More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 30, 16:02:05

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Pie menus
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Pie menus  (Read 7957 times)
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Pie menus
« on: 2007 January 09, 10:09:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any way I can find a certain pie menu string within objects.package other than by going through every single resource?
I want to either get rid of "call taxi", or move it under the "call../" menu next to "transportation", as well as some other menu changes.

Additionally, did pie menus somehow change in Pets? One of my unreleased modifications to another person's hack adds an option to the "adjust" menu, but since Pets I have two adjust menus: twojeff's and mine.
Likewise the EAMaxis Holiday pack newyears party now appears in a separate "throw party" menu, not inside the existing one.
« Last Edit: 2007 January 09, 20:32:46 by Jordi » Logged
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Pie menus
« Reply #1 on: 2007 January 09, 19:31:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gah! I have that bloody double party menu as well since the new holiday pack.
I'm so sick of bloated pie-menus.  I wish all the sim cellphone options like throw party and invite headmaster would go uner "call..." as well.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 January 09, 20:32:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gwill - do you also play in UK English? I just found a possible reason why… am testing it now. If this is the cause, EAMaxis is more stupid than I thought possible.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 January 09, 20:51:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I do.  If I ever had an option there's no way I'd select American over real English.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 January 09, 20:59:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The second "throw party" menu is directly caused by Pets\TSData\Res\Overrides\HolidayNewYearsPartyPhoneCall_Override.package

Instead of using Throw Party.../New Year's Bash some pisstain used Throw Party…/New Year's Bash for the UK English pie menu resource.
Spot the difference? I didn't, at first.

They used an actual ellipsis… so the game treats it like a new menu option rather than merging it with the existing option.

The one time EAMaxis translates it differently for UK English, and they mess it up.
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 January 09, 23:35:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's quite amazing. Who would have thought those little dots could cause so much trouble?
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 January 10, 00:03:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a quick and easy way to fix this?

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 January 10, 00:14:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go into the HolidayNewYearsPartyPhoneCall_Override.package, select Text Lists (STR#). Select the one beginning with MakeActionString. Press the right arrow to switch the language to English_uk, and replace the ellipsis with three periods. Commit and save.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 January 10, 09:59:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, sorry for not posting that. Thought it should have been obvious :p
I will upload a fix mod for the MTS2 sheeple and others who are unfamiliar/uneasy with SimPE with this later on.

I also found the Pie menu I was looking for, it includes almost all options on the self-Sim menu. So another mod will go up which will change "call taxi" to "call.../taxi" and move some of the "ask" things under the "ask.../" menu.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 January 10, 10:30:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Got it. Smiley

Anyone else suspect that EA games didn't actually hire a "British English Speaker", but rather gave some random American the job of running through all the text strings in winword and using the spellchecker?
Winword has the nasty habit of converting tripple dots.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 January 10, 11:19:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I doubt they hired ANYONE to translate to British English. The en_uk locale is nearly devoid of strings for everything, and even obvious things like "neighbourhood" aren't changed. Hence my little UK English UI mod.
« Last Edit: 2007 January 10, 12:54:19 by Jordi » Logged
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 January 10, 11:32:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, another mod I've been taking for granted...  Sorry.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Baronetess
vcline
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 January 10, 17:12:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OY!!  Gwill, what happened to your avatar?  Is she giving birth?
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 January 10, 17:26:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just when I was getting used to the grumpy old woman! 

Actually, the avatar isn't giving birth, the baby is pulling itself out.  Looks more like something out of Alien to me.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 January 10, 17:34:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any way I can find a certain pie menu string within objects.package other than by going through every single resource?

FYI - teh dizziness helps for searching with things like this, IIRC last time I used it.

Usually, what I do is disaSimble the entire objects.package, dumping them out into html files. Then I use winblows explorer to search for strings within the file of the pattern that I am trying to match. (If you were not lazy, you could probably write a better (and probably faster) command line utility in perl for pattern matching... Tongue - but for those using winblows it would require installing activeperl. I believe you run *nix, no? So it shouldn't be a problem for you.) Once I get the correct Group #, I use the filter in SimPE.

With teh dizziness, you could probably just look in PhoneGlobals to start with, or something along those lines, and then look at the STRs.  In SimPE, you could also probably just sort by the generic group names they have, but sometimes, if I'm looking for something across several objects or if it's part of an interaction, then that doesn't help much. You really do need the Group # to filter things out.

By the by, never use winblows internet exploder^H^H^Hrer to open any of the html files from the disaSim dump. Exploder^H^H^Hrer totally crashes to desktop, if you're lucky. Sometimes I would have to reboot entirely. Roll Eyes I always use Firefox to actually open up the rather large .html files, plus the built-in searching and highlighting tools work wonders when sifting through the "code" in the BHAVs.

Ste

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 January 10, 18:59:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For the SimPE-scared or unfamiliar: Throw Party menu fix for UK English players. I've also rolled it into my UK English UI mod.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 January 10, 20:12:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OY!!  Gwill, what happened to your avatar?  Is she giving birth?

I was so badly traumatized by that picture that I felt like lightening the load by sharing the pain:
http://pics.livejournal.com/gwillewyn/pic/0004rg9k

Once I have disturbed enough people, I'll decide whether I want to be "Freaky Birth Avatar person" or "Crazy Cat Lady".

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 January 10, 20:27:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Holy Crap!  Shocked

So that's where babies come from!!!

It looks like that dude is a grower and a not a shower. Tongue And what is he doing? Peeing matchsticks inside of her va-jay-jay? And I guess the couple stands around for over 7 months naked like that. Then they calmly go for a short, smiley ride to the "Klinik" where what is presumably a doctor covers the woman in a shroud, and then places her on the table, and then both father and doctor creepily stand at opposite ends of the table while the even creepier sprog-like creature proceeds to crawl it's way outside of the mother's va-jay-jay without any help whatsoever from the creepy, smiley doctor. Then said doctor and father watch as the woman lays naked in bed playing with the sprog-like creature that escaped from her va-jay-jay...

Thanks for sharing. Tongue

Ste

numaari
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 January 10, 20:35:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Holy crap!

Trust it to the Germans to get right to the point.

Why do those people have no noses?  Leprosy?

edit:  Syberspunk, I guess you and I had the exact same reaction at the same time...  *hee*
Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 January 10, 21:48:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ehm, why am I not freaked out by this? I really don't see anything shocking about that book... must be my dutch upbringing. Where do american kids learn that babies come from, surely by now you've gone beyond the whole stork nonsense.

Right?

This is her picture as she was / It seems a thing to wonder on / As though mine image in the glass / Should tarry when myself am gone.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 January 10, 22:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not the where babies come from part.  Believe me, I'm Norwegian; we were shown actual videos of that in kinder garden... It's the horrible image of the grinning baby clawing its way out of it's mother's vagina on its own.  It's like something from Alien.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 January 10, 23:01:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to mention that the poor woman is being forced to give birth on her back! 
numaari
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 January 11, 00:11:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With her pigtails neatly laid to either side.

(The videos, which we were shown in high school, did not disturb me in the least.  It's the illustrations that are freaking me out.  Kids should be taught this stuff.)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: