More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:27:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Hey, can you see my lips moving?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Hey, can you see my lips moving?  (Read 10758 times)
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
Hey, can you see my lips moving?
« on: 2005 July 19, 21:51:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, I didn't really even think much about this till I saw someone else post about it, but when my sims talk on the phone, there are no talking animations at all.  I think they are trying to throw their voices onto the babies or something, because they appear to be darn good ventriloquists!  Is there a fix for this?  Is this a normal game fart or something that Maxis just.... ahem... forgot??

And if this has been answered 42 times already (the answer to life, the universe and everything is 42 anyway) then please take my lips, but please, please b'rer JM, DON'T throw me in that briar...... uhhh... please don't make fun of me!!   Wink

Chris

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

:P

View Profile
Re: Hey, can you see my lips moving?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 July 19, 22:14:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whootness! I'm not the only one that's noticed this. They used to have expressions in my game, I swear, but now - nada! They occasionally do, whilst gesticulating, but otherwise, what the hell?

A proud thread pirate.
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 July 19, 23:09:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I brought this up back back in March when I joined VS.  I can't stand the fact that Sims look like they're telepathic, or very good ventriloquists.  But Pescado told me there was nothing he could do.  Whether or not this was a lie is unknown.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
Skaven
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 July 20, 00:25:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The lips in my game have been all sorts of flakey in all different activities.  For awhile I actually thought I had dreamed that sims had moving lips, until suddenly they started up again.
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 July 20, 00:52:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have this exact same problem, and its the one pet peeve that cannot be fixed! Ack...why oh why did they break the phone animations?   I cannot stand to have my sims talk on the phone at all now...it's too painful to watch...yet another Uni glitch that needs fixed...

Ivy

vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 July 20, 01:49:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have this exact same problem, and its the one pet peeve that cannot be fixed! Ack...why oh why did they break the phone animations?   I cannot stand to have my sims talk on the phone at all now...it's too painful to watch...yet another Uni glitch that needs fixed...

Oh, so it is a Uni thing?  I didn't have Sims2 long before I bought Uni so I thought I must have just dreamed it!

Angry

*sigh*

<insert witty comment here>
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 July 20, 01:58:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a hardcoded engine problem. All the animations are actually there and being invoked by the BHAV codes, so that's functioning correctly, but the engine is not rendering them properly. Nothing can be done about this from here. You'll have to buy the patch from Maxis yourself if you want this one fixed.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 July 20, 02:40:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Posted by: J. M. Pescado
You'll have to buy the patch from Maxis yourself if you want this one fixed.

I'm buying nothing from them. I just make the sims part betazoid; they are now officially related to Deanna Troi.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 July 20, 02:47:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you gotta keep up to date somehow. Otherwise you won't be able to experience the latest and shiniest stuffeths in the future. Of course, that requires a little bit of improvisation, but hey.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 July 20, 02:55:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Posted by: J. M. Pescado
Well, you gotta keep up to date somehow. Otherwise you won't be able to experience the latest and shiniest stuffeths in the future. Of course, that requires a little bit of improvisation, but hey.

Well you see, I have not bought anything from them yet. I had the Sims 1 and my friends took that as a clue for birthday and christmas presents etc. Both, the sims2 and the ep were gifts from well-meaning friends, and who am I to discourage their niceness. :)

Besides, I'm not installing anything until you had a go at it, and if I remember correctly, it took some time before the post office found you in your mountain retreat and delivered the uni-ep :)

G.

~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2005 July 20, 03:42:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, while we're on the topic of the next expansion, J.M., will you receive Nightlife like a month after everyone else does--just like University--because your security personnel, or whatever, have to order the game from a secure government base outside Tajikistan and deliver it to your underground bunker in Montana, or wherever, and then screen the package for illegal substances, such as too many packing peanuts?

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 July 20, 03:45:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unknown at this time. Too many packing peanuts is not a problem, though. In fact, I like packing peanuts, they're a vital ingredient in the creation of napalm, a substance that I use in abundance here as both a pesticide and for home defense....which I suppose is really the same thing as pesticide.

Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2005 July 20, 11:14:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, so it is a Uni thing?  I didn't have Sims2 long before I bought Uni so I thought I must have just dreamed it!

Angry

*sigh*

Nope, you didn't dream it.

It was the reason why I searched out any haks to begin with lo those many months ago...in the hopes of a fix for it.

That was the very first problem that I experienced with Uni.

Ivy

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2005 July 22, 03:38:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a hardcoded engine problem. All the animations are actually there and being invoked by the BHAV codes, so that's functioning correctly, but the engine is not rendering them properly. Nothing can be done about this from here. You'll have to buy the patch from Maxis yourself if you want this one fixed.

I'm confused. Are you saying that there is a purchasable official Maxian patch to fix this problem? This is news to me. I guess I should pay more attention to my game to see if I have the same problem...

Ste

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 July 22, 03:39:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, there is not a purchaseable Maxian patch. Yet. But you know there will be.

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 July 22, 12:45:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Posted by: syberspunk
I'm confused. Are you saying that there is a purchasable official Maxian patch to fix this problem? This is news to me. I guess I should pay more attention to my game to see if I have the same problem...

This all has to do with the interview one of the Maxis people gave in the Netherlands. He claimed that EA/Maxis would not bother to make a Uni patch since that was just "to hard". He further claimed that all game-problems would be fixed in the next ep anyways. It caused quite an uproar, since it would basically force people to buy the ep if they want their Uni ep fixed.

It was quite an idiotic comment; if you can fix the bugs in the newest ep, why can't you put those fixes into a stand-alone patch? Easy answer: the stand-alone patch would be a free item, the ep you would have to purchase.

That's about it in a nutshell. The official board had a thread about it with a whole lot of people voicing their displeasure. Given EA/Maxis' habit of ignoring/deleting threads that critizice their stupidity, I would not be a bit surprised if this thread has also gone the way of all creation, straight into oblivion. I am however, not sure about that since I don't go onto the official board very often. I usually go straight to Reg's page to see whether there are any new goodies (hint? what hint? I don't know what you are talking about Reg.) and then I leave.

G.

reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 July 22, 19:07:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I usually go straight to Reg's page to see whether there are any new goodies (hint? what hint? I don't know what you are talking about Reg.) and then I leave.

G.

No new houses, but I got the first chapter of my (mod-ified) Legacy story up. It's rather funny, if I do say so myself, and a certain hacker is mentioned by name. Wink ----this shameless plug brought to you by The Cult of Me.

I'll see what I can do about a house this weekend. Smiley
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 July 28, 23:54:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Posted by: syberspunk

This all has to do with the interview one of the Maxis people gave in the Netherlands. He claimed that EA/Maxis would not bother to make a Uni patch since that was just "to hard". He further claimed that all game-problems would be fixed in the next ep anyways. It caused quite an uproar, since it would basically force people to buy the ep if they want their Uni ep fixed.

It was quite an idiotic comment; if you can fix the bugs in the newest ep, why can't you put those fixes into a stand-alone patch? Easy answer: the stand-alone patch would be a free item, the ep you would have to purchase.

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?&openItemID=item.62,root.1,item.43,item.41,item.23&threadID=b26cce8ce8d1ec435652da490d0848df&directoryID=62&startRow=1

I knew I'd seen that somewhere.  Seems they did some backpedalling from their original statement.

We will now look into what issues we can address (are they reproducible and fixable) from the issues that have been reported. I do not have a release date for a patch at this point, nor do I have a fix list, but we will let you know as soon as we have more definitive info.

<insert witty comment here>
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: