, Gimp (free -- http://www.gimp.org/), PaintNet (free -- http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html), and I'm sure tons of other programs all do that.

You also need a screen capture program like Gadwin PrintScreen or YFF Screen (both free).

It also helps to run the game in windowed mode while you do this.

What you do is:

Open the game and find the sim who is on the family tree that you want to make. Open the family tree. Select each of the sims on the family tree and take a screenshot each time. You end up with as many screenshots as there are sims on the family tree.

Then it's just a matter of copy/pasting them together in the image editing program. Start with the first screenshot and work your way through the rest of them.

The first time is hard, but once you understand the idea, it's fast and easy. Eventually you realize that you don't need to get a picture of every sim on the family tree. For example, here's the Broke family tree, step by step. You'll see that all I needed was two screenshots to start with.

Fail.
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 January 25, 18:58:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aha, now I understand. I thought you had to extract the thumbnails via SimPe but printing screens and then cut/paste/edit job is all good. Ta muchly
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 January 25, 22:42:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try the Photoshop option first as I already use that to modify screengrabs of the neighbourhood view in order to track my lots and who's living in them. I'll also take a look at that Brother's Keeper software as it says you can enter at least 100 marriages for each person and at least 75 children for each marriage which means it can probably cope with Sims2 woohoo madness. I did try some other genealogy software before but it couldn't handle the convoluted sim relationships.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 January 26, 03:21:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I made some just using print screen and put it together in MS paint Cheesy Worked just as well. I don't have it anymore due to a complete pc reinstall, but I am planning on making some more. I have Pixia now, but I haven't tried out that program just yet. It is free which is a bonus Wink

miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 January 26, 08:05:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The website for Gimp is http://www.gimp.org/windows/
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007 January 26, 12:29:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, Think All Publishing is just the company that *I* got my free copy of Gimp from, as well as other free softwares. If you don't use Windows, there is also a Mac version of Gimp, and I think a Linux version, as well.

Edited to add: the Linux version is only for Lindows/Linspire, not Fedora, etc.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 January 26, 17:34:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edited to add: the Linux version is only for Lindows/Linspire, not Fedora, etc.
Impossible, GIMP is born on linux, so to speak. Maybe from that company, but Gimp  is a free GNU project.

Found: http://www.gimp.org/unix/

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: